Anyone familiar with Unity Van Lines?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Anyone familiar with Unity Van Lines?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:47 am

I am moving from Syracuse, NY to Loma Linda, CA this month and have been researching movers. Right now I am looking at Mayflower Movers and a company called Unity Van Lines. Unity has the most competitive quote and seems very service oriented. Evidently they are a young company--only 7 months old--and are, I believe, out of NJ. In fact, the company suggested I check out this website because he says this is where disreputable companies are listed.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Juno

Re: Anyone familiar with Unity Van Lines?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:58 am

I almost forgot to mention it. Unity Van Lines says they work a lot with Alpha Moving?

Juno

IMP

Postby IMP » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:59 am

Do you have their DOT/MC numbers?

Most on this site recommend companies who have been in business at least 5 and preferrably 10 years without interruption and at the same address. Seven months is a bit young.

Also - many not-so-up-and-up companies suggest visiting this site. They think it will give their customers the warm & fuzzies that "if they told me to check them out here, they must be good enough not to be mentioned poorly." Not necessarily the case - many movers who send their customers to visit us - their names are posted. These not-so-up-and-up movers think customers won't follow through on visiting this site.

All that aside - which is generalizations - if you want to post their DOT/MC numbers someone will do the research for you.

Juno

Postby Juno » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:32 am

Yes, I found them listest in SaferSy, but because they are such a young company (and small--only 1 driver) not much info there.

DOT 1201305
MC 478727

Unity Van Lines
5-25 SECOND STREET
FAIRLAWN, NJ 07410

Thanks, Juno

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:20 pm

Anonymous wrote:Right now I am looking at Mayflower Movers and a company called Unity Van Lines. Unity has the most competitive quote and seems very service oriented. Evidently they are a young company--only 7 months old--and are, I believe, out of NJ. In fact, the company suggested I check out this website because he says this is where disreputable companies are listed.

He's right . . . and Unity Van Lines has now joined the ranks of the disreputable. Alpha Moving is itself disreputable (do a search on this website), so any company that works with them is itself suspect.

As for Mayflower Movers, many companies use names that sound like reputable van lines. Similarly, Unity is trading on the United Van Lines name. AVOID.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:48 pm

Aside from doing business with Alpha Moving (which could mean you hire Unity and Alpha shows up), they are too young to have developed a good reputation. Scammers often start new businesses under new names and continue their old ways. There's no way to tell at first glance if this is really a new business getting started, or the new alias of a rogue.

If they have only one truck, what do you think the odds are of them sending their only truck with your load all the way from NY to CA on your time table? Not very fiscally responsile on their part. They'd either show up in a rental with illegal drivers, or farm out your job to another company going across country, or take your things and throw them into a warehouse until theyve done the same with enough loads to fll their truck. Could take several weeks or months, despite what they've told you.

Safersys is acting up right now, so i can't look at their data for you. I bet $50 that they've had at least one insurance cancelation already, probably around the time their authority was granted.

Juno

Postby Juno » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:45 am

Yes, I see your point. This site has certainly been an education! Thank goodness I found it before I got in over my head.

Brown's Moving and Storage is the Mayflower Movers agent in Syracuse, NY, and I will go ahead and have them come in personally to give me an estimate. I'm thinking that if I have everthing boxed and weighed it might help. This way we can negotiate the exact furniture pieces and the number and weight of the boxes and be able to work out a binder agreement if it seems reasonable. From what I've read on this site, I want to be sure there are no suprise charges.

I have to say though that now I am rethinking driving a Penske truck with a hitch for my car. That's expensive too though--$2100 at last estimate.

Anyway, thank you all so much for your help. :)

sarahl

Postby sarahl » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:26 am

I used Unity van lines last year when I moved back from CA to NJ, they were in biz for abit over 1.5 and reccomended by a friend who used them as well. I was aware that they were a small company with about 2 drivers and the service was great.

larryb

Postby larryb » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:47 am

I hired UNity van lines to move me from floroida back home and was picked up last week. THe crew was nice, worked fast and did a good job, I was happy with them hope this helps.
Larry

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:52 am

To sarahl and larryb: We are not dumb here at movingscam.com. You are posting from the same IP address and you are obviously one person (instead of two) working for Unity Van Lines. We stand by our original observations about your company. So do us a favor: take your BS and get lost.

atypicalguy

Postby atypicalguy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:50 am

Just wanted to say thanks to people who posted on this thread. I put my info into a website and was contacted immediatedly by Unity. They gave me a lowball quote immediately. Based on the comments on this thread, I will not use them, or any other company that contacts me directly.

All in all I will probably go with Mayflower. When I called their local rep in Landover, MD, I got Theresa on the phone, who speaks good English and seemed pretty nice. She said Jim Flaherty would come out to my place and take a look at my stuff and give me a quote.

I think a good rule of thumb is to use a mover that is local to you. If people are calling you from distant states, ignore them.

Unity did in fact refer me to www.movingscam.com, which is interesting. I guess they figured I would not actually do any checking. What a bunch of bimbos.

My name is Karl and you can email me through this forum to ask about my experiences with Mayflower moving from DC to LA any time.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:07 pm

The scam and dubious companies send customers here because they think people won't look any farther than the Blacklist. They don't realize that most will also do a search on the company name and find bad reports.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

windycitychic

Postby windycitychic » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:37 pm

do NOT do business with this company!!! i just received a quote from charleston, sc to chicago - close to 1,000 miles and it was crazy low. AND they required a deposit - something you are NEVER supposed to do. when confronted this was their reply. he actually justified the deposit by saying it wasn't one, (even though lower in the string it says there IS a $100 deposit) that everyone who posted here was wrong, and they've been in business 10+ yrs when a search on the federal motor carrier safety administration advised otherwise AND shows their license has already been suspended and their insurance revoked way too many times in the last two years. FURTHERMORE - they charge a fee to use a credit card - something ALL the credit cards companies strictly prohibit!! it Visa, MC, etc knew they would revoke their ability to use credit cards! clearly a scam company!!

http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/pkg_menu.prc_menu

--- Laurent Berman <laurent@unityvanlines.net> wrote:

> From: "Laurent Berman" <laurent@unityvanlines.net>
> To: >
> Subject: Re: Flat price from Laurent @ Unity Van
> Lines -NO DEPOSIT IS EVER REQUIRED - HERE ARE THE
> FACTS......
> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:36:59 -0400
>
> We are not charging any deposit, such a deposit is
> against AMSA rules.
>
> We do require 50 percent at pick up after we do 50
> percent of the work.
>
> Juno's posting is wrong; we have been in business
> for over 10 years; we
> started in Fairlawn, outgrew the facilities and
> moved to Jersey City.
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: >
> To: "Laurent Berman" <laurent@unityvanlines.net>
> Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 5:59 PM
> Subject: Re: Flat price from Laurent @ Unity Van
> Lines
>
>
> > sorry but any moving company that requires a
> deposit -
> > and a 50% one - is not a reputable company. and
> the
> > quote is VERY low - so i googled you.
> >
> > do not email me again.
> >
> >
> http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=
> >
> >
> > --- Laurent Berman <laurent@unityvanlines.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> NO HIDDEN COST, NO SURPRISES
> >>
> >>
> >> Dear ,
> >>
> >> The following is your binding quote for review;
> >> therefore if the inventory is accurate then the
> >> price is guaranteed regardless of the total
> >> poundage or cubic foot your items take up. You
> will
> >> have the opportunity to adjust or change your
> >> inventory even after you reserve your move so
> that
> >> it assures you and us that the rate provided is
> >> accurate and there are absolutely no surprises.
> >> Therefore your final adjustment will be made 3
> days
> >> before your pick up is conducted.
> >>
> >> Click on the job number 201409 in order to view
> or
> >> alter your personal
> >> information and the inventory list.
> >>
> >>
> >> We work on a first come, first serve basis.
> >> Therefore, I would recommend reserving this move
> as
> >> soon as possible so that you are fully
> >> accommodated.
> >> Most clients who wait and get within 2 weeks of
> >> their pickup date, cannot be helped since there
> is
> >> no longer availability.
> >>
> >>
> >> We hope that you find our price competitive and
> >> within your budget.
> >> At times you will receive a more competitive
> price,
> >> should you wish us to match or beat the price,
> >> please forward a copy so I may review to see what
> I
> >> can do!
> >> I can be reached directly at 1-866-406-6838
> Ext-9066
> >>
> >>
> >> Laurent Berman
> >> Unity Van Lines
> >> 1-866-406-6838, ext.9066
> >>
> >
> > Moving Quote
> >> Reference No:U201409
> > Unity Van Lines
> >> 6 Senate Pl
> >> Jersey City NJ 07306
> >> http://www.unityvanlines.net
> >>
> > Phone: 1866-406-6838 Ext. 9066
> >> Fax :
> >> Email : laurent@unityvanlines.net
> > US DOT: 1201305
> >> ICC MC: 478727
> >> Moving From
> > Moving To
> >
> > GROUND
> > MOUNT
> >> PLEASANT, SC 29464
> > Phone: 843-555-1212
> >
> > > > CHICAGO,
> >> IL 60601
> >
> >
> >> Relocation Details
> > Reference
> >> No:
> > > > Representative:
> > Laurent
> > Move Type:
> >>
> > Long Distance, 916 miles
> > Requ. Date of
> >> Move:
> > 10/xx/2007
> > Reference By:
> > BESTMOVINGQUOTE.COM
> >>
> > Created on:
> > 09/26/2007
> >
> > Relocation Estimate
> > Basic
> >> Price
> > $1001.00
> > Fuel Surcharge: 10.00
> >> %
> > $100.00
> > Shuttle Fee (if necessary)
> > $250.00
> > Total
> >> Price
> > $1351.00
> >> Understanding Your Quote
> > NO HIDDEN COST, NO
> >> SURPRISES
> >> THIS PRICE IS GUARANTEED
> >> Pickup day is scheduled for October 12, 2007.
> >> This price includes:
> >> * Door to Door service.
> >> * Pick up of the shipment.
> >> * Disassembling & Reassembling.
> >> * All quilted blankets & tape are provided at no
> >> additional charge.
> >> * Noting all items shipped on an inventory list.
> >> * Loading onto the truck.
> >> * Up to 30 days free storage-in-transit (if
> needed).
> >>
> >> * Reassembling everything that was disassembled
> by
> >> us.
> >> * Basic valuation coverage of 60 cents per pound
> >> * Delivery and set up in your new home.
> >> Please note: Only the items noted in the
> inventory
> >> list below are included in the total price. You
> have
> >> up to 3 days prior to your pick-up to adjust your
> >> inventory (add/remove). Any additional services
> >> including but not limited to shuttle, long carry,
> >> stairs, packing & packing labor, storage in
> transit,
> >> will result in a price increase.
> >> Delivery time for your shipment is up to 10
> working
> >> days, from the date you are ready to receive the
> >> shipment.
> >> Payment for your move is to be made in cash,
> money
> >> order or a certified check:
> >> --50% upon pick up
> >> --50% upon delivery
> >> If paying by credit card there will be a 3%
> >> surcharge applied. We do not accept credit cards
> on
> >> delivery.
> >> Only a $100 deposit will be put on a credit card
> to
> >> reserve your truck. The customer has up to 48
> hours
> >> prior to the moving date to change or cancel
> without
> >> losing the deposit.
> >> Articles List
> >> Qty
> > Items
> > 1
> > [ ONE BEDROOM
> >> ]
> >
> > Qty
> > Items
> >
> > Qty
> > Items
> >
> >> Customer
> >> Name:.......................................
> >> Customer Signature:
> ..............................
> >> Date:................

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:35 am

Would you forward this on to "info at moving dot org", please? Highlight the deposit statement in the original email. Also, highlight the "IF the inventory is accurate your quote is binding" section.

Zoe

Postby Zoe » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:55 pm

Do not use Unity Van Lines! We just used them to move from California to Asia and it was one of the most stressful experiences of my life. We had done the move once before with Four Winds and it was a great experience, so we thought it would be easy the second time around.

First, Unity Van Lines quoted us $2,400 originally for the move, including packing and unpacking, and said it would take 5-7 weeks from pickup to delivery. After they picked up our goods, they told us it would be $4,500. Luckily we had paperword and they lowered the price.

Second, they said they never received our wire transfer. When we were about to send them more money, our bank confirmed that Unity Van Lines had received the money. We asked them about it, and they admitted that, in fact, they did have the money. Good thing we didn't pay them twice.

Third, we finally confirmed a delivery date, which was already 7 weeks from the pickup date. We changed our travel plans and waited at home all day. No furniture arrived. We sent emails and phone calls to Unity Van Lines and it took them days to respond, and when they did it was incredibly rude, like it was our fault that we were waiting.

Fourth, they stopped returning our calls and emails. We thought we had been taken for a horrible scam. We then received an email, after multiple requests, with the local contact in Asia. This was 11 weeks after they picked up our goods (and more than a month after delivery was supposed to happen.) Unity Van Lines said they had already paid the Asian company to deliver our goods, but when they sent us a copy of the invoice, they had failed to tell the company that our package included unpacking and reassembly. We also found out that they had never paid the company.

Nothing was damaged in our move; it was a tiresome, prolonged experience of one lie after another and horrible customer service with no management of our expectations.

I never write on forums, but I want to warn all potential movers our there NOT to use Unity Van Lines.

Return to “Open Community”