PODS vs DOOR-TO-DOOR vs SMART MOVE

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
mibtp

PODS vs DOOR-TO-DOOR vs SMART MOVE

Postby mibtp » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:08 am

I have to move at the last minute from Los Angeles, put all my stuff in storage and head to Oregon for 1-2 months.

I have done online research on PODS, Smart Move and Door to Door. I have read bad reviews on PODS and Smart Moves and okay reviews on Door to Door.

I'm interested in putting my stuff in a pod/crate and have it stored for several months.

Please respond if you have used any of the services.

Cost is also very important to me. Is storing this way cheaper than a regular storage unit?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Patrice

Unclebenny

Re: PODS vs DOOR-TO-DOOR vs SMART MOVE

Postby Unclebenny » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:45 am

mibtp wrote:I have to move at the last minute from Los Angeles, put all my stuff in storage and head to Oregon for 1-2 months.

I have done online research on PODS, Smart Move and Door to Door. I have read bad reviews on PODS and Smart Moves and okay reviews on Door to Door.

I'm interested in putting my stuff in a pod/crate and have it stored for several months.

Please respond if you have used any of the services.

Cost is also very important to me. Is storing this way cheaper than a regular storage unit?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Patrice

Patrice,
I used PODS when I moved from Dallas to Tampa and it was pretty easy. I loaded the container before and after work for 4 days so I didn't have to take any time off. I had a lot of heavy stuff and I liked the fact they didn't charge by the pound. I looked into the Door-to-Door company and I think they were cheaper but the containers are half the size of a pods and made of plywood. You have to realize that if they are shipping crates then your stuff may not be as safe. I would definitely recommend Pods.
Hope that helps, good luck.
-- Unclebenny :D

mibtp

Postby mibtp » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:06 am

Thank you for the advice. I also came across a new company... 1-800 Pack Rat. They seem very professional. I'll have to research them as well.

Patrice

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:34 pm

how much stuff do you have? We recommend using ABF Relocubes at www.upack.com

mibtp

Postby mibtp » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:25 pm

I did try ABF but they were too expensive for me. I'm using 1-800-Packrat which has a deal of the first month storage for $1.

Patrice

LAbackEast

Postby LAbackEast » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:24 pm

How did Pack Rat go? I am looking into a similar type of move.
My move feels so complicated.
Please help me simplify!

mibtp

Postby mibtp » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:09 pm

It went great. I ended up using the 12' I believe and used every inch of it. They have metal containers. They picked up, stored, then brought to my new place once I moved back to California.

LAbackEast wrote:How did Pack Rat go? I am looking into a similar type of move.

alik57

Postby alik57 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:38 am

Watch 1800packrat if you are doing a long distance move and your moving coordinator is Faye in Raleigh, do yourself and your stress level a big favor and ask for a different coordinator. She screwed up my daughters move to CA from Chicago so horribly that the container almost didn't make it to her apt 3 weeks after it was picked up. It was a nightmare from the first time I talked with her on the phone to eventually being given another rep to deal with. I would send emails, leave voicemails and they were never returned. When I did get in touch with her, she bold faced lied about things that I was able to catch her in. The last straw was when I emailed about the whereabouts of the container, she never answered back and when I did get her on the phone, she told me she couldn't pull up the info. In reality, she put my daughters container in storage (for which I was charged another months rent on) and never moved it to CA as my contract stated. I finally called a facilities manager in the Chicago terminal and he directed me to forward the unanswered emails to him, he then forwarded them on to Faye's supervisor and I was called not 20 minutes later.

My new Moving Coordinator is wonderful..Melissa! Was finally able to get the container out this morning and should be arriving at my daughters as scheduled...barring any mechanical problems with the truck.

I should have realized I had problems when everyone I talked with, from the guy who dropped the container to the facilities manager in Chicago all made this horrible "good luck" type sound when they asked who was my moving coordinator.

Hopefully the container will reach it's destination on Saturday. I'm still waiting for a credit. Let's see how long this takes.

I'm not saying they aren't a good company, just keep track of the moving coordinator if her name is Faye.

alik57

Postby alik57 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:48 pm

Update: Container wasn't picked up again so now it won't get delivered until Tuesday. Oh this company is horrible! Because of one persons inability to do her job, the container is now going to be 4 days late getting to the apartment.

Anyone have any ideas on who to complain to? This isn't over yet. Their 5-10 business day from pick up to delivery is now going to be almost 20. What a joke!

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:32 pm

alik57 wrote:Update: Container wasn't picked up again so now it won't get delivered until Tuesday. Oh this company is horrible! Because of one persons inability to do her job, the container is now going to be 4 days late getting to the apartment.

Anyone have any ideas on who to complain to? This isn't over yet. Their 5-10 business day from pick up to delivery is now going to be almost 20. What a joke!

IF their name is pack rat, I guess to complain, you would have to ask for Mr. Rat. Or if he's not in, the Big Cheese.

Return to “Open Community”