Has anyone used Craig Van Lines in VA?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
movinbug

Has anyone used Craig Van Lines in VA?

Postby movinbug » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:47 pm

Does anyone have experience with Craig Van Lines out of Gainsville, VA? I called a few moving companies for quotes and they are about $50 an hour less than other big names (JK Moving, 2 guys & a truck).

I have searched online and am not having luck finding reviews. Am trying to find out if they are 'too good to be true'.

Thanks!

MusicMom

Re: Has anyone used Craig Van Lines in VA?

Postby MusicMom » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:05 pm

Well, we know this company exists but we don't have any reviews or discussions of thier operations. On a website with this name, that's not always a bad thing. :wink:

Sorry we don't have anyone's results to direct you to.

I assume you're doing a local move within VA?
Last edited by MusicMom on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

movinbug

Postby movinbug » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:36 pm

Thanks for the response. Yes, it is a local move within VA

John Adams

Postby John Adams » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:33 pm

$50 less per hour is quite a difference. When you are calling around, be sure to compare what you are getting quoted. Company A may be quoting you 2 men and 1 truck, Company B may be quoting you 3 men and 1 truck, Company C may be quoting you 4 men and 1 truck, Company D may be quoting you 4 men and 2 trucks... you get the idea.

When "calling around", ask to speak with one of the moving consultants, these are the folks that go out and do the estimates and may actually go into a more detailed conversation with you. If they are unavailable, leave a callback number. :D
Do your homework then trust your instincts

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:00 pm

According to the BBB, Craig in Gainesville with website www.craigvanlines.com has an "A+" rating with no complaints and they were founded in 1980. (Their website talks about even earlier beginnings.) According to www.protectyourmove.gov they have MC #217589 and 8 trucks with 1 complaint (not Hostage Load) dating from 2006. Their driver out of service rate is rather high, but seemingly for "hours" violations rather than anything more serious. They look OK to me.

You might try asking one of the other movers you called why they think Craig has a lower hourly rate than they do. Possibly they are in a lower-rent area than the other companies and so their overhead is lower. (People have posted here that JK tends to be on the high side, although its quality is good.)
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

muun

Postby muun » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:43 pm

I used Craig Van Lines to move from Maryland to Florida. I put my stuff in storage with them in July, 2010, and had it delivered to Florida in November. They were easy to deal with and did a great job. No complaints here.

princess

Postby princess » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:13 am

Yes, I have recently moved locally. I would NOT recommend them at all. The workers were rude, dishonest, slow as snails, and weak as anything. Don't get deceived by their BBB.org rating.

Return to “Open Community”