ALERT - avoid US-1 Van Lines aka Transit USA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Evan B

ALERT - avoid US-1 Van Lines aka Transit USA

Postby Evan B » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:45 pm

I'm planning an interstate move (NY to Louisiana) next month. Does anyone know any reason why I shouldn't use Transit USA aka US-1 Van Lines (mc# 312529)? They have given an in-home estimate and what is labelled a "Binding Estimate of Cost."

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

-eb.

Diane

Re: Does anyone know US-1 Van Lines aka Transit USA?

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:19 am

Evan, it's great that you got the MC number because that lets us identify the company you're considering. Many companies have similar names. This is what MusicMom posted about your company recently:

US-1 Van Lines, however, is one I think you should pass by. For one, they are not "of Texas", they are based in Norcross, GA, and have a mailing address in Miami. We've found these to be two of the areas in the country where scammers congregate, along with NYC, Jessup, MD, CA, and parts of MA. Assuming they are the US-1 Van Lines with a DOT number of 668690, MC# 312529, then here's their snapshot. They have been in business for a while, and have many trucks and drivers, but there are enough of the "red flags" that I would worry. Not only are they based in Norcross, but they advertise on www.vanlines.com and www.123movers.com, which are two sites known to be heavily, if not completely, infested with scammers. They have a very long history of insurance changes and cancellations. They had an insurance rejected because they applied under a different name. Also, if you look at their SafeStat info, you'll see they have numerous violations of drivers not having proper licenses, falsifying records, not keeping records, driving more than 15 hours at a time, reckless driving. Their trucks were faulted for inoperable brakes, cracked/broken frames, axle parts missing, etc. They were also fined $2000 by the DOT for three offenses.

I will just add the final kiss of death:- the branches of US-1 Van Lines located in Florida and Georgia are blacklisted on www.movingadvocateteam.com. One person posting on this site said they gave her a low quote based on cubic feet, which is a big no-no. DO NOT USE this company.

Interesting that they are giving a "Binding" estimate. I assure you that if they want to scam you, and they probably do, this estimate will mean nothing. Scammers will say anything and put anything in writing, and it all means nothing once your goods are on the truck.

If cost is a concern and you would consider a U-Pack, We-Drive mover, contact either ABF at www.upack.com or Broadway Express (BE) at www.broadwayexpress.net. Here is a FAQ sheet that I wrote to explain how these companies operate - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1771
You can arrange for loading and unloading labor through either ABF or BE and the cost is likely to still be at least 30% below the cost of a reputable full-service mover. ABF has almost 70 mostly very favorable reviews on Epinions and BE has well over a dozen mostly very favorable reviews on this website.

EvanB

Postby EvanB » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:41 am

Thanks a lot for the reply and for all the great information. I will steer clear of Transit USA.

I'd love to use Upack or Broadway, but I'm going to need storage too--that and the fact that my current apartment is a 4th-floor walkup makes me want a full-service mover. Cost is a concern but my move is a small one. I don't have a lot of furniture. My "binding" estimate from Transit USA was $1100.

Thanks again for the help. I'm pretty mystified by this process of choosing a mover, and I'm still open to any and all suggestions.

-eb.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:54 am

ABF can't provide storage, except short-term. They charge $50/day for short-term storage, such as 10 days or less.

You are on an extremely tight budget, but you might call Broadway Express to see whether there is anything they can do for you with regard to storage and labor, keeping in mind your limited budget for all this.

EvanB

Postby EvanB » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:41 am

Thanks a lot, again. My budget isn't really so limited. US-1's estimate was low, but I'm more than willing to pay more than that. If I could hear a story about a mover in the NYC area that did not rip people off, I'd gladly pay the cost and consider myself lucky. But I've yet to see one example of that here, so I'm pretty discouraged.

I appreciate all the help.

-eb.

IMP

Postby IMP » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:17 am

If you wish to post your origin and destination zip codes - and what weight you're getting estimates on - I'll be happy to tell you what a "reasonable cost" would be for that move. The timing of your move would also be important. I think you said July - do you have a date by which you MUST vacate your current apartment?

And you said you need storage. Do you anticipate storing in NYC or in Louisiana? With the mover, or self-storage?

I know - lots of variables.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:26 am

Keep in mind, if you use any service (rent yourself, or a You-Pack) and need to hire guys to help you unload, not many people will accept that kind of loading job, with a fourth floor walkup.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:33 am

I'm happy to give all my info in order to get good advice. My current zip code is 11106. I don't know the exact zip I'm moving to yet (I'll know in a week), but it's in the vicinity of 71115. I have to be out of my apartment by the end of July, but not by any specific date. For me, the later the better, but I've been advised that waiting until the very end of the month will increase the price of the move. The third week in July is fine with me. I've been estimated at about 2000 pounds, and I was hoping the mover would store my stuff. I'll only need storage for about 2 weeks.

I think that's all my info. I'm really grateful for any more advice that anyone can offer, or any estimate of what a reasonable price would be for this move. Thanks.

EvanB

Postby EvanB » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:35 am

And sorry--that last message, quoted below, was from me, EvanB. Thanks again!

Anonymous wrote:I'm happy to give all my info in order to get good advice. My current zip code is 11106. I don't know the exact zip I'm moving to yet (I'll know in a week), but it's in the vicinity of 71115. I have to be out of my apartment by the end of July, but not by any specific date. For me, the later the better, but I've been advised that waiting until the very end of the month will increase the price of the move. The third week in July is fine with me. I've been estimated at about 2000 pounds, and I was hoping the mover would store my stuff. I'll only need storage for about 2 weeks.

I think that's all my info. I'm really grateful for any more advice that anyone can offer, or any estimate of what a reasonable price would be for this move. Thanks.

IMP

Postby IMP » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:55 am

If my math is right, and using pretty conservative discounts based upon what's going on in the market right now - I'd say you are looking at approximately $1930 if you pack yourself, and $2370 if you have the movers pack you. This includes: loading the truck, driving from NY to LA, storage for 14 days, IRGI and fuel surcharges. It does not include shuttles (if necessary) or valuation (should you choose it). S.I.T. which is included is charged on a daily basis - and any additional days would be under $10.00 per day based on a weight of 2,000#. Hope this helps.

IMP

Postby IMP » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:56 am

Evan - please register, I may have another thought or two to share with you.

EvanB

Postby EvanB » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:10 am

Just wanted to say thanks again for the advice. ~$2000 is a lot more than my estimate from US-1, which I suspected was too good to be true, but it's right about what I expected to pay when I started looking for movers. I'll keep looking, and when it's over I'll post about my experience.

But as always, if anyone has more advice, I'll be checking. Often.

-eb.

DeloresB

Postby DeloresB » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:19 am

Hi,
I reviewed your entries with great interest. Transit USA US-1 van line actually came highly recommended to me by a close friend of mine who moved to Miami, FL. His Items are stored in their location there, where he has access to it. His quote was $ 3.450 and it was a binding etimate of cost. the actual cost was $ 3,050 since the actual cu. ft. was less than that estimated. he was very happy with the service he recieved. I also checked into the recommendation letters given to me by the company and was very impressed with them. I did a lot of research on moving companies in NY and I found that not one had 100% clean record. Transit USA aka US-1 van lines has been in business for a while and they have a pritty decent record with the BBB. I will be definetly moving with them. I will let you know how the move goes. my move is for July.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:30 am

Delores,

Can I ask where you're moving from/to? Did they seriously give you an estimate based on cubic feet?

Thanks!
Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:42 am

Well I'm glad you feel they have a "pritty" decent record and that you are "definetly" moving with them.

I think I recognize a familiar pattern... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

As log as you're in the mood for self sacrifice, our local aquarium is running low on shark food. Perhaps you'd like to volunteer an arm and a leg? After all, you'll still have an arm and a leg left after US-1 Van Line rips you off for an arm and a leg.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Return to “Open Community”