**Berger Allied move from AZ to IL-highly recommend!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
AZILmove

**Berger Allied move from AZ to IL-highly recommend!

Postby AZILmove » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:03 pm

Before embarking on this latest move of my stuffed 1 bedroom apartment, I really tried to do my homework. The last time I had moved, I had gone for a cheaper moving company and had a terrible experience where my stuff didn't arrive until a week after the stated time frame and my furniture had been damaged. So, this time, I read through this and other websites, looked at BBB and asked friends.

I had made the decision not to go with U-Pack or Pods for a few reasons, that doesn't mean others shouldn't. First, I didn't have the help on both ends and think I could pack it properly enough so things wouldn't get damaged. I had also acquired a large antique glass table and was unclear how in the world I would properly protect it. So, I'd then have to hire local movers on both ends, which made it so that I really wasn't saving much and had to do the research for 3 different companies. And finally, there are difficulties moving into the center of a big city, and so I'd have to go to the terminals for the u-pack places which seemed like an added step.

So, after all of that, I found a few companies and got a few quotes and ended up with Berger Allied. Julie in the Phoenix area was my local rep and she was professional, answered all of my questions patiently, and ended up estimating my weight very close to the actual weight. She was 100 lbs over, so I ended up getting a discount from my quoted price!

I went with Berger Allied for a few reasons. First, aside from the recs on this site for them and the good BBB ratings, they are actually the local reps for Allied in both Phoenix and Chicago, which meant I was dealing with the same local company on both ends. That made me feel a lot more secure. Second, there were no hidden costs, and as I said, I actually was discounted on my end price. There was a bit of a question if the large truck could make the turn into my apartment complex in Phoenix or if I'd have to get the smaller shuttle truck, and I was pretty sure it was all going to have to be transferred to a smaller truck in Chicago to get it through those streets. At Allied, there would be no extra charges either way for transferring trucks or for number of flights, and they knew exactly what needed to be done for a city Chicago move. They arranged to have my antique glass table crated and while that was an extra cost, it was reasonable compared to other places. And lastly, the quoted time (6-12) days was shorter than the quoted time from some other companies.

Donna Glaab was my move coordinator, and she kept me well informed about the details. They had the craters come to crate the table first thing the morning of the move. The movers were about 1 hour later than they said they'd be on move day, which was not a big deal at all. I had the driver (Art--who's fabulous), + 3 other movers, and they were incredibly efficient. I had packed everything up except one dishpack's worth of china and dishes, which I had previously asked them to pack. I watched them wrap up my furniture, shrink wrap and then wrap my couch, and they seemed to take great care. Everything was stickered with my personal sticker on it and I doublechecked my list with there's to make sure we matched up on what was taken. All in all, took less than 3 hours to move everything from my 2nd floor apartment down to the truck in the AZ heat in June.

Although I knew I had a window of time it could arrive (Thurs-Wed window), the driver told me that he was not guaranteeing a day, but he guessed he'd be there on Saturday or Sunday, right in the middle of that window. I assumed that meant probably Monday or Tuesday, given moving times, but to my surprise, I got a call on Friday (24 hours in advance window) from Donna saying it was coming on Saturday afternoon! Great! That's when i was also told I was getting a little off, as my shipment was estimated 4,000lbs and was only 3900. They showed up right on time on Saturday, again with the same number of people. I felt for them, as it was a hot day and 3 flights of stairs this time, but again, professional and did a good job. I checked off everything as it came, and the only thing missing was an old drying rack. The driver said the sticker had fallen off the rack when he transferred trucks and didn't remember it was mine. This was probably a 12 year old Target drying rack that I had glued back together once, so truthfully I didn't really care, but he said he would go and get it, or he could also just give me the money to get a new one (I took the $$). They were also great about putting all the furniture back together and helping me move some things around a couple of times as I tried to figure out where it went best.

Lastly, when I unpacked, not a single thing was broken. Not a dish, a vase, a piece of furniture. I would highly recommend Berger Allied, particulalry the Phoenix-area movers and company who coordinated my move (my driver was also Phx based). All in all, with the crating, extra insurance I took out, the move was about $3200, which was very comparable to other national lines I looked at. It's tough when you're only part of a truck because you know your stuff is in with others, and the window of time, etc, because shakier, but Berger Allied seemed great with that. It's definitely more than Starving Students or some other cheaper companies, but in comparison to my last move, you get what you pay for. I had good, reliable service and I'd use them again in a heartbeat. :D

BillAdams

Re: Berger Allied move from AZ to IL-highly recommend!

Postby BillAdams » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:09 am

That's a very detailed and complimentary review from you on your move with Berger/Allied.
Thanks for posting. Nice job Berger.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Diane

Re: Berger Allied move from AZ to IL-highly recommend!

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:08 pm

It's great to read this. Thank you too for giving the individuals involved credit, including the driver especially.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

AZILmove

Re: **Berger Allied move from AZ to IL-highly recommend!

Postby AZILmove » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:14 pm

Thanks! I mentioned the people particularly because I think Art the driver is who gets a ton of the credit for the move going smoothly, and for all my belongings being in good condition at the other end.

But, it's funny. I have been a lurker on this board for awhile while prepping for the move, and definitely got scared by the tons of the horror stories, as well as stories from other friends. And, as I said above, the last time I had done an interstate move (vs. within the same city one) was about 6 years ago, and I didn't research as thoroughly, went for a cheap mover, and ended up with a horrible experience. I had such low expectations for this move that really, Berger was just reliable, competent and did what it said it would, as any company should. They probably just seemed amazing to me because good professionalism sometimes feels like a rare concept!

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:53 pm

It is nice to hear these stories. I hope in the future you can also participate on here as a helpful source.
I know we all have our jobs and such but an added voice from a consumer is a good thing.

Hiring a true professional in the moving business can be easy to do if you follow the steps and your gut feeling.

I compare it to building a home. You want to hire a builder not a handyman.
When you look at the date it is pretty amazing.

The Moving & Storage Industry Statistics… Based on 2007 Estimates
Consists of 8,100 companies operating at 17,000 locations primarily providing moving and storage services for household and office goods

Includes van lines, van line agents, independent full-service movers, international movers, forwarders, and auto transporters

Employs 122,600 people with an annual payroll of $3.6 billion

Is composed of mostly small businesses:

· 47.8% of industry companies employ fewer than 5 people.

· Only 8.5% of industry companies employ 100 or more people.

AMSA members report operating a fleet of 50,000 trucks (32,000 tractor units for pulling semi-trailers and 18,000 straight trucks) regulated by the U.S. Department of Transportation and state motor vehicle agencies

Include local and long-distance transportation of household and office goods; warehousing and storage services; packing and packaging services; process, distribution, and logistics consulting; merchandise sales and other services

Industry revenue from these services totals more than $16.5 billion annually. The following three areas combined account for 97.3% of revenue:

· 69.6% from local or long-distance transportation service

· 20.2% from warehousing and storage services

· 7.5% from packing and packaging services

Interstate shipments by type, percentage (2005):

Household goods: 67.8% (including 11% military and 1% other government)
Computers, copiers and other electronic office equipment: 25.5%
Exhibits and trade shows: 6.4%
Office and institutional: 0.3%
Interstate household goods moves, annual number (2006): 2.42 million (Census estimate)

· by professional movers: 800,000 ]
· by consumer with rented truck: one million ] AMSA estimates
· by consumer unassisted: 1.2 million ]

Americans who move, annual percentage: 13%

Americans who move, annual number: 38.7 million, or 16.5 million households @ 2.34 persons per household (2006 Census estimate)

65% moved within the same county (23 million)
19% moved to a different county within the same state (7.4 million)
84% moved within the same state (32.6 million)
12.6% moved to a different state (4.9 million)
3% moved to the US from another country (1.2 million)

Average cost of an interstate household move: About $4,200, based on an average weight of 7,400 pounds and average distance of 1,225 miles (2007) and including packing and other services that might be needed average cost of a household move: Factors in price increases: Mainly higher equipment and labor costs. Other factors can include increases in insurance premiums, state regulatory activity and diesel fuel prices. 2006 Price for Diesel was 2.89
Moves without claim, percentage: More than 80% of all moves have no claim filed (consistent for more than a decade - has been as high as 82%), and almost all (99.99%) claims are resolved before arbitration. Filed claims can include customer-packed shipments which may have contributed to damages.

Remember that this data for claims is only for the AMSA members unless other wise noted from Census.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:33 pm

I passed your review to both the GM's of Phoenix and Chicago.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”