Good review of University Van Lines (NJ)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Jeff.Walker

Good review of University Van Lines (NJ)

Postby Jeff.Walker » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:36 am

This one came in through the comments section of the site:

Barbara wrote:Thank you movingscam.com! You made my move from NYC to Durham, NC much more informed! This is the best site I've found for to-the-point and realistic moving advice.

I interviewed five movers:

Dahill Moving and Storage

Marrins' Moving

Moovers

Morgan Manhattan

University Van Lines

My final choice was University Van Lines and I highly recommend them to
anyone looking for a caring and professional mover.

From my first meeting with Larry Petrakakos, their estimator, I felt totally comfortable. He gave me a guaranteed not to exceed estimate which was quite competitive. I was hoping for a self haul and it was. They were very proactive in keeping me informed and confirming plans. The move out of NYC took a day, as Steve and his crew packed breakables and moved me out the same day. The move in to Durham was four days later and Bill Dolan
(co-owner) and Charles were in and out by noon. University Van Lines made moving my belongings the least stressful part of my move!

red221

Re: Good review of University Van Lines (NJ)

Postby red221 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:05 pm

Did all come out ok? Can you give me the address or phone number?

red221

Postby red221 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:37 pm

Did all come out ok? Can you give me the address or phone number?

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:02 am

Red, I've seen that you have posted about 20 times in various posts, asking a lot of questions and (at least from my perspective) ignoring the advice you have been given.

1. Get 3 in-home estimates from movers who are local. They can be from the major van lines or they can be a legitimate, reputable independant company. The first places to look are our super list, or the yellow pages, not google.

2. Never pay a mover up front for the move. This is generally the beginning of a scam, and you are likely to see your money and your household good vanish.

3. Never accept a quote by cubic feet unless you are moving internationally. Movers work with cube sheets in order to calculate the amount of space they will need on the truck for the move. A reputable mover will translate that into pounds for you. This is your protection as you have the right to have the company weigh the truck empty, and again full to come up with the exact weight of your household goods.

4. Stop looking for someone who will haul your goods on the cheap. Good movers aren't cheap. They provide a service, for which they deserve a fair and equitable price. Anyone who will quote you bottom dollar isn't telling you the whole story, and you will most likely pay more in the end than you would had you gone with a legitimate mover.

You have been given a lot of really good advice by the volunteers on this website. It is up to you whether or not you take that advice, but I can tell you that the volunteers who put in time here are the best. They have spent years in the industry working with people in the same situation as you, making sure that people like you recieve the best service possible. Some of them are movers, some are consumers who have found themselves in the situation they are trying to help you avoid. I would highly recommend that you slow down, and listen to what these folks have to say, and let's start from the beginning. They are here to help you find a good mover, with the minimum amount of problems.

Jeff

Return to “Open Community”