What insured deductible to get?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ChrisFromCT

What insured deductible to get?

Postby ChrisFromCT » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:04 pm

I am leaning toward Mayflower/E Stiewing Inc in lower Connecticut. Started with a meet to exceed and was pretty detailed.

*Side note. ex-owner of Stiewing noted that they were bought by WB Meyer, but kept all staff.

------------------
So the question is - the deductible level. . what is recommended?
0, 250, 500, etc

also - what about my fine electronics :)

should I try and put the computer,xbox 360, ps3, tivo hd into my car and drive it across country or let the mover take it.

What if I get to where I am going, and open it up, and the things don't work? How tough is the claim process?

Movinghelper

Re: What insured deductible to get?

Postby Movinghelper » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:32 pm

For things not working when it get's there it is next to impossible to file a claim. This of course is unless there are signs of physical damage.

It is usually tagged on the inventory sheet as MCU. Mechanical Condition Unknown.

There is extra protection with Mayflower called Flagship Protection:
FLAGSHIP PROTECTION®
In addition to carrier’s liability under the Full Value Protection (FVP) provisions and charges published in Item 3, the
customer’s purchase of FLAGSHIP PROTECTION® extends carrier’s liability for loss or damage coverage to include:
1. Pairs and Sets – An item in a pair or set that is damaged and can be repaired to match other item(s) will be
repaired. If an item in a pair or set is either lost or damaged beyond repair and cannot be replaced by a matching
item or an item cannot be repaired to match, then the carrier has the option to pay the replacement value of the pair
or set or replace the pair or set with items of like kind or quality and take possession of the items for which a
payment or replacement is made.
2. Mechanical / Electronic Malfunction – Mechanical or electronic items that are in good working order at origin will
be operating when they arrive at destination, regardless whether there is physical damage to the item, or the item
will, at carrier’s discretion, be repaired, replaced with items of like kind and quality, or a cash payment made for
current market replacement cost of the item.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

x-countrymove

Postby x-countrymove » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Just a question because I'm curious....does anyone ever insist on showing the movers that every electronic item works properly before it is packed? What would happen if they did. It seems like this is the shippers only protection.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:13 pm

When I do estimate I like to see if they are working to avaid claims on the other end. There are some items I have found would not turn on or have had bars across the screen and I note that on the inventory
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

John Adams

Postby John Adams » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:37 am

I find the most popular choice with the deductibles to be $250.

With regard to your electronics, have them still connected on move day, show them to your driver that they indeed are working units. Have him initial as such, then go ahead disconnect them, pack them, or have your driver pack them for you. It's a little extra work for you on move day but you'll want to stay busy.
Do your homework then trust your instincts

ChrisFromCT

Postby ChrisFromCT » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:40 pm

So here is what I am being told by the Mayflower agent (who has yet to recognize the existance of that point to point insurance) and moovers

to summarize

Insurance / Movers are responsible for moving the item and damage result (drop, smash, lost, etc). What they don't seem to be responsible for is that if the electronic components break via act of driving/vibration/etc.

The Moovers guy (Charles WIlliams) said as much, but he had an option. Mayflower no option. They mentioned relocation/moving insurance for an extra level of protection/alternative. I thought it was a good idea.

One of the three reports from ripoff report says that about moovers. . that look, if your TV breaks inside just via vibration/etc. . .it isn't really the movers fault. So I'm guessing this is pretty standard.

I will try to get someone to sign up for "verify its working/sign its working" but it doesn't look popular. This external insurance thing seems better.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:43 pm

You should ask him about it. Some sales people do not make themselves familiar with all of the different levels since a lot of people do not use them.

Here is the link to it on their website:
http://www.mayflower.com/moving/relocat ... ection.htm

3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:16 pm

I agree with Movinghelper. There are a lot of fairly new sales people in the industry, and some of them are learning as they go.

If you need clarification contact Mayflower Headquarters, and ask to have an expert explain 636-305-4000
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”