Last Minute Move - any advice appreciated

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
busybee

Last Minute Move - any advice appreciated

Postby busybee » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:02 am

Hello - I have a dilemma. I just accepted a new job where I will be moving out of state. The issue is that I must be out by end of the month (July). I have started calling up movers but with only 2 weeks left I have not been too successful with finding a reputable mover who has room in their trucks. The only places that claim to have availability on the dates i need are relocators/brokers found on the Internet that we are told to stay away from (black listed). I have one moving company (Don Farr Moving) coming to my apt tomorrow to do an in-house estimate, otherwise, all the other places i called (using phone book) have no room or have not gotten back to me. Given that i don't have much choice, what would you do? Has anyone been in this situation and can offer some advice?

Thanks.

IMP

Re: Last Minute Move - any advice appreciated

Postby IMP » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:30 am

Are you able to do the move yourself using a DITY/you pack - they drive - you unpack service?

Alternatively - one of the bigger movers MIGHT be able to pick you up and store for a while if you have a huge amount of flexibility?

Again - alternatively - can you pack all of your things, load them into a self-storage location until a reputable moving company could move them to wherever it is that you are going? If you go this route - they should still be able to give you a visual survey/written GNTE estimate based on exactly what you say is moving. You could then move it with a rental vehicle to a self-storage facility and you go on to your new job, taking with you only what you absolutely need, and return for the actual move when it works out with you and the mover.

Do not panic - there are options!

blue

Postby blue » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:33 am

If you are able to provide, or arrange, labor for loading and unloading, I would recommend calling ABF for a quote. They go everywhere and should be able to accommodate a trailer drop on short notice. You can contact them via their web site. Possibly Diane will be along soon and can provide more details about their service(s).

Most, if not all the full service majors are faced with cut offs through the end of July, some even through the first week of August. What city are you moving from and to? If you could share some specifics about your move, others on this site may be familiar with additional options.

Postby 23 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:35 am

I have spoken to Busybee and she is getting an in home from Don Farr Moving tomorrow. They have told her that they can do the move.

Don Farr checks out with the BBB and safersys so I agreed that an in home from them should be fine.

She has to be out by 7/30 so time is a constraint and she cannot use a DITY company due to the labor at O & D.

I will review the estimate after she receives it tomorrow and will let you know how it goes!

Postby 23 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:36 am

Sorry Blue, she is moving from Pittsburgh, PA to Chicago!

busybee

Postby busybee » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:10 pm

IMP - thank you for the suggestions. Your suggested alternative about storage might be an option I may have to go with if "plan A" doesn't work out. Thank you.

IMP wrote:Are you able to do the move yourself using a DITY/you pack - they drive - you unpack service?

Alternatively - one of the bigger movers MIGHT be able to pick you up and store for a while if you have a huge amount of flexibility?

Again - alternatively - can you pack all of your things, load them into a self-storage location until a reputable moving company could move them to wherever it is that you are going? If you go this route - they should still be able to give you a visual survey/written GNTE estimate based on exactly what you say is moving. You could then move it with a rental vehicle to a self-storage facility and you go on to your new job, taking with you only what you absolutely need, and return for the actual move when it works out with you and the mover.

Do not panic - there are options!

Postby 23 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:58 pm

Busybee,

Have some bad news! I just spoke with someone in the Pittsburgh area and they didn't have favorable things to say about Don Farr Moving. They suggested you do a drive by and see their facility in West Mifflin!

I suggest you PM IMP and see what he has to say about the situation. He has been in the business for some time!

IMP

Postby IMP » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:02 pm

A thread you might want to look at:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... pittsburgh

Movstress may be a good contact for you as he did the research on moving from Pittsburgh recently. You can PM him/her if you are registered.

dafix

Postby dafix » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:39 pm

As far as Don Farr and their building, they have been there for 20 years. They are a family owned business, but from the looks of things they have a gate, and cameras posted around the facility and I noticed security company in the front.

I don't really know what was meant by the that. Alot of junk comes in nice boxes.

Also I did notice on their trucks that they were movers of the sports teams that has to mean something. And from talking to them you don't have to worry about the problems of owner operators all of their employees work directly for them.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:41 pm

And Donald A Fix, aka owner of Don Farr Moving and Storage, honorably comes by to defend his wonderful company. Oh wait, no, he's posing as a non-company employee, basically spewing out advertisements. Good thing we are all really stupid!
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

dafix

Postby dafix » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:58 am

Actually Its not Donald A Fix and I am sure the organization can attest to that.

Actually a competitor here in Pennsylvania.

Way to assume what do they say makes...

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:32 pm

So, enlighten me, what does your username stand for? That is quite a coincidence. Also, what competitor do you work for? Why would you come to this site to defend another company, without writing anything about your own company?

I'd really like to know what company you work for.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

haast29

Postby haast29 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:43 am

Don Farr co is something else. They should get rid of some of the employees that use the explicit language when you call to complain about the bill $900 that turns out to be $2261. I heard it myself and posted in forums the entire truth. A great representation by one of the employee that works for Don Farr moving Co.

Return to “Open Community”