Beware of Hidden Policies and Expect Deceit with Penske

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ricktoday

Beware of Hidden Policies and Expect Deceit with Penske

Postby ricktoday » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:19 pm

I found many positive reviews for Penske truck rentals when deciding who to use: Penske, U-Haul or Budget in relocating from NH to Colorado. I obtained a quote over the internet for a 16’ truck and car carrier and found like most, Penske seemed to be the lowest of the three truck suppliers. With the good reviews, pricing made the decision.

I didn’t know how long it would take to drive the truck and trailer to Colorado, because speeds would be low with the loaded weight and trailer, so I requested the truck for 10 days. The language in the Penske contract is very specific about the monetary penalties for returning a truck late. Naively, I felt I could obtain a refund for days not used as it’s always done at Hertz, Avis or any of the car rental agencies. I even mentioned to two rental agents at the time I picked up the truck, that I expected I to get a refund for time not used, if I made better time than estimated for the trip. Neither agent said anything to the contrary.

There is nothing mentioned in the Penske contract about an early return of a rental, only penalties for late return. When I arrived in Colorado 4 days early, I was told it’s not Penske’s policy to refund money for an early return. I did receive my $100 deposit back, which also was not something mentioned in the quotation. Later, in studying the contract, the deposit should have only been taken for a cash or check payment; mine was with a credit card.

The only place I was able to find anything that said there are no refunds for early returns was in an obscure FAQ on the Penske website. It seems obvious the two Penske agents in NH should have told me I would never receive a refund. My naive decision cost us $300-400 in unnecessary charges. I wrote a complaint to Penske Customer Service which they didn’t bother to answer. My advice would be to never use Penske. The trip cost us more than either of the other two truck renters and the ABS brakes didn’t work properly on the truck. Unfortunately for us, since this happened, we’ve found there’s ample evidence in negative reviews of Penske on the net that show they deal shoddily and deceitfully with customers.

Diane

Re: Beware of Hidden Policies and Expect Deceit with Penske

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:20 pm

I just checked the Budget Truck and U-Haul websites, as well as Penske's, and all clearly state that no refunds will be given if a truck is returned early on a one-way move. You can't assume that policies for trucks are the same as those for rental cars, or that all agents will know all the rules and will communicate them to you. This may have been a case of poor communication, but I don't think it was a scam, so I am moving your post from Report a Scam to Open Community.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:46 pm

I even mentioned to two rental agents at the time I picked up the truck, that I expected I to get a refund for time not used, if I made better time than estimated for the trip. Neither agent said anything to the contrary.

They didn't agree, either, did they?

I don't see how this is deceit, either. Live and learn.

Noone

Postby Noone » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:10 am

I can see the customer's frustration here. When I go to buy a service, and I make a statement of that nature, I expect an answer. The answer should be one of the following:

1 - Yes
2 - No
3 - I don't know, let me check.

Not answering a question, even if the answer is number 3, is poor salesmanship at best, and possible deceipt.

I agree this isn't a scam, however I think the customer should have gotten, clearly, an answer what he was requesting.

Penske should do a better job training their sales staff.

Also, customers should always make sure they understand the terms and conditions of the product or service they are buying.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:08 pm

I am re-posting his complaint on the Auto Transporters thread to alert others, although I think we all agree that it wasn't a scam. As I was reading it, it occurred to me that people in NH and VT are supposedly notoriously laconic, i.e. they don't say more than what is necessary.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:06 pm

I don't think that this is a scam, bad business or anything of the sort for that matter. The poster said that they "mentioned" something to a person at Penske. So that clearly shows that they did not ASK any question. For all the agent knew, maybe the customer had negotiated a deal with the Penske corporate or was part of one of Penske's national accounts or was being refunded by their employer for all they knew. See, the problem is everybody wants to blame others for their own mistake. No accountability.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

ricktoday

Postby ricktoday » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:23 pm

I wrote the original review on this topic on 10/3/2010. On 10/11/2010, I received a call from Penske in Denver asking to hear the story. In the end they offered to refund $200 for the time that I overbooked. Perhaps it was the review(s) or perhaps the complaint to Customer Service finally found its way to someone who was sympathetic, but I graciously accepted. I guess the bottom line is that it pays (sometimes) to complain loudly and often, if you feel you've been cheated.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:37 pm

Well, I'm glad you were dealing with a company that cared about its image and worked with you to make you happier.

And, from now on, you'll be reading all fine print on every transaction you make, huh?

Return to “Open Community”