U-Haul - Good Experience

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
povphile

U-Haul - Good Experience

Postby povphile » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:40 pm

Folks, you have seen my rants on how my last move went. I decided I would not use another mover. Went with U-haul on RT3 in Fredericksburg VA for a one way to CLearwater Florida.

They team at U Haul had the truck ready, and the trailer. It was clean and in good condition. When I got the truck mostly loaded and realized I needed more truck, they didnt bat an eye. Performed an equipment swap and got me the bigger truck in 30 minutes.

The equipment all performed extremely well and the drop off was just as painless.

I will do it again next time, except I might hire some loading and unloading help.
Don't argue with a fool, people may not be able to tell the difference.

ArchieWhite

Re: U-Haul - Good Experience

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:21 am

Are you saying you had nearly finished loading when you realized you needed a bigger truck, so you got a bigger truck and offloaded the first one, onto the 2nd one?

povphile

Postby povphile » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:05 pm

That is almost exactly what I am saying. We offloaded the forst truck to the carport, got the new truck, and loaded it all into that one. Thank goodness for a couple of neighborhood kids in need of some cash.

minimoves2000

Postby minimoves2000 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:58 am

So the move cost more than you estimated and this was a good experience for you? U haul gave you the wrong truck but was happy to take your money and that makes them wonderful? You hired employees without workers comp insurance to do dangerous work and you thank goodness? If you were a mover you would be Blacklisted. If you were the shipper you would be on the board bashing and demanding a refund. Please come back and say how most of your stuff arrived ok and only a few things got scratched and busted.

How ironic this was a "good experience" How about the truth?: "I’m cheep or poor and cant see the value of professional service. My stuff is crap (or soon will be) and I don’t know what I’m doing. So I will exploit some kids to load the truck and found this to be slightly cheaper than hiring real movers. No mover will ever scam me !! Look everybody I scammed myself" :hmm:
Last edited by minimoves2000 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

minimoves2000

Postby minimoves2000 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:07 am

asdf

povphile

Postby povphile » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Wow. What an angry person you are. Are you mad that I did not call some down on his luck laborer to move my stuff. U-haul offered and I was doing just fine until I had to unload the truck.

I asked for a truck that was too small. Uhaul gave me a bigger truck at NO ADDITIONAL COST, when I realized my mistake. I am an older man with a heart condition, When I asked my son's friends if they wanted to make a few bucks they came willingly. When we got the truck re-loaded, they got paid and were HAPPY to stay and finish the job for the pizza. I didnt thind loading a bunch of boxes with a dolly required a degree in Load Management and, after checking with my insurance company, I was very comfortable getting them to help. Did I mention there Was a couple of desks and a washer and dryer. The rest was BOXES.

You seem to be mistaking the concept of a self move with a "professsional services move". My own experience with a PSM was as horrifying as they come. Dont believe me? Check out my posts about Yoram Kalak or search Google on him for that matter. Perhaps you know him or Ilan Nahum.

This move was F-ing Wonderful by comparison.

I will NEVER hire another mover if I can aviod it. IF I do find myself in need of one, some day, you can bet I will do my best to ensure that the mover knows I will know where he lives, what his phone numbers are, and will have SOLID references, before he or she gets my posessions.

Don't come on here preaching to me. I do not know one mover that I have any respect for (the closest would be Charlie White and I dont know him).

You are REALLY giving the wrong person crap here because I don't know you, and do not have any reason to be swayed by your statements.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:27 pm

No one has mentioned this to you, but i would strongly suggest that you remove your reference to someone being a criminal from your tag line.

That could be construed in a court of law and libelious and slanderous, and you could place this website in a position of supporting such comments.

You are entitled to your general comments about your lack of respect for movers, as you haven't named any per se.

I have been in this business for over 20 yrs, and we can't satisfy every consumer every single time, but I think we have a pretty good track record as a whole. It's unfortunate that you had to experience one from the bottom of the barrel, but those of us who work for good companies won't hold it against you.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

minimoves2000

Postby minimoves2000 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:45 am

Actually, was really commenting on the IRONY of DIY moving. Many self moves go like yours…. poorly. The delusion consumers go through to justify how they got the wrong equipment, underestimated the true cost, put friends and family a risk of injury or how only a few things got broken is really amusing. I’m sure a few here were inspired on that a great tip on how to hire cheep labor with pizza. Yet you praise how great your move was. It’s funny how tolerant you are when YOU screw up. Your move was mediocre at best. Perhaps a couple bucks and a pizza on that “down on his luck laborer” would have been better spent. Especially on a mover that has training, insurance, proper licenses, workers comp, provides benefits for employees and generally give a hoot. Not on kids that don’t know how to load or lift. But that would cost too much

Yoram Kalak gets more jobs because consumers like you think that service comes in a generic cardboard box and as long as you keep shopping for the cheapest price you have done your homework. I don't know him, his company or his lawyers. However, I would drop the link before they start to see you as more than an annoyance. I do know why you hired him. After all, he only sells one thing - CHEEP. You withhold information and minimize your needs as a negotiation tactic. Then scream SCAM! SCAM! when the TRUTH comes out on moving day. Your cheep or poor and this often blows up in your face and has left you untrusting, paranoid and delusional. Like how you rational a bad self-move and turn it into good experience. I picked you because you are exactly the element that is my industries problem. You went from another sucker for a bad mover to irresponsible bashing zealot. Also, U- Haul does not give out larger trucks for free. Homeowner’s Insurance does not cover you as an employer for workers comp claims and don’t have any respect for a real mover is because you have never had the experience or the means to hire one.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:59 am

OK, enough, mini. Not everyone can afford the services of your company, and others have completely lost faith in professional movers. Gotta say, you're not helping the industry's image right now. You should be trying to pull customers back in with knowledge and help, not make them think you're all assholes to be avoided.

povphile

Postby povphile » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:42 am

"means to hire one."

That's a good one. You refuse to believe anything I am saying because you don't seem to understand that some still respect what the word service means.

And please, don't even pretend to understand what my means are.

Anyway, Thanks for playing, hope all your moves are smooth ones and all your customers are understanding.

As far as legit movers, I know they are out there. I have moved several times and had MOSTLY good experiences. For those of you doing a good job, I say bravo. Keep up the good work.

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:28 pm

povphile wrote:...I am an older man with a heart condition...

Given that moving is known to be a very stressful endeavor, is it wise for an older person with a heart condition to undertake a self-move? :?
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Thank you pov for not lumping us all in with the bad.

Best wishes
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

povphile

Postby povphile » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:37 pm

cnoblit wrote:
povphile wrote:...I am an older man with a heart condition...

Given that moving is known to be a very stressful endeavor, is it wise for an older person with a heart condition to undertake a self-move? :?

It's not even wise for me to make whoopie, but I still do. If you can pace yourself, you can accomplish much young padawan.

povphile

Postby povphile » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:41 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:Thank you pov for not lumping us all in with the bad.

Best wishes

I am not a fan of generalizations. I really do respect those in an industry that do try to provide the services that have been paid for. I love when someone says "Hey, would you mind being a reference?"

My move with Yoram and Co cost me over 14k from Tampa to VA and took MONTHS. I know this is not typical which is why my sig line mentioned names.

It is good to know that there are honest, hard working, people out there that take pride in their work and reputation.

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:46 pm

I know a sales rep from another company in my area who recently moved himself locally using a Pod and his son as a helper. Even though he had the ability to be moved by his company at a very high discount, he chose to do the job himself, to save some bucks. Neither he or his son had any prior moving experience.

Turns out during the move of the sofabed either he or his son (or both) twisted the piece without warning/communicating their intention to the other person. Now, my friend has 2 ruptured discs in his lower lumbar. He spent a week flat on his back after he was injured and has been going for heat treatments and physical therapy for months. He still has significant pain issues and has trouble sleeping properly. During every conversation I have had with this man since his move - he consistently "kicks himself in the you-know-what" that he gave himself a permanent, debilitating injury to save some money.

You might save a few bucks with a DIY move, but you can't know the downside cost in physical and/or other terms of what could happen if there is an accident.

Honestly, your argument of having sex with a heart condition and moving yourself at 77 y.o. with a heart condition as justification for taking a chance with your health (and your life) is pretty weak. One is a built-in natural urge; the other was a choice you made to save money. The day I wake up in the morning with an urge to move myself, I'm signing up with a shrink.

Consider yourself lucky that neither you or anyone else was hurt during your move. It might have come out very differently and I would advise anyone, of any age, that has a heart or other serious condition against a DIY move.

Return to “Open Community”