Molloy Bros. Moving and Storage,Old Bethpage NY

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
consumer helper

Molloy Bros. Moving and Storage,Old Bethpage NY

Postby consumer helper » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:00 am

Do not use this company.

I noticed a posting by Harry O' Brien. What a joke this man is, attempting to give good advice.

This man works for a scam company. Company is Molloy Brothers.

My Family were scammed. The original quote was doubled because of something called a non-binding estimate.

We were ripped off to the sum of $9000

Please do not use this company.

You have been warned!!!

Michael

Re: Molloy Bros. Moving and Storage,Old Bethpage NY

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:54 am

Consumer helper,

Can you give us more info on to why the cost was more?

A non binding estimate is just that. BUT, they cannot collect more then 110% at time of delivery and must wait 30 days before invoicing you for the remaining amount, if moved after May 5th.

Did you end up moving more, having more packed, require a shuttle???
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:51 pm

Consumer helper, please post the details of your move. We need more information in order to properly assess your complaint.

consumer helper

Postby consumer helper » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:56 am

It has been nearly 18 months since we moved house using Molloy Bros.
The upset it caused has been very difficult for my family to even discuss between us.

We consulted a lawyer who informed us that these companies have their contracts worded so well that it was pointless trying to sue. It would only end up costing us more money.

We were given an estimate of $8000 for a full house pack along with the move.

They charged the credit card just under $17000 and we could do nothing about it.

They accused us of hiding items that were quoted as part of the pack and basically needed double the amount of packing boxes. But of course this was untrue.

The sales person looked around the whole house and gave us an estimate based on everything we had. Why would we hide anything.

We were unaware of what a non-binding estimate is. But it basically means that they can charge you for whatever they feel like.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:54 am

Was this an interstate move? If it was, then it was done under the authority of Mayflower Transit. Malloy Brothers is a Mayflower agent. Have you taken this issue up with Mayflower?

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:59 am

Rich McClure, the CEO of Mayflower, wrote in a recent People magazine letter that if you have a problem with Mayflower that you are welcome to call him directly. His number is 636-349-2560.

I'd love to hear what he has to say about your move!

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:35 pm

Whats the problem?? The shipper had a non binding estimate. Obvioulsy didnt read his/her contract to fully understand what it was and ended up being charged more.

Now it seems to be a typical issue of someone not properly trained and not properly estimating the coreect weight and pack. So of course its the agents fault for not properly training that sales person.

Even 18 months ago, they could only collect 110% of the contract, which would have been on their estimate, and the remaining balance due within 30 days from recieving the invoice.

And actually they cannot charge your credit card more then the 110% unless you gave them authorization to do so, so you could disoute the charged with your credit card company.

But from the sounds of it, a $8000 quote to a $17,000 quote, something is wrong in Paris here. Double the weight, double the pack. Packing would not constitute a $9,000 increase.

What other details do you have as to why>>??

And hell call Rich, its a great recommendation!!
Michael

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:32 pm

Whats the problem?? The shipper had a non binding estimate. Obvioulsy didnt read his/her contract to fully understand what it was and ended up being charged more.

Michael, the problem is that this is exactly what the scammers do, and get away with it. Why should an agent of a major get any different treatment than the scammers when the price jumps up so high?

(and I'm not trying to bring up old arguments again, just rebutting this one statement)

guest/michael

Postby guest/michael » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:52 pm

Musicmom,

The difference is the scammers dont go to the house, and low ball quotes and give guarantee prices, and hold goods hostage if they ever deliver them at all.

In this case he/she had a non binding estimate. Therefore, he/she should have been aware that actual weight and cost would apply. He/She wasnt held hostage or scammed.

And again, I am not saying what happen with the agent isnt their fault, but again, we do not have all the details, as opposed to the scammers that we know are scammers, thus details are as important, because we know them.

So again, why was there such an increase? He said someone came out, what was the estimated weight and what was the actual. And there is no way a full pack would have cost $9000 more dollars. So all I am saying is, or asking for is more details as to why?

And if true I do have a big problem with the company charging $9000 more on a credit card they have to have authorized first for additional charges.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:01 pm

The difference is the scammers dont go to the house, and low ball quotes and give guarantee prices, and hold goods hostage if they ever deliver them at all.

Sure they do. Some of the slicker ones, anyway. They pass themselves off as good movers, and then all bets are off when they have the load, they don't stick to their guaranteed prices. I can find a few examples, but I think you'll agree that it does occasionally happen.

If the estimate was so far off from the actual poundage, why didn't the driver balk at taking the load? And don't they need written authorizatoion to charge more than discussed in writing?

consumer helper

Postby consumer helper » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:30 pm

Thanks so much for the advice which will certainly be followed up on. Please give me a few days to compile my paperwork on the issue and give you some more info in relation to this move. My family has been put through so much and we are getting over the feeling of punched in the stomach.

We moved less than 200 miles. Not only were we taken on the move but also the deposit, to the tune of 500 dollars which they conveniently did not apply towards the final payment. Nor was the insurance of 500 dollars worth anything because we were told when a claim was made of broken items that we signed on the date of delivery that everything was fine, thus they had no responsibility. Boxes were stacked high so that we could not go through everything. Items were broken, furniture was broken, they did not even want to put items which they broke down back together.

Let me tell you this, when they had finished moving everything into the house and presented us with the final amount we were horrified. We were emotionally and physically exhausted. We were told that if we did not sign off on the paperwork that they would put everything back on the truck. The movers were cursing under their breath.

The man who did the estimate told me that he had been in the business many years and that he had never been more than 10% off on his estimation. I asked him right at that meeting, because I wanted to be sure since I had heard of stories of price differences if it would be much of a change and he assured me not to worry about that. I was too trusting. I believed it.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:43 am

Helper,

First of all, you should know that yes, you are limited in your court action because of the Carmack Amendment. What you can do, however, is try to get the amount overcharged returned to you. Whether that $9000 is worth it to you to go to small claims court is your decision. (I'll mention this briefly) Mayflower is already invloved in a high-profile RICO case concerning extra charges and hostage loads, so it does happen with the majors, too.

Take Tim's advice and call Mr. McClure at the number provided. Not sure if you'll actually get through to him, but I'll bet his secretary can take a mean message. Perhaps you could mention that you know about the RICO suit, and you and your lawyer want to avoid any such messes like that. The bottom line, as I see it, was that the estimate was so far off, and the driver did not refuse to take the load at that price, like should have happened. They could have amended the estimate right then and there, and let you know the load was much, much bigger than anticipated. Michael mentioned that they cannot charge more than 110% to your credit card without your permission, perhaps you should dispute the overage with your credit carrd company.

Be sure to mention the bullying of the loading men when it was time for paperwork, and the deposit that was not applied. They did not complete the unloading when they didn't put the furniture back togethe, as would happen with a Full House Pack.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:12 am

Helper,

Generally it would be the driver that does all the bulling, not the loaders or helpers, with the majors that is.

Second in regards to the claim, sounds like you a full value with a $500 deductible. In regards to the packing, who packed, you or Mayflower??? If Mayflower packed then they are liable for any damage found in the box once you unpack. By checking off the inventory, your stating you recieved the box in the condition it was packed. That doesnt mean something inside couldnt have broke, thus they are still liable.

Your problem becomes the 9 months you have to file a claim, and you said you moved 18 months ago?

Was your move within a state, like NY to NY, or outsied, NY to PA???

Have we heard anything else similar to this with Molloy in the past, I know I have seen their name up on the board a few times?
Michael

dcarpa

Postby dcarpa » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:31 pm

I am currenlty using Them also - The estimate as given was increased by 60% even though we had hired a seperate private truck to move some other items to make sure we were close to the original estimate.

They currently have my stuff in storage but it is getting close to a hostage situation since they said that they would not release it until the extra charges were paid. I've contacted the "protectyourmove" group and they said to go back and give them one more chance to release at 110%, inform them of a 10,000$/day penalty if they dont.

They are unprofessional scam artists in my book!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:49 pm

Where are you moving from and to? I see you're still posting from NY.

By "protectyourmove" group, do you mean MoveRescue, or the FMCSA that runs the www.protectyourmove.gov website? I can't see the FMCSA giving advice like that (or actually giving advice at all), and MoveRescue would not get involved with a dispute against a Mayflower agent, given their sponsorship.

Return to “Open Community”