**NYC to South Florida - pleased with Dahill

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
foureyes

**NYC to South Florida - pleased with Dahill

Postby foureyes » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:13 am

Was cleaning out files and found records from a move I made from Manhattan to South Florida 2 or3 years ago. Thought this information might be helpful for other prospective movers.

I got in-home estimates from all the companies except for Moovers, who provided an estimate via internet.

I had packed and sealed almost all of my belongings in boxes before the estimators arrived, so the estimators were at a bit of a disadvantage in estimating weights. Most of the weight was from books and files. (However, I had a pretty good idea of the correct total weight because I was weighing every box I had packed myself.)

foureyes

Re: NYC to South Florida

Postby foureyes » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:18 am

The estimates were:

MOOVERS
type - not-to-exceed
transportation cost: $2,109
origin shuttle charge: $320
destination shuttle charge. $300
charge for extra stop: $56
insurance (for $15,000): $182
deposit: not required
credit card: accepted with 3% service charge
weight estimate: 3,000 lb
total estimate (not including credit card service charge): $2,967

ALLIED (ALL POINTS MOVING & STORAGE - Chuck Hanneman)
type - “guaranteed price pledge”
transportation cost: $2,451
origin shuttle charge: $661
destination shuttle charge: included
charge for extra stop: $105
insurance (for $15,000): $197
additional packing: $38
deposit: $100 suggested
credit card: accepted
weight estimate: 2,667 lb
total estimate: $3,453

NORTH AMERICAN VAN LINES (S&D TRANSFER - Mitchell Jacoby)
type - non-binding
transportation cost: $1,624
origin shuttle charge: $681
destination shuttle charge: $485 (contractor)
charge for extra stop: $40
insurance (for $15,000): $197
deposit: 25%
weight estimate: 2,825 lb
total estimate: $3,027

BIG JOHN’S (Edmundo Maceda)
type - binding
transportation cost: $1,846
origin shuttle charge: included
destination shuttle charge: $300
charge for extra stop: included
insurance (for **$20,000**): $200
deposit: 50%
credit card: no credit cards accepted
weight estimate: 1850 lb
total estimate: $2,346

MAYFLOWER (DAHILL MOVING & STORAGE - Chris Blank)
type - “on point price certainty”
transportation cost: $1,891
origin shuttle charge: $400
destination shuttle charge: included (same team)
charge for extra stop: $39
insurance (for $15,000): $198
additional packing: $11
deposit: $0
weight estimate: 2,500 lb
total estimate: $2,539

final reported weight on delivery: 3,700 lb

Big John's is a local moving company that I had previously had a good experience with for an inter-borough move within New York City. Although their estimator offered the lowest estimate for the NY-FL move (by hundreds of dollars, in fact), I did not like that they required a 50% deposit on pickup and that they did not accept credit cards. I was also concerned that the cost might end up being much higher one way or the other because the estimate was so low compared to the others and because the estimator had not initially said anything about using a shuttle at the destination. The original estimate had been $300 less, but when I asked how the delivery would proceed at the destination (no large trucks able to access the area), he then remembered to add on a charge for a local shuttle. Their anticipated schedule of NY-FL runs was also less convenient.

(An estimator from one of the companies called me a few days after giving me the estimate to say that in reviewing the estimate after the fact he had realized that he might have made a mistake in calculating the cost and had given me an estimate that was too high. I don't remember whether it was the North American Van Lines or the Allied agent, but it didn't matter at that point because I had already committed to one of the other companies.)
Last edited by foureyes on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

foureyes

Postby foureyes » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:49 am

The North American Van Lines agent didn't give me a rights & responsibilities booklet.

In addition to the companies above, I left a message to try to get an estimate from Graebel, but they didn't call me back. I have a note about University Van Lines (Atlas) in Rahway, NJ, but didn't get an estimate from them. I don't remember why -- I think they may have been fully booked for when I needed them.

foureyes

Postby foureyes » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:52 am

I went with Dahill / Mayflower, and overall was happy with the service.
The estimator, Chris Blank, did a great job - he took as much time as needed to explain the process and answer all questions -- I didn't get any sense of feeling rushed by him.

(However, I should note that all of the agents who gave me in-home estimates were very friendly.)

When I phoned the office over the next few days to finalize the plans, I spoke several times with Susan Ramos. She was rather brusque and just not the friendliest person during our brief conversations. I think that had I not already had such a good experience with Chris Blank and had such a good offer from the company, I'd probably have switched to a different company based on those conversations.

The team that picked up my belongings in NYC worked very quickly (the doorman said afterward that they were one of the fastest crews he'd ever seen), and I know they worked hard because many of the boxes were pretty heavy from the books.
My main complaint with the pickup team was that the team leader should have pointed out to me the dings in the furniture that he noted as he went along so that I could confirm them; instead, he waited until everything was already loaded and then presented me with a list to sign off on. (It worked out alright because I was already very familiar with any dings or scratches.) The team also could have been a little gentler on the wood floors as they were handling the moving dollies.

The team that delivered my belongings at the destination also were very efficient and friendly. If I remember correctly, they called the day before to let me know they were en route. When they said that their anticipated arrival would be around 4-5pm, I asked whether they could arrive earlier to avoid the rush hour traffic, which is very bad in the area and would be guaranteed to slow down the move because there were two destination sites. They agreed to try to arrive earlier. They called the next morning about an hour before the scheduled time to let me know they were running a little late -- which was fine because I was running a little late myself. They then arrived at just the right time.

As they were getting started, I asked one of the two men to be sure to take care not to scratch up the walls or floor in the process, and he took this as something of an affront to their professionalism. He assured me that they would be very careful and would use covers to protect the walls and floor, which they did (in previous moves, I've dealt with movers who weren't so careful!).

All-in-all, I'd recommend Dahill for a future similar move.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:28 am

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your experience here with so much detail. Nice job Dahill / Mayflower.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:00 pm

If you had conversations with Susan a couple of times you would get that impression. If you have spoken to her over the course of years, you'd see that that gruffness is just her personality. Don't know if it has anything to do with being a New Yorker, or if it's from dealing with movers.... lol... a gruff bunch.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

amsmilwaukee

Re: **NYC to South Florida - pleased with Dahill

Postby amsmilwaukee » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:33 am

It's very cool that you posted more than enough details. The key is to do research and become knowledgeable before making any decision! :)

Olde Bat

Re: **NYC to South Florida - pleased with Dahill

Postby Olde Bat » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:52 am

I have an appt with Dahill this weekend, as I need a mover to bring some furniture from NYC to S. FL, and Dahill has been a presence in NYC forever. Your in-depth review couldn't have come at a better time. Hoping they're still as good as they were a couple of years ago. Thanks!

Return to “Open Community”