Beware of Victory Van Corp in Alexandria, VA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Arlington_to_NewOrleans

Beware of Victory Van Corp in Alexandria, VA

Postby Arlington_to_NewOrleans » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:57 pm

I hired Victory Van Corp. to move my belongings from Arlington, Va. to New Orleans, LA at the end of June, 2010. I interviewed several movers in the area, each of which was unable to guarantee that my things would not be put into storage and then loaded after the July 4th holiday. Mike Orgurcak, of Victory Van Corp., however told me repeatedly that he had a driver that could get my things to New Orleans without having to use a storage facility. In fact, his first estimate to move my things was $3805 until he went back to his office and discovered that the trucks that he thought were available were not. I sensed that he was lying just to make me think that I’d better sign with them as soon as possible. In addition, for the privilege of having my things moved over the holiday the price increased to $4144. Though their price was more than $1000 more than any of the other movers, I agreed -- on the basis that my things would not be put in storage -- and authorized Victory Van to bill my credit card.

From that point on, nothing was handled as they said it would have been. I paid for a full pack and move. The movers showed up much later than had been promised by Akia Turner (who also promised that my things would not be stored. She even went so far as to tell me that the driver would be working THROUGHOUT the holiday weekend to get the jobs done. When I mentioned this to the driver he LAUGHED OUT LOUD.). The packing job was dissatisfactory. Despite there being 3 wardrobe boxes which were used, for some reason random items like jeans and suits were thrown into a box with sneakers and shoes. The boxes and wraps on the furniture were sealed so poorly that the driver commented that he had to send some items back into the warehouse to be wrapped properly. All of this and still more than $900 worth of damage was done.

Once the packing was done, I called Akia Turner again to verify that the mover was coming and the time. I was told both by Mike Ogurcak and Akia Turner that I would need to reserve the space in front of my apartment building (on a county street) so that the big moving trailer would be able to park. I thought it was odd that they did not take care of this, but went along with it because the truck that I was reserving the space for was the only truck that my belongings would be loaded onto. I paid the county of Arlington $34 to reserve the space and to post "No Parking" signs.

Originally, Akia Turner promised that the movers would arrive in the morning. That changed, because "the driver ran into traffic on his way up from Louisiana." That's actually what she told me. It bears no resemblance to the truth according to the driver. The next excuse was that someone else who was being moved had too many things to load onto the truck and so the driver was delayed while he dealt with that problem. Akia Turner told me on the 29th that the driver would arrive in the afternoon on the 30th around 2. With a few last minute errands to run, I left my apartment around 11 a.m. on the 30th and passed a moving truck that was stopped in front of my apartment building. I called Akia Turner again. She explained that these movers would load my things and that later that same exact day my things would be loaded on to the truck that would carry them to New Orleans. Though my schedule was completely thrown off, I allowed these movers to load my things onto their truck.

When they finished I called Akia Turner again to let her know that the movers had gone and to ensure that my things were being loaded on to the delivery truck that day. She assured me that that would be the case. By the time I'd cleared out of my apartment, it was after business hours. No call from Akia Turner. The next morning I began my drive to New Orleans.

When I arrived and got a little settled, I called Akia Turner again to see what was happening with my shipment. She mentioned nothing about a warehouse or storage. She mentioned only that it appeared that my delivery would be made on the final day of my delivery estimate window. I asked again about storage -- it was now after the July 4th holiday and anyone driving down from Virginia to Louisiana would have arrived by now. She explained that the driver had a lot of stops to make.

On July11th, I received a call from the driver whose name is Kevin Arnold. He said he was in the area and could deliver on the morning of the 12th. We agreed on a time and he showed up as promised - a first!! As Kevin and his two helpers began to unload, Kevin began to explain how he had loaded most of my things himself out of the warehouse. The more he talked the more I realized that Akia Turner and Mike Orgurcak had purposefully lied to me regarding the service that they could provide. The driver did not work through the holiday weekend as Akia Turner had promised. In fact, my things did sit in a warehouse (which one I do not know because no one ever mentioned that a warehouse was a possibility) over the holiday weekend. The driver was so forthcoming that he even told me how he let a hitch hiker in to the truck and that the person slept on my treadmill. Now, I explained to the packers that nothing should rest on the platform of the treadmill. I explained to the men who loaded my things on to a truck the first time that nothing should be allowed to sit on the treadmill. And yet, here is the only honest person I've dealt with telling me that he let a person sleep on the treadmill.

Once my things were off the truck, the driver had a number of documents for me to sign. After listening to me tell him my story that morning, he handed me the bill of lading which he said should have been signed (in the spot labeled "signed at loading") when my things were loaded. He didn't ask me to date it and I can only imagine that a date would only make them all look more guilty.

I called Akia Turner again and for the final time after the delivery. I asked her what had happened to all of her promises and she said she'd look into it and get back to me. She never called back.

The only reason that I contracted with Victory Van Corp. is that they promised on several occasions that my things would not be placed into storage. My itemized bill does not include a charge for storage, yet when I disputed this with my credit card company Victory's claim was that one of the documents used internally did mention storage. The scanned document that Victory provided to American Express had my signature appended to the bottom of the page, but I do not have a copy of that document nor do I recall signing it. Certainly, it is not much of a stretch for me to believe that they fabricated the document.

As I mentioned, more than $900 worth of damage was done to my belongings. That is not my reason for my complaint. Had I gone with any of the other movers who honestly informed me that June was packed solid and their only option would be to put my things in storage, I could have easily saved $1000. Mike Ogurcak and Akia Turner are running a scam -- over charging and under performing. No other customer should have to deal with them or their lousy service.

I filed a complaint with my CC company for the extra grand I paid to Victory, which was denied. I also filed with BBB (which on entering my apartment Mike Ogurcak said was just a waste of money for companies to join. Note they have 4 complaints in the last 12 months) and also with the local moving authority in No. Virginia.

MusicMom

Re: Beware of Victory Van Corp in Alexandria, VA

Postby MusicMom » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:35 pm

Where did the extra grand you paid come in, that you disputed with the CC company?

I'm sorry you had such a stressful move. It's not a scam, but if everything you say is true then it was certainly some poor communication coming from the office. I'm not a.professional, but it's possible there were logistical issues that both delayed and complicated your move, amd sometimes these things are just out of the moving company's hands. It would be nice if we could find out what Victory has to say about this. In the meantime, I'm going to move this to the Open Community, whereuit can hopefully generate some useful suggestions and possible resolutions from the pros.

As for the BBB membership, membership is not all.that spectacular. There's a thread in the open communty linking to.an expose about good ratings being too easily bought.

Arlington_to_NewOrleans

Re: **Beware of Victory Van Corp in Alexandria, VA

Postby Arlington_to_NewOrleans » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:00 pm

Hi MM, thanks for moving this.

Before moving, I'd gotten a handful of quotes. All ranged around $3000, but no one could move me without using storage -- except for Victory. I paid just over $4000 for my move with them. Had I gone with anyone else, I could have saved about $1000.

I'll never know why they wouldn't just tell me the truth. In a response from an Allied representative to my claim, it was acknowledged that they just didn't have the drivers to keep their promise. Fine. Had Mike Ogurcak or Akia Turner called me, emailed me, heck even a text to say, listen we're sorry but what we promised is not available, I wouldn't have been happy, but at least I would have known where my belongings were and what was happening. But day in and day out, they lied through their teeth. Shameful. It is worth noting that every response from Victory asserted that they did no wrong--I'm pretty sure that they fabricated a document with my signature for one of their responses. Allied, at least, stepped up to the plate, took responsibility, and admitted what actually happened.

Personally, I believe they (Victory) lied from the moment that joker (Ogurcak) walked out of my apartment after giving me the first estimate. In another response from some chuckle-head at Victory to the BBB, they actually claimed to have done no damage -- this is after I'd received and cashed the check for the damages which were almost $1000.

All in all, I posted here because I did use this site (thanks for the site--great service!) to help find a moving company and was very surprised that a "thumbs up" company was so unreliable on such a simple matter.

They've currently got 4 complaints on the BBB site in the last 12 months. They certainly were not professional when I dealt with them and maybe others are having similar experiences. In the end, I didn't want anyone else to visit this site, see the thumbs up, and have that influence their decision.

Diane

Re: **Beware of Victory Van Corp in Alexandria, VA

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:09 am

To the OP - although it's disturbing to read this, thanks for posting it. You can be sure that your review will be placed on the Superlist along with the others that are currently there. Sales reps do make promises that others have to keep . . . or not keep, in your case . . . and poor communication is the #1 complaint that we get here about legitimate moving companies. I'm glad that the van line, at least, stepped up to the plate and admitted what happened and that your approximately $1,000 damage claim was honored.

I notice that Victory Van has a "B+" rating from the BBB, which commented that the reason for the rating is that it doesn't have sufficient information about the company. The president of Victory Van posts on MovingScam.com under that name and I would think he would take care of this.

Just as an FYI, 4 complaints in 12 months (I assume yours is one of them) is not alarming since Victory Van has 39 trucks according to www.safersys.org and presumably does at least 2500 to 3000 moves a year with those trucks.

Movers frequently toss things other than hanging clothes into wardrobe boxes. Although it bothers orderly types like you and me, it's common and normally doesn't result in any damage to anything.

On a side note, Victory Van's website now states that it acquired Matthew Moving, another Allied agent - fairly recently, it seems. Can anyone confirm this or give any background?

elephant

Postby elephant » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Super bump.

Just wondering if anyone has heard any news about this place or has any recent reviews. They are no longer listed as BBB accredited.

I just spoke to an Allied representative and they would be my closest agent. The lack of information about the company and the random recent bad reviews makes me uncomfortable but the Allied rep seemed extremely annoyed that I actually mentioned this about Victory Van.

I had a good experience with Allied when I made my move from SD -> DC but I may end up using another mover this time...

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:46 pm

I don't suppose you remember who the delivery agent was back then, or still have that paperwork?

I don't think we've had any recent reviews, sorry. I do see their trucks around as much as others. I think you may have looked up a different company at the BBB, because I see Victory Van Corp with an A+ rating. If they used to be members but aren't now, it's likely they just let that membership go.

Where are you moving to?

wood5150

Postby wood5150 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:11 am

Victory does owe you an apology and you did get some bad customer service. Any pro dispatcher can attest that during the peak season (late June and early July) that curveballs come every minute. Trailer breakdowns, closings go bad, family date changes, pack load jobs going longer, overflows, rule 19's. Every major van line does its best to deal with these daily issues. Victory's operation team and move coordinator should of been more truthful with you throughout the process. Victory is a good Allied agency and it looks like one move went bad. As a pro myself, sorry for the service you received. Hopefully Victory will see this post and make good.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:51 am

Wood, the original post is from Nov 2010 and the author probably won't see what you've said. Hopefully they did get one from the company a while ago.

Griffin Allied

Postby Griffin Allied » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:22 pm

My company works with Victory van quite often and Ive never had anything but great service from them. Every company can drop the ball on occasion, but its rare for Victory.
Moving families since 1929

Return to “Open Community”