**Planes review - Chicago to NYC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
gone2nyc

**Planes review - Chicago to NYC

Postby gone2nyc » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:53 pm

I recently finished a very successful move from Chicago to Manhattan using Planes, and this board was a great help in choosing a mover, so I wanted to add my story to the knowledge base.

I was moving a 1 br apartment on short notice. Based on the superlist and some other information, I contacted Planes, Prager, and Berger via email. Planes and Berger got in touch with me very quickly to schedule an estimate; Prager did not respond. I considered contacting another company to get a 3rd estimate, but I both companies I spoke to sounded very professional, and I decided not to contact a 3rd company.

Both estimators did a good job with the estimate and walking me through the process. I had done a move a little more than a year ago that was paid by my employer, so I had some experience with interstate moving, but this was the first time I would be paying myself, so I was more engaged in the financial side of the process. The Planes estimator came in a few hundred lbs lighter than the Berger rep, and ~$400 cheaper. The Berger rep told me that he thought he might have been overestimating the weight and that they would issue a refund for any overestimate. I can understand that idea, but the fact that Planes was willing to issue a binding estimate using a lighter weight was a point in their favor. One thing that surprised me with Planes was that for packing my flat screen tv, they sold a box designed for TVs for ~$250, but the estimator told me I could buy the same box from UHaul for ~100. I was surprised that Planes built in such a large profit margin on the boxes, but at least he told me about my other option, so I don't know if that's a point in their favor or against. The Berger guy said they sold a box at a price much closer to what Uhaul charged.

Overall, I felt extremely comfortable with both companies, and didn't have much to choose between them. Ultimately, the price difference was probably the deciding factor. Planes' final binding estimate was a little over $2,300 including shuttles at both ends and a little bit of packing. I was pleasantly surprised by how inexpensive the estimates were.

My move coordinator was Heidi Zavala, and she did an outstanding job. She was able to schedule the preferred date and time for both the pick-up and delivery, and checked in with me 6-10 times over the process to make sure things were going well.

The pick-up part of the move went smoothly and they did a good job packing the items I had them do. Suddath did the unloading in NYC, and did a fine job. No significant damage that I've noticed so far. The one potential issue was that my couch was having trouble fitting through the door to my new apt, and I thought they were a little too quick to say "sorry, won't fit, you'll have to have someone cut it in half". Fortunately, the building maintenance was able to remove a light fixture that was blocking the way and we got the couch inside. And if that's the biggest problem I had then things went pretty darn smoothly.

So in summary, the move went about as perfectly as possible. They even gave me a prompt $ 5 refund for my weight being a few lbs under the estimate ;). I'd give Planes my complete recommendation, and hopefully this can help someone else going through the moving process.

NYCMover

Re: Planes review - Chicago to NYC

Postby NYCMover » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:35 pm

That's not Planes who is setting that pricing for a Plasma/LCD TV Box/Kit, it's United Van Lines' pricing for that item in their tariff. Planes own rates would apply only if they had moved you locally within Chicago. The Sales rep did what he had to do to alert you to a cheaper alternative to get this item ready to go. I would have done exactly the same thing, and have done so many times.

Glad the pros and knowledgeable folks on this site were able to help you get a great move - and thank you for coming back here to update us about your experience! :D

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:38 pm

I hope you don't mind if I forward your review to Heidi. We work together often, as my company is their San Diego area origin/destination agent.

Heidi would be happy to know that you had such a successful move.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:30 am

Thanks so much for your review gone2nyc! We very much appreciate your time in coming back here and letting us know how your move went.

Best Regards,
Jeff

BigLeeCalif

Re: **Planes review - Chicago to NYC

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:11 pm

I cut and pasted your post, and emailed it to Heidi. She was all smiles.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”