Graebel, AA Awesome Relocation Update

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
afviolettes

Graebel, AA Awesome Relocation Update

Postby afviolettes » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:31 am

About 2 weeks ago I posted a question asking for reviews on the aforementioned companies - I got one positive review, unfortunately neither company has been even close to being able to provide a positive experience.

Lets start from the top:

AA Awesome Relocation Services, Wichita Falls Texas (a part of Wheaton Van Lines I believe...)

By far the absolute worst packers I've ever seen in my life. Wouldn't show up until 930 or 1000 when they were suppose to be there at 0800, when they did show up they would work for an HOUR, 1 HOUR then take a 2 hour lunch. They were given two days to pack and wound up being at my residence until 9PM on the 3rd day after Graebel (whom I'll get to later) left with about 80% of my stuff due to their stupidity.

So because of Graebel sending too small of a truck AA Awesome had to take some of my stuff to their warehouse to await another Graebel driver. Not only did AA Awesome try to pass this "job" on to another company, driver, basically anyone that would listen. The "workers" spent at least 1.5 hours griping and moaning about who's "fault" it was that they were having to work so late and MOVE some of my stuff to the warehouse. On the way to the warehouse they successfully broke a 80$ heat/avian lamp, lost 3 boxes of clothes, and lost the original inventory sheet (no worries I have a copy). When the Graebel driver shows up, AA Awesome reinventories the goods, leaving off the 3 boxes (as if they never existed... did the forget I had a copy of the original??) and marking the lamp THEY broke as broken from my residence!!

The nightmare didn't stop there....

Graebel

Overall I'm severely disappointed with this carrier. I had such a warm and fuzzy feeling while they were loading my things. The driver and his helper were VERY competent and seemed to be very meticulous - man was I fooled!

While they were dismantling a large china cabinet they dragged the top along the base creating a huge gouge in the base. They did this in front of my wife and promised they would annotate it on the inventory sheet. So they day goes on ... My wife takes my 3 year old to see some friends for the last time (and the house is a complete disaster at this point ... realizing that they can't fit all my stuff on their truck everyone is frantic). So this Graebel driver I had so much faith in completely robbed us blind at this point. He had looked my wife in the face and promised her to get it on the sheet, I didn't know what had happened so I didn't even bother to check - it wasn't until AFTER the goods were at my new residence did I see the gouge and corresponding inventory where he indicated that's how it came from the residence!! He ruined my furniture and then said that's how he packed it!!! Ridiculous!

So because there was a very short distance between my old and new residence the driver beat me to the new residence but couldn't wait 5 hours for me to get there because he still had another 8 hours to drive on the day - no worries, I wasn't going to keep him, I understood... Kinda par for the course with military moves... So the items went into a warehouse in the town we're living in. The warehouse agents (an Allied Van Line - whom I was very pleased with their unloading, care, placement etc etc - especially since I was so pissed about what was happening), marked off each box, piece of furniture etc as it came off the truck at the warehouse - 8 BOXES of Clothes came up missing... 8 boxes from my house never made it off the truck!

So, up to this point that's a total of 11 Boxes of clothes, 1 China Cabinet, 1 Dresser (backing warped, impacted, cut and damaged), an expensive lamp, and countless other items that may be missing or damaged that we have yet to discover!

My dad was in the military for 20+ years, we moved 7-8 times and I can only recall one move that was maybe half this bad - only because they damaged a lot of furniture. Everyone I talk to can't believe that all this has happened!

So I pose a question to you all, so that I could get some other opinions.

I have several options that I can go through to recover this stuff (which by the way, damages/losses are totaling around 6000$ and we still have a TON of stuff to unpack.. "yay")

1) According to new DOD regulations if I want to make a claim, I have to do it DIRECTLY to the carrier. The carrier then has 60 days (mind you I've lost my entire wardrobe, my wife lost at least half hers and my daughter has lost a lot too) to pay, deny or partial pay my claims.

- After 30 days I am able to use the "military hammer" and have legal begin to put pressure on the carrier, but I have to wait a FULL 30 from first contact with the carrier (of the claims process) before legal will assist me.
- This is all done at FRV (Full Replacement Value, NO depreciation). Of course I have to get them to agree that my things are that expensive.

2) I have a renters policy that is supposed to "follow" my goods where ever I go, including in-transit during moving...

- The military has given me carte blanche on which avenue to choose and will absolve themselves of any work unless I follow option 1 above
- I have yet to find out if making such a large claim would be fully covered and if this would adversely effect my rates for the following year when and if they'll let me renew my policy.

3 - not really an option but a must) Every DOD move has to be evaluated/reviewed by the member. They send you to a site, ask you to rate services 1-5, 1-10 etc then leave a nice BIG block at the end for your "additional comments." The last time I moved I had some not-so-nice things to say about that carrier, it did net me an apologetic letter - granted that move didn't result in 6k + of damage/lost items, the letter was acceptable.

- What the DOD is EXCEPTIONAL at is ranking movers, packers, agents etc etc ... So even 1 warranted bad review will keep these idiots from working, military/dod/government moves for quite some time. While I'll regain no monetary value out of it, I'll get the satisfaction that they won't screw someone else over...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The thing that sucks the most is that this was nearly ALL of my clothes. My wife and daughter have a ton of clothes and really, they are not affected. But me, it was everything that I had, jeans, dress pants, shirts etc etc - I mean I can only wear my uniform for so long each day I gotta have clothes!

Also, most of these things I needed yesterday - I can't sit around waiting for 60 days on a "maybe" I'll get money from the carrier. Even though I'll probably wind up spending they money, because you know, you gotta have clothes its like taking the worst kind of "loan" because I have NO idea when and if they'll give me anything....

So now that I've ranted for a good half of your screen, let me know what you think, what would your next course of action be (I already ruled out choking the fools that stole all my clothes, but I'm open to other hilarious suggestions).

- AF

*If any of you are wondering if I was rude etc to anyone involved in the process - answer would be NO! I bought the packers lunch all 3 days, the first Grabel driver, the Graebel driver that delivered my overflow goods, the Allied individuals that delivered my "main" goods. I was bend-over-backwards hospitable with all involved - this is how I usually am, but you know I figured this would curtail any ... mistakes ... wrong again bucko!

**I've also kept excellent copies of everything, the inventory, GBL, etc etc. I took pictures of all the things that we could (china cabinet and dresser)... It seems that all of my I's and T's are dotted and crossed... now I have to just pick my poison .. so to speak ..
Last edited by afviolettes on Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

afviolettes

Re: HERENDOUS - Graebel, AA Awesome Relocation Update - A COMPLETE NIGHTMAR

Postby afviolettes » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:36 am

" "
Last edited by afviolettes on Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:01 am

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

afviolettes

Postby afviolettes » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:43 am

Rick thanks for the points. I'm just waiting for the clock to tick tick to 0730 so I can get on the phone ... I'm also head into JAG after I speak with the Carrier and my insurance company.

- It's just rotten how this works ya know - not knowing where the stuff is .. playing a waiting game .. mean while .. you've got nothing!! (to wear in my case)

And...

I really wasn't trying to imply that this was a "scam" per say. I can see how some of my wording would lead to that. I was attempting to more emphasis on how bad things actually went between the pack, move, delivery, missing pieces etc.

Maybe start a new forum .. "Really awesomely bad moves" ?

And with regard to the high price tag .. think about it ...

1 pair of jeans is 30-50$ .. It's possible I lost 6 pairs .. My wife 3-5 pairs (she likes those expensive Express/Abercrombie ones ... 80-100 ea). Hoodies, Shirts, Shorts all around 30-50$ each... If you were to just look in your closet and think of the things you've accumulated over the years, the price doesn't seem too-far-fetched. Think kids clothes ... even more expensive!

The damaged furniture, brand new, checked yesterday each piece bought individual is in the 600-900$ - thats of course assuming it can't be repaired...

Never really realized how much money I actually spent on some of this stuff until I had to figure out what was missing.

Thanks for the comments!

**Oh and I had a giant filing cabinet full of nice receipts all organized, haven't checked if its in any of the other boxes in the house yet, but I know two missing boxes were inventoried as "clothes and papers" - lets hope I left some mail laying around!

afviolettes

Postby afviolettes » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:54 am

Out of the FRV coverage...

"10. Essential Items.
--- The TSP is responsible for promptly dealing with owners who have had essential items lost, destroyed or made unusable due to damage. You MUST notify the TSP, military claims office, or personal property shipping office of such a loss within 7 days of the date the goods were delivered.
--- Essential items include but are not limited to: (1) Refrigerators or other appliances necessary for the safe storage and preparation of food, (2) Necessary medical equipment and (3) Mattresses.
--- Upon notification of the loss of an essential item, within two (2) business days, the TSP shall either pay for such items, provide temporary or permanent replacements for them, or make other arrangements as agreed to by you.
--- Any payments made by the TSP shall be considered an advance on any claim and should not exceed the TSP’s expected total liability. You are required to file a claim for the loss. Any advance payment will be deducted from your eventual award."

How are clothes not an essential item ?? I mean I understand ... but really ?

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:02 am

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

afviolettes

Postby afviolettes » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:05 am

And then they wonder why we (members) are so frustrated trying to get our things back, located or confirmed lost!!

I think have 3-5 emails all about Families First haha.. gotta love it!

Noone

Postby Noone » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:54 pm

I see three different Van Lines here - Graebel, Wheaton, and Allied.

Is there any reason this wasn't kept with the same Van Lines for the entire move? I can see a lot of finger pointing going on here.

afviolettes

Postby afviolettes » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:36 pm

From the way I understand it ... The contract was given to Graebel, Graebel then sub-contracted to AA Awesome for packing.

AA Awesome is affiliated or a subsidiary of Wheaton Van lines.

Because I was unable to accept shipment on the day they arrived here, they put my shipment in a warehouse owned by Allied Van Lines (who subsequently unloaded my stuff).

I'm not sure how it's going to all play out - I spoke with Graebel early Friday morning and they were supposed to e-mail me a claims form and call me back to see if they could rush trace and settle for the clothes so I had something to wear but I've yet to here anything.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:21 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

afviolettes

Postby afviolettes » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:25 pm

Right ...

So my understanding is that this will all fall on Graebel regardless of who individually is at fault?

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:53 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

afviolettes

Postby afviolettes » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:47 am

So... a word to the wise...

After an unpleasant conversation with a lady in the claims department at Graebel this is what I learned...

1) Under FRV I'm entitled to $4 times the weight of my shipment, not to exceed 50,000$.
2) If you are unable to provide a specific receipt/bank or credit card statement to prove you bought it (i.e. your entire closet of clothes) or if you don't have a way to prove your clothes "spending habits." Then you will be reimbursed by dividing 50,000 by the number of inventory line items you have. In my case its around 350, which means I'd get about 140$ per box of clothes missing. If I make a claim of anything about 140$ without proof of receipt or "spending habit" it'll be denied.
- To this I asked the lady on the phone if she would be able to go home and get a receipt for every piece of clothing she's bought to prove that she bought it - of course, like 99.9% of people she said NO. But for me .. it was well if you don't have the receipt .. too bad. Must be nice to be on the other end of the pole their sticking ... well you get the picture.

:evil: So ... they lost 11 4.5cu boxes, and 1 3.1cu box ... at 140$ a box, that's not even 3 pairs of jeans in a single box, or 3 nice shirts, or 10 tshirts... Must have used a lot of paper in those boxes. :evil:

Take a picture of your closet every 6 months so you'll be able to provide these dips$!ts with proof that you do actually wear clothes.

Be sure to seriously KEEP EVERY SINGLE RECEIPT or GIFT RECEIPT or whatever that proves that you buy clothes. So if you move every 4 years like I do that's probably equivalent to a decent sized box full of receipts... but hey think about this way - if the IRS ever audits you, you'll be covered!.

Oh and initially she tried to tell me my things were only worth 34,000$ .. when I told her that was impossible because there was no value ever told to anyone or provided to anyone, she said she had my GBL in front of her clearly stating that I signed it and didn't change the value, even though I insisted the value didn't exist... So until I got a copy of the GBL to call her back and "evaluated" it with her one the phone did she change her tune and tell me she had to talk to her supervisor and call me back...She did call me back, not screwing me on the value this time, but instead on 140$ box.. SWWEET!

This is so freaking ridiculous...

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:40 am

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

murphy

Postby murphy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:06 am

I agree with Rick, this forum is not for your situation. I also don't know anybody who can explain the DP3 mess. The carriers are getting screwed also, as they have no recourse when they are scored low. The last set of scores I got in had a low score on a pack job and the customer had remarked "on the first day the packers were two hours late" which was a total lie because I called the afternoon before and told them we'd be there between 8:00 and 8:30 am. The packers got there at 8:05 - I know because I packed the job also. But we are stuck with the low score because there is no rebuttal process. I have a performance report signed by the customer showing the time we arrived and the time we left. But he can and did lie on us and there's nothing we can do. And you're right low score mean less business so we may loose business because this guy is a liar. That's fair huh?

Return to “Open Community”