United Van Lines Agents in SoCal for Move to Virginia

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

United Van Lines Agents in SoCal for Move to Virginia

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:38 am

I recently stumbled across this site a few days ago because of an alert I saw posted on Google regarding Ben Hur in LA. That alert saved me from committing a major mistake. I didn't realize there were so many problems within the moving industry until I was educated by the contents of this site.

However, in fairness to the movers I've used in the past, they have been for the most part, very professional and did a good job. I've moved 5 times in the past 6 years all over the country and after reading some of the horror stories posted here, I consider myself very fortunate. What I thought was a headache was nothing compared to what it seems like a lot of people go through on a daily basis.

I've always used the major van lines for my moves. It seems like it's "hit or miss" with their respective agents. For my move to VA, I'm trying to decide between the following United Van Lines agents:

1) Merit Moving Systems - Buena Park, CA

2) Chipman Relocation - Santa Ana, CA

3) Suddath - La Mirada, CA

4) Gemni - North Hollywood, CA

I would appreciate it if any one would post their experiences they may have had with any of these particular agents. I'm leaning towards going with Merit even though they were $350 higher than the other estimates.

I'm going to meet with the last two agents later today. The Merit and Chipman representatives were very nice. However, I was a little uncomfortable when the Chipman representative gave me the customary folder, but it had NOTHING in it except for the estimate. Usually, I get a folder full of brochures and other info. He als gave me the wrong information regarding insurance coverage. He told me that my renter's policy would cover my contents during the move, but I know this is not completely true. He also did not think there was a need to address the possible use of a shuttle, whereas the Merit rep. voiced a concern about the narrow street and driveway being accessible to their large trucks.

Sorry for this long post, but I just wanted to tap the wealth of knowledge on this site. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Re: United Van Lines Agents in SoCal for Move to Virginia

Postby 23 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:30 am

If it matters at all, I have used all of those agents before. I have been doing about 20 shipments a week in CA so I have used many agents out there.

What it will all come down to is how comfortable you feel with your sales rep! Go with the one you feel you can trust the most! This can make or break your move should a problem arises!

Have you thought about getting estimates from other companies? We normally recommend that you get at least 3 estimates from different companies!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:29 am

You should also be getting a book called "You Rights and Responsibilities When You Move". IT should be about 45 pages long. There is an older, outdated, and now illegal copy still being passed out by some companies that is about half as thick. When they give it to you, aks the estimator if this is the version printed after May 5th, see what they say.

Trust your instincts.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:21 am

Any reason why you are only getting pricing from one major, United? If that van line issues booking restrictions, you will have no where to turn.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:33 am

I've gotten quotes from the other majors too. However, I've had good experiences with United in the past and their estimates were more in line with what I thought I had weight wise. I was just concerned about the presentation of the individual rep. I don't want to eliminate an otherwise good agent if the rep. is the only bad thing that I could see. However, that could be a sign of things to come down the road. I don't have any time for "crazy" stuff happening when my stuff arrives. Moving in itself with 2 small children is stressful enough.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:26 pm

Guest,

Let me be honest, as much as I like Chipman, I would have dropped him because of his lack of etiquette (spelling?) Unless he already knew you were having other agents come out before him, then yes I would agree to just get you the important info (R&R) and quote. Otherwise its all the same. His lack of concern for destination services makes me think he is relatively new or just doesnt care enough to worrry about it and the effects it could cause you down the road.

Just my thoughts.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:32 pm

I agree with Michael, and I'll add that I've heard good things about both Merit and Suddath.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:34 pm

Why thank you Diane, lol. Always good to see you have my back, lol. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”