Why is it so hard to get DOT # from these guys??

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Sheryl

Why is it so hard to get DOT # from these guys??

Postby Sheryl » Thu May 15, 2003 6:53 pm

My family is moving from the bay area to seattle & I have received estimates from 4 agents so far (one United -- Rossiter Relocation, two Allied -- Nor-Cal and VIP, and one Bekins). A Graebel Agent (Ericksons) is coming next week.

I have asked all of these guys for their MC#s and DOT #s & they act like they don't know what I am talking about. Then I call their offices and the person answering the phone also says she/he doesn't know what I am talking about. Then I get a manager who says the same thing (I am put on hold forever). Only Rossiter finally coughed up the info after putting me on hold repeatedly. The other agents will only give me the DOT # for Allied or Bekins (the one I can see for myself in the yellow pages). When I insist, all the sales reps, etc. tell me nobody has ever asked them for this information before.

Is it possible that they honestly don't know that each agent has this number or are they just trying their hardest to keep it from me? Rossiter's seemed to check out okay. (DOT #864865 MC#380535).

I will have more questions as I go through this process. One for now -- I talked to an Atlas agent (Alexander's Mobility Services), who gave me an over-the-phone guesstimate based on the other guys' estimates & told me they come in high because they do almost exclusively corporate moves. I wasn't sure based on that information whether it was worth it to have them come out & give me a proper estimate or not. Would welcome opinions.

consumer advocate

Re: Why is it so hard to get DOT # from these guys??

Postby consumer advocate » Thu May 15, 2003 6:59 pm

RUN AWAY!! from any company whose representatives don't know what a DOT number is, or whose representatives are unwilling to give you their DOT number. It matters not the least if no one has ever asked them for this information before. It's one of the best ways you have of checking them out. They better get used to being asked as consumers become more informed. Post your questions here as your search process continues and we'll be happy to answer them.

Postby Guest » Thu May 15, 2003 7:07 pm

So far *every* rep has claimed not to know that the agent has a separate DOT #. I can't run from everyone -- I need to pick someone fairly soon. I am interviewing agents from the big carriers only. If I run from them, who do I run to? If I persist & finally get the number from them & they check out okay, should I still be nervous about them for not being forthcoming with the info the first 5 times I asked?

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Thu May 15, 2003 10:44 pm

Sheryl,

CA is right that any moving company or agent for a moving compay should know what the DOT and MC license number is for their company or the carrier that they represent. If they aren't training their employees on the basics, then I'd be nervous about the rest of their employee training program (i.e. - honoring contracts and/or how they handle your belongings).

Agents of the majors won't always have their own DOT or MC license number. They are agents that represent the carrier, and the carrier is the one that is required to have a DOT and MC license number and proper insurance.

About the best that you can do when it comes to checking out the agents is to get (and follow up on) references, check the BBB (a satisfactory rating doesn't mean anything, but an unsatisfactory rating should be taken seriously), and also check with local real estate companies to see what they have to say about the agent. Also ask other members of your community about their experience with the agent if you can.

Keep an eye on this thread. We've got some very reputable folks who help out here when it comes to issues specific to the majors. They are agents themselves, but come here to help answer your questions, not give you a sales pitch.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

simmy

Postby simmy » Fri May 16, 2003 10:12 am

It is VERY hard to get a DOT number, that's for certain. I'm considering a mover who has a web site on which their DOT # is listed as T32832. What comes up is a company different than the one I've been dealing with (All American Moving & Storage in Santa Clara).

When I plug in the interstate liscence # they gave (585130) me instead of a DOT, into the DOT search...THEN I get the right company.

I feel uneasy about all this. This company has apparently had a bad time of it in the past, but may be making inroads into bettering their reputation.
I don't know...the lack of regulation with the moving industry makes this a pretty bad crap shoot.

BTW: Where can you find the size of the fleet of a company?

Postby Guest » Fri May 16, 2003 10:25 am

twalker wrote:Sheryl,

Agents of the majors won't always have their own DOT or MC license number. They are agents that represent the carrier, and the carrier is the one that is required to have a DOT and MC license number and proper insurance.

That makes me feel better since I really felt like I was being given the run around. So it makes sense that an Allied agent (with a separate name, etc.) wouldn't have a separate DOT? I was just given the main one for Allied in Illinois. Why would the United agent be required to get its own DOT, but the Allied agent would not be? ie, under what circumstances are the agents supposed to have their own DOT #?

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Fri May 16, 2003 10:26 am

simmy,

For $300 and about 5 minutes to fill out a form, you or I could get a DOT license. It's really not that hard (I can get you the form if you want). :wink:

Next... is this the company that you want to hire?!?
Community Rallies To Help Scam Victim - KVBC TV Las Vegas

According to SaferSys.org, the company has 20 power units and 17 drivers.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Postby Guest » Fri May 16, 2003 10:26 am

That last post shows the quote and my questions in the wrong spots -- sorry, I guess I don't know how to use quote.

Josh

Postby Josh » Fri May 16, 2003 10:40 am

Here is what I could dig up on Rossiter Relocation Services, Inc located at 1355 Adams Ct, Menlo Park, CA 94025.

Winners of the 2002 President's Club Revenue Award

Here's how they rate based on a 5 star program (note... 5 stars is tops)

HHGDS Liability: ****
Packing Liability: *****
Warehouse Liability: ***
Safety Performance: ***
Quality Labor: *****

Overall Rating of Sales/consultation: ***** (exceeds)
Overall Rating of Move Coordinator: *** (meets)
Overall Rating of Salesperson: ***** (exceeds)
Accurately Estimating Moving Charges: ***** (exceeds)
Overall Performance of the move: *** (meets)
Willingness to Recommend: ** (below)

Overall Rating of Packing Crew: **** (above)

They also own two other agents.

It looks to me that they are a pretty good agent for United. I would use them for my Origin or Destination Agent if I needed to. Sorry I can't help with the other Van Lines.

Let me know if you need anything else!

skinny

Postby skinny » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:45 pm

I used Rossiter... They scammed me out of about $1200 and then refused to accept my calls.

Don't know about the good ratings they've gotten, but they sure stuck it to me. They broke about half the things they moved, then they asked me to sign something while the police were trying to get them to move their truck... They assured me they would pay for the broken stuff, only to find out later that I probably should have read what they had me sign... It was a waiver.

Run away from Rossiter.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:49 am

Skinny. How about more specifics about your accusations. Just saying they scammed you doesn't help identifying how they did it.

Return to “Open Community”