$7,000.00 for a U-Haul?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Jake

$7,000.00 for a U-Haul?

Postby Jake » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:05 am

:shock: $7,000.00 for a 15' U-Haul from Seattle to Florida! I almost fell off my chair when I heard this quote. Penske is $4,200.00 for the same size. I can't believe anyone would be foolish enough to pay this price for a self move. We've decided on ABF Movers after reading the feedback on epinions although we have to pick up at a transfer station. We've checked out 10 full service movers and still can't seem to find one that we feel is 100% honest as well as affordable.

Diane

Re: $7,000.00 for a U-Haul?

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:34 am

Good choice, Jake. Please post the number of linear feet you're reserving and ABF's quote so people can get a sense of what it would cost them to use the terminal-to-terminal option, or whatever you have chosen, for a cross-country move.

Jake

Postby Jake » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:05 am

Diane wrote:Good choice, Jake. Please post the number of linear feet you're reserving and ABF's quote so people can get a sense of what it would cost them to use the terminal-to-terminal option, or whatever you have chosen, for a cross-country move.
ABF U-Pack Moving Quote price is based on 16 linear feet for $3,544.00. Minimum charge is $3,019.00 if we use less space. Additional space over 16 is $175.00 per l/ft. Ramp rental is $75.00 and does not go to the final destination. They will drop off the 29 ft. trailer 2 days prior to departure and gaurantee final delivery 7-9 working days (Mon-Fri + Holidays) to terminal. It sounds like a lot of work to transfer items to a u-haul and then to our house, but the price is pretty good as well as the great feedback on epinions.com. I will post an update at the end of our move around July 10th.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:39 am

Jake,

I am sure there are not any companies (national) to move you the furthest you can possible move in the US any cheaper then ABF. BUT, there are plenty of great companies in the Seattle area.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:52 am

Jake, is there some reason that you are getting your things delivered to a terminal rather than to your residence? Just wondered.

Also, people should take note of this sentence in your ABF quote: "Ramp rental is $75.00 and does not go to the final destination."

The ABF spokesperson I talked to told me that the ramp is supposed to stay at the origin terminal. It isn't supposed to be shipped to the destination terminal with the person's goods. I believe that she said that the ramps are marked to indicate which terminal they "belong" to. However, in my own case when my things arrived at my residence in the destination city there was a ramp (which I didn't pay for) in the trailer. I don't know whether it was the same ramp I had used at origin, but I was pretty happy about the error and I confess that I didn't bring it to anyone's attention!

Jake

Postby Jake » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:34 pm

Diane wrote:Jake, is there some reason that you are getting your things delivered to a terminal rather than to your residence? Just wondered.

ABF does not deliver to the city we are moving to. Since they are union, they only do front door delivery to certain cities. The main transfer station closest to us is Tampa so we don't really have any other option. It will be kind of a pain to have to unload to another truck, but after reading thier feedback, we feel it's the best choice. We just received a quote from All American Moving so we're going to check them out as well since they will come to our front door.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:31 pm

Jake, did you check out the bad stuff about All American Moving on this website? You can start with this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1302
PLEASE don't use this company!

Jake

Postby Jake » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:24 am

Diane wrote:Jake, did you check out the bad stuff about All American Moving on this website? You can start with this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1302
PLEASE don't use this company!
Thanks for the heads up. I just now found the 'Black List' and there they were! Looks like ABF all the way. The hour is late and we just have to accept the facts that we'll have to do a transfer. It won't be so bad. The price is good and we know we won't have to worry about others trashing our things out. Thanks for the help. We appreciate it so much! :D

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:37 am

You're very welcome! If you have time to post the amount of the quote from All American I would be interested to see how much it was. Also, the ABF lady told me that sometimes they'll let you use a ramp at the terminal without paying for it if they have one lying around and you smile at them. Just a thought. Good luck!

Jake

Postby Jake » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:50 pm

Michael wrote:Jake,

I am sure there are not any companies (national) to move you the furthest you can possible move in the US any cheaper then ABF. BUT, there are plenty of great companies in the Seattle area.

Best of luck,
It's not all about cost, it has to do with feedback as well. Every full service mover we had quotes from, have horrible feedback. Where are the plenty of GREAT companies in Seattle? I've heard negative comments from friends/family members that have moved out of this area (Seattle) that have household items stolen, lost, broken and mis-quotes. One example was Bekins. They 'lost' over $3,000.00 of my mil clothing, plus one box of very expensive keepsakes on the way to AZ.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:14 pm

All American is a huge scam!! Glad you didn't go with them.
If anyone wants another story on how they scam or to work together to fight back. Please contact me. writet77-aps@yahoo.com

KJ

Postby KJ » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:04 pm

I'd heard that U'Haul's customer service was going down the tubes.

I needed to rent a truck for overnight for my recnt move. After checking local prices, U-Haul was the best. So I reserved a truck a couple weeks in advance.

When I went to get it, they brought out this banged up, diesel-smoking truck. My fiance took one look at my face as I was gasping for air. I told him I couldn't take the truck due to asthma, also not all gas stations in Chicago stock diesel fuel and we would have had to drive way out of our way to find a station to return the truck with the same amount of fuel in it (increasing cost-per-mile).

So, my fiance went back inside and requested a gasoline truck, and also took OFF the insurance, which he'd insisted I get at first (though I balked insisting I didn't think we'd need it).

So... my first receipt -- which I signed, had a cost of $19.95 for the truck, and $14.95 for insurance.

When he went back in, he had them remove the insurance, but he rented a dolly for $7.00.

The next day when we returned the truck with correct amount of fuel and only 13 miles on it, they wanted to charge me $29.95 for the truck, $7.00 for the dolly and $5.00 for furniture pads (which we didn't ask for and never got!).

Additionally, the day before I'd bought a $3.00 box, but didn't end up using it so took it back. Looking at the receipt, they never charged me for the box, but had me fill out a refund slip to refund my money.

We waited in line FOREVER to get service, and just as it was my turn at the counter, the young woman asked if she could help me. I told her I was returning a truck. With a jerk of her head, she said, "He'll have to help you," and indicated a man off to her right that was working up a deposit with another woman. She did a few things on the computer, then started closing out her computer.

Finally after several l-o-n-g minutes, the guy walked around the corner and started to ask someone else in the now long line, if he could help them. I said, "Excuse me, I'm next." He looked startled and said he thought I was being helped.

Turns out... he was the manager and didn't know a thing about what to do. He went to the computer, and the young gal who'd told me that he'd have to help me, ended up telling him what to key into the computer!

After several minutes, I jokingly said "Looks like it would have just been quicker for YOU to do this." She shrugged and said, "I'm off the clock." Then walked away!

*$^@&!

When the manager told me the total, which was SO incorrect, everyone behind me groaned loudly when he picked up the phone to call some help desk. He couldn't get an answer, so finally he asked for my telephone number, said he'd correct the problem and call me with the amount they were going to charge my credit card.

That was April 23 and I'm still waiting for that call! They charged my card the incorrect amount (about $33 too much), so I called my Visa company and lodged a complaint. Visa credited my account then sent me a letter asking for verifying financial docs.

Good luck. The receipts U-Haul gave me are FAINT carbonless copies of very long register receipts. Too faint to read well and who would believe such an idiot-story about not getting charged for this, but getting charged for that, not receiving this, exchanging that?

I love U-Haul's boxes but won't use their services again!

By the way, this was the U-Haul store on Broadway Street in Chicago near Wrigley Field. One guy standing behind me said they used to be awful, then a new manager took over and turned it around, but that manager left and now they're awful again. The manager working the day I went seemed nice, apologized saying he was new, which endeared him to me. But the other people working there had basic "it's not my job so screw you" attitudes!

Kim

Serenity

U-Haul?

Postby Serenity » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:17 pm

I think the U-haul manager makes a big difference. When I made the move from Houston to Texas. I reserved a 10 ft truck. When I went to pick it up, the manager gave me a 14 ft instead because it was almost new and the 10 ft had a lot of mileage on it. He said he didn't want me driving cross country with it. I appreciated the consideration.

However, I am now moving back to Virginia and I was quoted $1200 for the same 10 ft truck that I rented (twice as much as I paid last year). I contacted Penske and got a quote for $522. WOW!

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:21 pm

Serenity, if you haven't already looked at this link telling how to get a 20-22% discount with Penske, you might want to look at it - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1674

Return to “Open Community”