Advice for Oakland-DC move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
eastagain

Advice for Oakland-DC move

Postby eastagain » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:31 pm

Greetings again to the wonderful movingscam folks. I am (sadly) moving from Oakland to DC at the end of March. I have a 2BR apt, not tons of stuff. My new employer will contract the mover, after I get estimates. I'll need storage for a month or 2 while I find a place in DC. And I will be moving my car. I moved out here from NYC with Wade Odell Wade in 2007, and had a less than wonderful experience, but am hoping this move works out better. Based on movingscam info, I am getting estimates from Moovers, Chipman Relocations, Macy Movers, Crown Worldwide, and Mont/Rose, as well as Golden Key Express, who moved my car in 2007 and did a great job. Delancey St said they couldn't do this move. CMSA recommended Chipman, Crown Worldwide, and Norcal. I didn't call Norcal based on movingscam posts, because my shipment will be small and that didn't seem their strength.

If anyone has recent experience with any of these companies or other advice, that would be great. I will report back on my experience with the estimators.

Thanks!

BigLeeCalif

Re: Advice for Oakland-DC move

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:29 pm

Call my friend Stan Herzbrun at Caton Moving (the Mayflower side of Chipman). 800 675-1007. Tell him Lee Williams referred you.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

eastagain

Postby eastagain » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:06 am

Terrific, thanks, I will.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:10 am

Just a note that this is a case where you might save money by having your things stored by the mover in CA rather than in DC. The mover in CA will have flexibility about what it charges.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

eastagain

Postby eastagain » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 am

Super, thanks, Diane. I have appts scheduled with Moovers, Chipman (United side, I guess), Crown Worldwide, and Mont/Rose. I need to call Lee's contact at the Mayflower side of Chipman, and I will call Macy's again -- they didn't get back to me yesterday, but I'll give them another shot.

eastagain

Postby eastagain » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:54 pm

OK, reporting in on the estimates I received. I wound up getting 6 estimates. All estimators were provided the same information about what was going, how much packing I plan to do (minimal), my storage (60 days) and valuation (full, $0 ded) needs, etc., and asked to provide binding or not-to-exceed estimates. Based on the estimates, I am currently leaning toward Moovers, Inc., but would not be unhappy to go with Caton or Crown. Any thoughts or advice welcome.

Info on estimates in the order received:
1. Mont/Rose (Mayflower), Brian Peterson -- I liked Brian, but he provided a "no-weight ticket" estimate, which means apparently that my shipment will not be weighed so the estimate effectively works as a fixed price arrangement, ie won't go up, won't go down. Seems to me this approach incentivizes the estimator to estimate weight high, although his weight estimate (4599 lbs) was the second lowest. Still, I'm more comfortable with having my shipment weighed. Brian was a little sales-ish.

2. Caton (part of Chipman, Mayflower), Stan Herzbrun -- Stan was great, and provided lots of good info. Caton is my #2 choice at this point, partly because they estimated a bit higher than Moovers and partly because Moovers says that my stuff stays wrapped through storage and delivery, rather than pads coming on and off etc. I had a lot of breakage on the way out to Oakland, and wonder if the various stages of pads coming on and off may have contributed (I used storage then, too). Caton estimated 5000 lbs.

3. Macy (Atlas), Mark Macy -- Administrative glitches. I called one morning to get an estimator scheduled and was told I'd be called back by noon. I wasn't called until just after noon the next day, and was told the estimator would arrive the following morning at 8:30am. He didn't but called at 9 to say that he didn't know he had an 8:30 appt, but would be there by 9:30. He was very nice, estimated my weight at 4100 lbs, but wouldn't provide a storage estimate because the cost would depend on the number of vaults and they wouldn't know that until my stuff got to the warehouse and it might be as many as 5 vaults. (Another estimator said 2 vaults, 3 at most.) Mark was also a little sales-ish.

4. Crown Worldwide (United), Joe Colburn -- Joe was great. Very no-nonsense, not at all salesman-y. But estimated my stuff at 6097 lbs, thus producing the highest estimate of the lot. Also, Joe wants to know in advance if I am going to do more packing than I said, so they can adjust accordingly. I asked all estimators about this, and only Joe and Norm (see below) said they needed to know in advance if I wound up doing more packing. Crown is currently my #3 choice.

5. Moovers, Robert Smith. Robert was also great, said he started as a line driver for Moovers, and still works moves. Provided TONS of information about all kinds of things. Estimated my stuff at 5803 lbs. Moovers is my top choice at present.

6. Chipman (United), Norm Knutson. More administrative glitches. Norm was supposed to arrive at 1:30 pm, based on an appt made a week previously. With no sign of him at 2, I called Chipman, who tracked him down and said he'd arrive in 20 min. It was closer to 30. Norm and the Chipman office person (Rena?) were very apologetic, said an earlier job had run long. (And no one could call me or let me know?) Anyway, Norm estimated my stuff at 5537 lbs. As noted above, he wants to know in advance if I do more packing than I said I was going to. I don't find that hugely convenient. And honestly, moy move from NYC to CA was with a United affiliate, so I am not wild about going with United anyway.

For my car, I obtained estimates from Golden Key Express and All-American. I used Golden to get my car here from NYC and they were great, so am leaning to them. But Elliot at All American has been fabulous in answering all my questions, and all the estimators recommended All American. The estimates were within a few dollars of each other.

So, that's where things stand for me. Any thoughts welcome.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:16 pm

Did anyone give a quote for moving your vehicle with the hhg? Typically it's a bit more expensive, but you can request in van service, where the vehicle wouldn't be shipped in an open car carrier.

If you do elect to use a car carrier, and you have a car cover, ask if you can ship your car with the cover on it, hence protecting from most of the elements...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

eastagain

Postby eastagain » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:22 pm

No, I didn't do that, because my stuff is going to be in storage while I find an apt, and I don't want to be without my car that long -- car rentals in DC are pretty pricey, and I will need a car for apt-hunting. But I'll look into the car cover, thanks very much.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:54 am

eastagain wrote:all the estimators recommended All American.

I believe that All American pays them for referrals. I've heard that it's good, though.

Thanks for this detailed report on the estimators. It's pretty remarkable that you're leaning toward companies that actually (I assume) didn't have the lowest quote. That's very good.

What happened on your move with Wade Odell Wade?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

eastagain

Re: Oakland-DC move - Report on Moovers

Postby eastagain » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:26 pm

Well over a year ago (around Feb 2011), I benefited from movingscam's fine information and advice in planning my CA-DC move. I went with Moovers, and am finally reporting back. The delay is due to: 1) it took a loooong time for me to find an apt in DC and get reunited with my stuff, and; 2) I had a damage claim and wanted to wait for resolution before reporting.

The move - relocating from Oakland to DC, but without having a place in DC arranged ahead of time. So I needed most of my stuff to go into storage while I went ahead to DC and looked for an apt.

The Moovers team in Oakland did a great job. It was a bit complicated because I was splitting my stuff into what I would take with me, what I would ship to DC directly, and what Moovers would take and put into storage until I was ready. They were flexible and accommodating as I made last-minute decisions, and left some boxes and packing materials for me, for example, so I could finish up. They dinged one wall a bit moving a sleep sofa down a staircase, but otherwise were excellent (and in fact I think it may be impossible to avoid such things entirely). Moovers was also accommodating and reasonable as I kept extending my shipment delivery date. And their DC team was good, too, waiting patiently for my building's loading dock to clear when another person wasn't finished on time. (I did tip them well later.) Again, a couple of wall dings but, again, I'm really not sure it's avoidable - I dinged a couple myself. My one quibble - they left one guy to remove blankets from my furniture while the other 2 unloaded, and really some pieces (sleep sofas, eg) are just too big or heavy for that. In fact, this is how I think damage to one sleep sofa happened - it had split fabric on one front corner, and both front legs split. I think that may have happened when it got essentially dropped on its front legs during the one-man unwrapping process (I saw that happen, but didn't see the damage until later). The only other damage was to a couple of plastic file totes that shattered at some point during the move. I think it is the least damage I have had in a move, and I have made many. (Another mover, who shall remain nameless because it was several years ago, damaged tons of stuff AND FORGOT A SLEEP SOFA IN STORAGE. Then they were terrible with my claim, and terrible bringing me my sofa.)

Moovers was easy and courteous to deal with, and settled my claim to my full satisfaction. (I did buy replacement-value insurance for my shipment.) I would not hesitate to use them again. In fact, I am about to do a local DC move, and would use Moovers except they don't do local DC moves. Now I need to find a local mover, sigh...

Thanks to all on movingscam for your help.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:15 am

For your local move, call Beltway Movers. They're a very large independant which specializes in local moves, been around for half a century, and I've used them (for labor, but they were still good).

eastagain

Postby eastagain » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:34 am

Many thanks, I'll give them a call. I'm thinking of calling Bayshore also, and a friend recommended Joe Moholland.

krumpdiggity

Postby krumpdiggity » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:45 am

hey not sure how your move went, if you need to have your vehicle transported i had my vehicle shipped this past week i dealt with the owner [SPAM REMOVED] give them a call they gave me enclosed shipping for open shipping price excellent service would recommend to anyone good luck oakland is def paradise for me i lived there for 8 yrs now in anaheim

eastagain

Postby eastagain » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:01 am

Hi there, still working on my local DC move, argh. And I BADLY miss Oakland, so I hope I can back there before too many years pass...

For my car, Oakland to DC, I used Golden Key Express, the same folks I used to move my car TO Oakland from NYC in 2007. This time, Golden Key Express transported both my car (Mazda 3) and my mom's Honda CRV (my mom was helping me move and fly cross-country with my cats, so we wound up shipping her car, too). Golden Key Express was again great to work with, got both vehicles on the same truck, worked around our schedule, etc. Their driver, Danny, was great, as was Misty, in the office. And their price was competitive. No damage at all, and Danny even polished out some pre-existing scratches. I would happily recommend them.

Return to “Open Community”