Mostly positive experience with Daryl Flood (Austin, TX)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Tijuana Tiki

Mostly positive experience with Daryl Flood (Austin, TX)

Postby Tijuana Tiki » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Hope this is going in the right place. If not, I'm sure a mod will move it.

My wife and I moved from our one bedroom apartment in Round Rock, Texas (Austin area) about a year ago up to Seattle, WA. Just realized now as we're packing up for another move that I neglected to most up a review of Daryl Flood, so here it is. Since it's been a while, I don't recall names or a few other specifics, but hopefully this'll help someone.

On the whole, I was pretty happy with them. The estimator was friendly, helpful and the least salesman-feeling out of the three we tried. The move coordinator, a woman who I only spoke with over the phone, was also helpful and willing to answer questions. Didn't take too long to get the estimate nailed down (of course, a one bedroom place wouldn't), and the price was comparable with other reputable movers. I was able to talk the estimator down $100 or so when I told him that price was about the same as our other estimates (it was) but we'd go with them first if they dropped it some. That was a plus.

The movers came on time on moving day. There were two guys. First was a black, slightly short, 20 or 30 something who was built like an ox. The poor guy carried nearly everything -- almost all on his back. Very friendly and polite. The other was a tall, 40-ish white guy with long, greasy hair who looked like he lived at a truck stop, and was really about the only negative part. Sometimes he was tolerable to be around, but he complains more than anyone I've ever known... whined like a kid. We didn't have a lot of money to consolidate things into large boxes, so we had a few smaller ones... not tiny stuff, mind you, or things strewn out all over the place, just a few instances where a large box was instead sorted into three 14x14x14 ones. He also complained to no end about our cheap furniture, "It's particle board, it'll fall apart, blah blah blah." Well, that's what happens when you're poor students who live a block from Ikea... you get boxes for free and buy crappy furniture. Boo hoo, get over it and do your job. The ironic part was that he made the other guy do most of the lifting. Figures.

We beat them out to Seattle by about four or five days ahead of the due date. We originally had given them a storage facility address and moved quickly to find a new apartment up here; changing the address wasn't a problem. When they finally showed, it was a day or two late, but fine, it was winter and the weather wasn't what it was in Texas, so not a huge deal. I did make sure to inform him that our new apartment was up a tall hill and they'd need a smaller truck; greasy hair assured me that he'd been there before and his tractor trailer would be fine. Sure enough, it wasn't and he had to add another day on to get a tender, blaming me for not telling him that it had turns that were so tight. ...okay.

Moving in didn't take terribly long. The heavy lifter from move-out didn't come and was instead replaced by a quiet, middle aged guy with a weathered face who was friendly if a little slow. No problem there. Greasy hair once again complained about the small boxes, particle board furniture, blah blah blah. Sure enough, three of the Ikea pieces (two dressers and a side table) came apart, although having saw him drop one of them down the stairs in Round Rock, I'm thinking that just may have influenced it just a tad. Other than that, though, things were in pretty good shape, including dishware, two road bikes, and some other fragile items. The only other broken piece was a mug that probably wasn't packed well, so they did well there. And that was it.

So, would I go with Daryl Flood again? Sure. Prices were fair, my things made it without too much delay, most of the people were friendly, not much was damaged and what was may have been due more to materials than handling errors. But I'd absolutely tell him that I didn't feel like dealing with Greasy Hair again... too much of a headache to listen to him complain for three hours.

B+.

Tijuana Tiki

Re: Mostly positive experience with Daryl Flood (Austin, TX)

Postby Tijuana Tiki » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:29 pm

Sorry, forgot to mention... move was in Feb. 10. Daryl Flood was still pretty new in Austin at the time, just a few months in, but had a good reputation here based on their business in other Texas cities.

Incidentally, MovingScam probably protected us from one. My wife was the first to start researching moving companies, and she stumbled across an online company up in Dallas (AMPM Moving and Storage, http://www.ampmmovingandstorage.com/) that gave us a lowball quote via email. Something seemed off to me, so I started digging for information. There wasn't anything about them on here, but what I learned here helped us figure out why it wasn't trustworthy anyway. So, thanks MovingScam... you saved a poor working family a big headache and expenses that we couldn't have afforded.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:14 pm

Thanks for this. Do you know whether Greasy Hair was a Daryl Flood driver or whether he was a driver for the van line? Did the truck say Daryl Flood on it? Do you know what company the guy with the weathered face worked for?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:21 pm

Tiki, I'm so glad you were able to find the information you were looking for here!

Tijuana Tiki

Postby Tijuana Tiki » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Diane wrote:Thanks for this. Do you know whether Greasy Hair was a Daryl Flood driver or whether he was a driver for the van line? Did the truck say Daryl Flood on it? Do you know what company the guy with the weathered face worked for?

You know, I'm not sure on where either were from. I know that Daryl Flood works with Mayflower, and our things were carried on Mayflower trucks (no Daryl Flood label that I recall). Greasy Hair told me that Weathered Face was a "friend" of his that he knew from his time in Seattle, but he has the demeanor of someone who, if not currently a full-time mover, had done it in the past.

MusicMom wrote:Tiki, I'm so glad you were able to find the information you were looking for here!

Me too. Wish I could take some of you out for lunch some time to thank you. If you're ever up in Santa Clarita...

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:29 pm

Tijuana Tiki wrote:
Diane wrote:Thanks for this. Do you know whether Greasy Hair was a Daryl Flood driver or whether he was a driver for the van line? Did the truck say Daryl Flood on it? Do you know what company the guy with the weathered face worked for?

You know, I'm not sure on where either were from. I know that Daryl Flood works with Mayflower, and our things were carried on Mayflower trucks (no Daryl Flood label that I recall). Greasy Hair told me that Weathered Face was a "friend" of his that he knew from his time in Seattle, but he has the demeanor of someone who, if not currently a full-time mover, had done it in the past.

MusicMom wrote:Tiki, I'm so glad you were able to find the information you were looking for here!

Me too. Wish I could take some of you out for lunch some time to thank you. If you're ever up in Santa Clarita...

So you gave DF a somewhat mixed review, with your only negative being the greasy haired driver, and it just so happens that greasy hair might not be a DF driver?

PM me your reference number, and I can find out the answer, and then you can set the permanent record straight.

Tijuana Tiki

Postby Tijuana Tiki » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:19 pm

ArchieWhite wrote:So you gave DF a somewhat mixed review, with your only negative being the greasy haired driver, and it just so happens that greasy hair might not be a DF driver?

Yep. When you have more important things on your mind, like raising a newborn, caring for your wife, or attending to your job that others' lives depend on, whether or not your mover from a year ago had an official company patch on his shirt is a pretty low priority on the Things to Remember list. Like I said, I think he was with DF, but its been a while.

PM me your reference number, and I can find out the answer, and then you can set the permanent record straight.

Even if we still had the papers from the movers at this point -- we might, but not much reason to keep them 10 months after the fact if there's no unresolved issues -- they're probably already packed up for our next move. If you feel like PMing me whoever your contact is, I may have time to call them up in the next few days to find out.

x-countrymove

Postby x-countrymove » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:53 pm

Even if we still had the papers from the movers at this point -- we might, but not much reason to keep them 10 months after the fact if there's no unresolved issues -- they're probably already packed up for our next move. If you feel like PMing me whoever your contact is, I may have time to call them up in the next few days to find out.

LOL, maybe I'm too anal, but I still have my moving documents from 2004. On another note, I still keep my IRS records from 1980. It never hurts to have documentation.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:27 pm

Tijuana Tiki wrote:
ArchieWhite wrote:So you gave DF a somewhat mixed review, with your only negative being the greasy haired driver, and it just so happens that greasy hair might not be a DF driver?

Yep. When you have more important things on your mind, like raising a newborn, caring for your wife, or attending to your job that others' lives depend on, whether or not your mover from a year ago had an official company patch on his shirt is a pretty low priority on the Things to Remember list. Like I said, I think he was with DF, but its been a while.

I'm trying to see if DF's name has been besmirched.....quite often the driver of a long haul shipment is not the same as the agent at origin. If you don't have your ref number, and you want to find out for sure, pm me your last name, I'm in the same family as DF, I can browse it by name or reference number. If you don't want to, no problem, at least people reading this will know DF might or might not be guilty of having a lazy driver with greasy hair.

Techsan93

Postby Techsan93 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:52 pm

Hey Archie, its all good! If it is super important for folks to know if DF hauled this shipment I would be happy to look in our system, provided I have a customer name and report back.

I can't say we have any "greasy hairs" but I can certainly vouch for plenty of "Weathered Faces" in our fleet! I guess that's what comes with years and years of experience, millions of miles on the road and thousands of satisfied customers! So, let's call it 50/50...

Glad to hear we had another satisfied customer! Thanks again for posting.

T

Tijuana Tiki

Postby Tijuana Tiki » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:31 pm

ArchieWhite wrote:I'm trying to see if DF's name has been besmirched.....quite often the driver of a long haul shipment is not the same as the agent at origin. If you don't have your ref number, and you want to find out for sure, pm me your last name, I'm in the same family as DF, I can browse it by name or reference number. If you don't want to, no problem, at least people reading this will know DF might or might not be guilty of having a lazy driver with greasy hair.

PMed them to both you and techsan, feel free to post the results up here, minus my personal details.

As the consumer, though, does this make a difference to me? Whether or not he's an actual driver for DF, it's still who I was hooked up with. Can I accept the services of a mover and tell them that I don't want them to contract out with other movers? Isn't it their call? I guess it'd be nice to know subcontractors to avoid if we can make that request.

Techsan93

Postby Techsan93 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:36 pm

This shipment was not hauled by DF...

Not guilty of "Greasy Hair' OR "Weathered Face"!

I'll let the other folks discuss your questions.

Thank you for chosing DF, your business is greatly appreciated! Happy Holidays!

T

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:42 am

Flood driver or not, I think the greasy hair description was nothing more than how this customer remembered the experience with the move.
Let's face it, there are some serious characters in this industry, and as long as they're on time, honest, and careful - they're okay by me.
It's actually very interesting that this customer remembers doing business with Flood, rather than Mayflower. Usually they remember the van line, not the agent.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:46 am

Tijuana Tiki wrote:As the consumer, though, does this make a difference to me? Whether or not he's an actual driver for DF, it's still who I was hooked up with. Can I accept the services of a mover and tell them that I don't want them to contract out with other movers? Isn't it their call?

Yes, and this is the problem with booking a shipment with a van line agent. The agent loses almost all control of the shipment once it goes into the van line system.

Not that having a whiny, lazy driver with greasy hair is any kind of major problem compared to most that we see here, but if you want to go with a company that has control over which driver is used, either book with an independent moving company for your next move or get it in writing that the van line agent you choose is going to move the shipment using its own truck and driver. This is called a "self-haul."

Your move sounds like a good one to me overall, but I understand your frustration that the appearance and behavior of the driver was such a let-down.

Tijuana Tiki

Postby Tijuana Tiki » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:26 pm

BillAdams wrote:Flood driver or not, I think the greasy hair description was nothing more than how this customer remembered the experience with the move.
Let's face it, there are some serious characters in this industry, and as long as they're on time, honest, and careful - they're okay by me.

They are by me as well. I think there's some misunderstanding here. I just picked out greasy hair as his distinguishing feature, since all four of us who were around during the move later mentioned on our own something to that effect ("Wow... he may want to put that in his hat, or wash it, or not share that with the world."). That wasn't the complaint. Neither was any of the other physical features; in the absence of names, I was trying to describe who our movers were in case somebody familiar with DF cared to clarify. I've spent my time on the road, I've worked blue collar, nothing was new to me about spending time with some guys who lift heavy things for a living.

My minor issue with the guy, which has eaten up way more posts here than it was worth, was hearing a grown man whine for three hours over a handful of boxes being too small for his liking. I expect work to be done without complaining to the customer. It's the way I do it, and the way that most professional movers will, including the other two I dealt with.

Diane wrote:Your move sounds like a good one to me overall, but I understand your frustration that the appearance and behavior of the driver was such a let-down.

It was a good one overall, which is the point being lost here. And while the behavior of one person out of five was less than stellar -- probably stood out more when the rest of them were so good -- his appearance wasn't an issue, it was just a distinguishing feature.

Return to “Open Community”