Very positive experience with Apex Moving of Puyallup Washington

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
LaszloPhotographer

Very positive experience with Apex Moving of Puyallup Washington

Postby LaszloPhotographer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:26 pm

My experience with Apex was so extraordinarily good it's not likely to be the norm. But even if my experience had been only 75% as good I'd still have called it "excellent" and if it were 50% it would still be very good.

In short, I contracted with Apex after checking reviews on another mover I had already placed a deposit with. Turns out they had many terrible reviews so I went with Apex, who had alerted me to the bad rep of the other company.

I submitted a detailed inventory and Apex gave me a firm "not to exceed" bid. I gave them three days notice of my interstate move and they told me they'd have a driver there but could not guarantee delivery for 8 to 10 days. As it turns out I received a call from their driver, Oscar, on a Wednesday saying he'd be ready to load the next day and deliver two days after! That was a day sooner than I had planned but Oscar said he'd help with the packing at no extra charge so I said OK.

He showed up with a crew of four and an empty 53 foot semi. I was to be their only shipper on the move so they were easily able to separate the load into the three destinations I had specified (one house and two storage units). Loading proceeded rapidly and without a hitch. The crew was very helpful and courteous. Oscar was careful in inventorying everything as it was loaded. My things took up only about half the space available so it was simple for them to load. (It was also very reassuring to me that my goods had no chance of being mixed with anyone else's.)

On Friday, I drove to my new home in Roseville CA and so did they. On Saturday they unloaded without damaging anything and putting everything exactly where I wanted it.

Oh I forgot to mention, this move involved several "long hauls" where the movers had to walk 100 yards or more to get to my storage bins. They did this cheerfully and well.

Of course Dean at HQ was helpful, too, in setting the move up and others in the office called frequently to make sure all was well. I couldn't have had a better experience. But please remember that my being the only shipper on a half full semi was done solely at Oscar's behest and to suit his convenience. (He happens to live in the same city I was moving to.) If I had demanded a dedicated semi it would have cost twice my estimate.

Regardless of how extraordinary my experience was, I have the sense that any moves with this company would be very well handled. Highly recommended.

MusicMom

Re: Very positive experience with Apex Moving of Puyallup Washington

Postby MusicMom » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:12 am

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. I removed your signature because we don't allow advertising.

So you got a Not to Exceed estimate from giving them an emailed inventory, they never came to your house to see your belongings? And then you did not get charged for the long carries? Wow, you lucked out. Did they charge you extra for the two additional deliveries to your storage bins?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:18 am

Where did you move FROM, Laszlo? If from Washington State, why didn't they come to your home to do an inventory?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

LaszloPhotographer

Postby LaszloPhotographer » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:04 am

Yes, I agree that I lucked out. Oscar, who is from Marysville right next door to Roseville, had just made a delivery to Medford Oregon. He did not want to drive back home empty, so he agreed to the terms of moving me alone from Vancouver to Roseville. This was his personal decision and not a company decision.

You are right in that no one came out to inventory my belongings. I did a very thorough inventory myself, accounting for every article in storage and just about everything in my apartment. The company accepted my estimate and in fact I asked them to up it because I thought much of my stuff was heavier than typical. Dean said they could have sent someone to look at my stuff but the time pressure made it difficult to schedule that and he felt it was not essential.

As it happens, the actual weight was much greater than Apex estimated, due primarily to the weight of books and full file cabinets. Again, I think that Oscar's eagerness to return to his home with a load in his semi prompted his decision. When I asked him if my move was a difficult one he said it was "smooth one with no particular problems." He certainly made no complaints about anything at all and was friendly and helpful all the way through.

Yes, I did pay extra for the extra pick ups and deliveries but the charge was quite reasonable at $23 per.

So I do understand that the circumstances of my move happened to be extremely favorable and perhaps even unique. Nonetheless it seemed to me that even under normal circumstances Apex would treat all its clients with diligence and care.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:07 am

So they agreed to this favorable deal to avoid "deadheading". This kind of situation would probably not happen if you were a customer at origination.

I'm so glad you had a great move. Again, thanks for writing about your experience.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:41 am

LaszloPhotographer,
Thanks for sharing your positive experience with Apex. Hopefully, others in the area will take notice and consider this company for their moves. I am sure most moves handled by Apex will go smoothly as the owner, Dean Savage, is a straight shooter. Good luck in your new location.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”