HELP!!! Recommend a national (long distance) movers

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
LA to DC

HELP!!! Recommend a national (long distance) movers

Postby LA to DC » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:48 pm

This has to be one of the hardest things to find. I cannot locate a decent mover who has a satisfactory BBB membership or safesyr.org standing. Can anyone recommend a mover with whom you've had a positive experience?

My time is short...

Diane

Re: HELP!!! Recommend a national (long distance) movers

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:01 pm

How much stuff (pounds or rooms) do you have and when do you have to move? Would you consider a U-Pack, We-Drive type mover? Is cost a concern or do you want to go first-class? If we know these things, we can help you better.

You should begin by reading the article "How to Find a Reputable Mover" on this website.

LA to DC

Postby LA to DC » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:04 pm

I have read the article and I've been checking the potential movers via their DOT and MC License/BBB. They either have a crappy record, or they're not available.

Date of Move: July 23, 2004
Studio Apartment (1200 lbs tops)
Relocation paid by company - do not need to go "first class" but I am unable to load and unload my belongings.

Thanks.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:35 pm

You have only 14 days until you have to move, so the majors are probably going to be booked solid. Also, you have a very small load.

If you want to use a conventional moving company, I would say that your choices would be to try to go with a smaller but still reputable company like Sterling Van Lines in Los Angeles (www.sterlingvanlines.com) or to try to go with a U-Pack mover and hire labor to load and unload for you. ABF would probably be a little bare-bones for you, but Broadway Express plus Labor Ready or another such company would feel almost like a full-service mover if they can work you in. They are closed on weekends, but you could try calling them Monday morning.

However, since you have such a small amount of stuff and money isn't too much of a problem, you might try Ship Smart. Here is a thread started by a person who had about as much stuff as you do. He used Ship Smart and just recently came back to us to say that it worked out well for him - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278.

LA to DC

Postby LA to DC » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:37 pm

Thank you.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:38 pm

You're welcome.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:00 pm

another option is to have an agent for a major van line pick up your stuff as a local charge, and store your goods until the carrier can load it. This is common, and should run you about $350 to $500. While this is an additional service and expense, at least you will get loaded when you need to!

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:17 pm

Please, LAtoDC, do NOT take anything posted on these boards as a substitue for DOING YOUR OWN LEG WORK.

Yes, it is a lot of work. But be careful about reading a few company names mentioned in a positve light and thinking "my search is over". We are not a clearinghouse for pre-approved moving companies so it is inappropriate to ask for OR TO RECEIVE recommends for specific companies.

By the way, there are a few websites out there that are moving brokers and claim to work with pre-approved moving companies; avoid those sites like the plague. Do your own leg work and eventually you WILL identify reputable movers, but it is of the utmost importance that you realize one thing:

There are no short cuts to finding a reputable moving company. What we can do is help you separate the good from the bad -- but for best results you really need to perform your own initial research, not just trust names thrown out there by forum authors that you do not know from Adam.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Return to “Open Community”