Affiliated Movers - Arpin Van Lines

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
MovingBlues

Affiliated Movers - Arpin Van Lines

Postby MovingBlues » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:40 pm

Does anyone have any review, experience or knowledge about Arpin Van Lines. A local mover - Affiliated Movers of OK is an agent for Arpin Van Lines. They are offering a decent deal for moving my household goods as well as my car.

We are moving form OKC to SLC.

I have quotes from BEKINS, MAYFLOWER (Agent: Arrow Moving Company) and North American (Did not like the agent at all. Did not provide MC and DOT numbers or the Rights and Respon Brochure)

Diane

Re: Arpin Van Lines

Postby Diane » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:50 pm

Affiliated has MC #453837 and 20 trucks, so it's mid-size. It has no complaints on www.protectyourmove.gov - a good sign. Its president is featured a video on the Arpin Van Lines website - http://www.arpinbroadcastnetwork.com/vi ... ?c=03&v=81

He seems like a good person although I don't know anything about the company other than its excellent BBB report with 0 complaints and an "A+" rating - http://www.bbb.org/oklahoma-city/busine ... ok-6000136 Reportedly Affiliated Movers won Arpin's "Best New Prime Agent Award" in 2008. I'm not sure whether it may have been affiliated with another van line previously. Personally I think it would be OK to use providing it is going to haul your shipment and car using its own truck and driver. Ask about this.

If you could post your impressions of the other companies, giving the exact names of each one, I would appreciate it because we have very few reports on movers in Oklahoma. Also, if you go with Affiliated, please come back to report on your move.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MovingBlues

Re: Affiliated Movers - Arpin Van Lines

Postby MovingBlues » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:02 pm

Diane - Thank you for your response. Here is my initial thought and a few more questions:

Bekins - No agent.
These were the first people we approached. The guy came in with lot of knowledge and information. He was well prepared. He said he would bring in a 58' trailer to pack my stuff. I live in a townhouse along a small street. I could not see how he would park that monster without blocking the tiny street. He said, he would rather not use a shuttle. His qoute seemed OK. Y

Mayflower - Agent: Arrow Moving Company
The agent mentioned that they would bring in a shuttle truck to get my stuff, take it to their warehouse and transfer it to their semi to take it to SLC. The price of shuttle truck was included in the quote. X

When X was almost equal to Y, I was confused.

North American Van Lines - Agent: A1 Freeman Moving
The agent did not bring the "Rights and Respon" brochure. Neither did he bring his DOT and MC numbers. I had to send him "packing".

Arpin Van Lines - Agent: Affiliated Movers of Oklahoma
His quote without the car is comparable to X & Y. With car the amount goes up by 940. Is this normal?

What kind of insurance do I need if I am shipping my car with him? Does my auto insurance cover any damages?

Do you recommend buying the extra insurance?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi again - thanks for the additional information.

Bekins - how could they not have had an agent? What company was the sales rep associated with - wasn't it in Oklahoma? Or was he some kind of roaming independent contractor?

Arrow - I believe this company is HQd in Colorado and it has a good reputation there. In my opinion, based on reviews and comments here, Mayflower in general is one of the strongest van lines.

A1Freeman - fits with some other things that have been posted about them here and elsewhere.

Affiliated - again, I go back to my question of whether they are going to haul your shipment and car using their own truck and driver, and whether they are going to haul your car on the same truck with your shipment. Ask about this. If they are just going to farm your shipment out to a van line truck and driver, or if they are just going to hand your car over to a separate auto broker, personally I would choose Arrow instead and get a quote from one of the auto transporters endorsed by this website. Arrow has the advantage of having offices both in OKC and in SLC, a good situation for the consumer.

The additional cost of $940 sounds about right if the car is going on the same van with your shipment. That's always more expensive because it is charged for as if it were household goods, but the advantage is that everything would arrive in SLC at the same time.

With regard to insurance, some people have posted that they lowered their comprehensive coverage to zero and they felt protected. Others have said that their insurance carriers declined to cover the car while it was being transported by a carrier. I would ask your sales rep about this. Normally there is less risk to a car if it is being transported enclosed in a moving van as opposed to on an open carrier. Again, you need to find out how Affiliated is proposing to transport the car.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:05 am

Do you recommend buying the extra insurance

Yes. Basic coverage will cost you nothing. If anything is damaged or missing, you'll get .60 per pound, per article. Not adequate. You have done a good job of finding and interviewing reputable movers, but as good as they are, things can happen. Take the full value option.
Last edited by BillAdams on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:40 pm

Both Arpin Van Lines and Arrow Moving (Mayflower) are great companies. I have dealt with both. Arrow has a company owned agency in Salt Lake City. Arrow is based in Cheyenne WY with offices in Colorado, Salt Lake City and San Antonio along with Oklahoma City. The benefit of using Arrow is the comapny owned destination agent.

That said, Arpin Van Lines is a quality carrier. I have been an agent in years past. I knew the former President, Paul Arpin and he was a great individual in the moving industry. It is now run by his son, David Arpin.

I would recommend either one of these companies.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:49 am

Arrow allows Affiliated to manage their shipments. Affiliated is also an agent of Arpin, but Arpin allows them to run shipments on their own authority.

Either company is ok to deal with. Affiliated was a United agent before Arpin purchased them.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:28 am

BigLeeCalif wrote:Arrow allows Affiliated to manage their shipments.

Lee, do you mean "Arpin," not "Arrow"?

Also, another question:- I notice that a David Howell is the CEO of Ace (Atlas) in OKC. Does anyone know whether he is related to the father and son Howells who run Affliated?

wstitus

Postby wstitus » Wed May 08, 2013 2:18 pm

Prior to the move being scheduled, we were contacted by Affiliated Movers of OKC to do a phone consultation to identify any special considerations or Items that were to be included in the shipment of household goods due to a military PCS. While conducting the interview, both my wife and I, identified large items that would require wooden crates to be made and brought with the packers for loading into the crates. We were asked to give measurements of all the oversized items so that crates could be built at their shop in OKC and brought with the movers to “ensure” that the items would be protected against damages. After those specific items never made it to the destination, we called Affiliated Movers and they both recalled the conversations that we had, the building of the specific crates, and had paperwork/notes on their system that such events took place. We had asked them to provide this documentation to Foremost, the OTR carrier, since these items never made it on the “official” inventory…They refused. During this move, there was more than $15k of damaged or missing items that they “overlooked” putting on the official inventory.
Scott Titus

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Thu May 09, 2013 9:15 am

I am surprised that an in home survey was not done. I did hundreds of them for many different companies since it was required by the TMO, unless of course it was a small shipment. For the most part we completed 99.8% of in home surveys with maybe the few exception that the member was not in town and even then we tried with realtors and friends. This included Arpin as well and most other major carriers.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat May 11, 2013 12:16 am

When did this job take place, and from where to where?

Affiliated doesn't have an agency network, but most of the time will use agents they had affiliations with before Arpin purchased them. We work with them, and I know the management and dispatch personnel.

It is unusual to have a shipment needing crating to not have a visual survey on a military, since the military requires dimensions of all items needing crating approval. Was yours a short fuse military that was in a location where there was no mover within a reasonable distance?

You mentioned Foremost, who I am not familiar with. What was the weight of the shipment, and did it go door to door?

If the shipment was loading at your house by Foremost, they would have been the party required to correctly inventory the shipment.

If Affiliated's packers packed the crates, they would be required to inventory the crates with dimensions on the inventory.

If a third party built and packed the crates, it would be the driver's responsibility to properly show them on his inventory.

If you noticed things being loaded that were not properly inventoried, you should have brought it to the van operators attention and called Affiliated.
The reason is that it is for your protection, because it is hard to file a claim on items if you have no concrete proof they were tendered to the carrier. [i.e. signed inventories]

If you want to send me an email on Monday, I will contact Affiliated and have the VP [Tonya Mcarty] look into it further.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”