SuperList review - Arpin of Albuquerque

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
homerrobinson

SuperList review - Arpin of Albuquerque

Postby homerrobinson » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:00 pm

I found Arpin of Albuquerque via the referral on the movingscam.com website, so it's failure to perform was especially disappointing. The issue was simple: they were 9 days late in delivering my household. When they finally did deliver, it was on the Friday night of Labor Day weekend. Needless to say, that timing was terrible. Arpin has a corporate policy using the 'federal tariff' as a ceiling, limiting reimbursement for late delivery to $150/day, and they do not allow all expenses submitted. As a result, I was not even reimbursed the maximum their policy permits - $1350 - but rather was offered a lump sum settlement of $687.87 based on their review of my expenses. I have a family of four, including two children under 5, and was kept from moving into our new apartment based on Arpin's inability to provide a truck and driver in the time frame they had guaranteed. As a result, we arrived in Philadelphia just ahead of a hurricane that compelled us to leave the city after a couple of days in a hotel (which cost more than the total daily limit for food AND expenses) for higher ground to stay with family. So, while some hotel and restaurant costs were avoided, gas and other 'ancillary' costs were legitimately incurred. My total costs were $1745. If Arpin corporate would not make good on my out-of-pocket expenses, I looked to Arpin of Albuquerque to do so, as they were the party with whom I contracted and in whom I put my trust; they declined. First, they breached their contract, then they refused to compensate me for my expenses. That is a bad business practice. Arpin of Albuquerque will say, in response, that they are constrained by corporate policy. That is nonsense. They are an independent agent and can do the right thing on their own if they so choose. The fact that they tout themselves as spiritually motivated on their website fooled me into believing they would be ethical. What a disappointment. I hope movingscam.com will remove them as a 'recommended' mover on its SuperList. (Note: when I filed a complaint with the local ABQ BBB, it was referred to the Boston BBB and generated a response from Arpin corporate, whereas my complaint was really with the local office; they may never even become aware of it but, more importantly, it probably won't show up as a complaint against them by anyone doing a local BBB check - very misleading.)
Homer Robinson

chptrkrules

Re: SuperList review - Arpin of Albuquerque

Postby chptrkrules » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:43 pm

I would be scared away from any company using God to aquire business. Do they advertise on Faux news?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:41 pm

They didn't refuse to reimburse you, you just didn't agree with what they offered you. Reimbursement for delays is not something that every mover does, so the fact that they offered anything is a good thing.

Sorry to say, but summer is the worst time to move because everyone moves in summer. Too many customers and barely enough drivers. If even one thing goes wrong, it sends ripples across the entire van line system. You happened to be moving at the end if it all, and probably got the tail end if a long ripple.

Arpin of Albequerque is not at fault here. Arpin Corporate made a good-faith offer to you and you slapped it back. And why is it their fault that a hurricane came along?

I am.sorry that you had such a delay and incurred the cost, but other than that, it seems like you had a good move.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:55 pm

homerrobinson, it is unfortunate that you had a situation that caused you to have a delay claim.

Arpin has a corporate policy using the 'federal tariff' as a ceiling, limiting reimbursement for late delivery to $150/day, and they do not allow all expenses submitted. As a result, I was not even reimbursed the maximum their policy permits - $1350 - but rather was offered a lump sum settlement of $687.87 based on their review of my expenses.

You cannot fault Arpin of Albuquerque for this situation. It is obvious that your shipment was not hauled by them, so the delay is the result of developments at the van line level. And an agent has to abide by corporate van line policy or they will be terminated as an agent.

You didn't say what the weight of your shipment was, but it is standard practice for the major van lines that delay claims are not eligible on shipments under 3500 lbs. In addition, all freight bills have a disclaimer somewhere in the fine print precluding claims for situations caused by acts of God, war, etc.

If you wish to pm me your details, I know the director of COD sales at Arpin Van Lines and would have him look into your situation.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”