NYC to Seattle via MoveX - Trouble Already!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
HarleyD

NYC to Seattle via MoveX - Trouble Already!

Postby HarleyD » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:47 pm

Ok...so I stumbled across this site as I was doing my research on the two moving companies I was down to. Seeing how some took it upon themselves to post pre, during and post information about there move and I thought I would do the same.

So here’s my story so far...and already I am being put under the gun!
I had gotten a quote from ABF movers for $195. per linear foot. I was going to go with them but on Friday July 23rd I found Movex. Upon researching them at this site there were some pros and cons. I liked the fact that my things would be picked up and delivered by the same driver. I like the fact that they used air suspended trucks and I liked the fact that I get the cell number of the driver. ABF uses shipping containers and you have to set up the barriers yourself, which from what I read was a nightmare. The cons are that you don’t know whom Movex will be using to ship your stuff (because they are just a broker), there is a large window for a delivery date and you have to pay the whole amount up front!

So I called Movex on that Friday and asked if they could match the quote I received from ABF. They came close, $197. plus threw in the extra $10,000 insurance. I felt that was a good deal, and had them email me the contract. So today, Monday July 26th I called my rep at Movex, Michael Fountain, and wanted to make sure I would definitely have a truck on July 31st as agreed on in the contract (over the weekend I found a post in here where there truck broke down in route and they were not able to pick up there stuff till the next day). I then find out that he could not %100 guarantee it for that day. In shock, I ask why he didn’t mention this on Friday. Being that I canceled ABFs move, and now it is too short a notice to use them I had no choice but to use Movex. He told me that there was a %90 chance of it being here on the 31st. I then explained to him that I must be out by the 31st because another family is moving here from Florida and will be moving in on August 1st. He put me on hold, then came back and told me that it was now a %75 chance because he would not work on it until tomorrow. I immediately asked to speak to the manager, Jeff Volt, who explained to me that they need 5 business days to ensure delivery on the 31st, and that this was a very busy month. I asked why I wasn’t told this from the beginning, in which he had no reply. I then told him that if he got on it today it would then be 5 business days. So he told me to email him directly the contract, and he would "walk it over” himself. So this morning I emailed him the signed contract, then called him and asked him to please contact me sometime today with an update.

Well, at 5:30pm I decided to call and find out what the status was.
He had left for the day, and I was transferred to his voicemail.
I am sweating bullets right now...I am so up shits creek if they don’t show up. I explained to him that if they come on Sunday August 1st you would find all of my family’s belongings in the street.

To Be Continued...

Re: NYC to Seattle via MoveX - Trouble Already!

Postby 23 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:13 pm

Let me go ahead and tell you why we advise people to avoid brokers:

Harley books his move with Movex to move cross country because he feels Movex wouldn't lie to him.

Movex takes Harley's move knowing damn well the end of this month has been closed out for all major van lines for weeks!

Harley's move is sitting out on the internet trying to be sold to someone that might be able to haul it. If Movex didn't price it high enough, there won't be any takers and the load will keep dropping to the bottom of the page.

Here is what I suggest you do:

Contact Broadway Express first thing tomorrow and see if they might want to haul it and that it is booked through Movex. Don't try to have them back sell it, you would just basically be doing Movex's job in finding yourself a hauler.

Tell Movex and BE that if they can load it 7/30 or 7/31 it is fine with you. This will give them an extra day to play with.

Last option, re-book with ABF, they are so large, I am sure they could still help you!

Sorry Harley, hope it all works out!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:59 pm

Harley, I'm very sorry that this happened to you. 23 is correct that all of the majors are booked solid and I think the same could be true of BE.

I agree with 23's advice to try to re-book with ABF. I want to comment on what you said, however:
HarleyD wrote: ABF uses shipping containers and you have to set up the barriers yourself, which from what I read was a nightmare.

A person might call the ABF trailers "shipping containers" but the one I had, at least, was clean and water-tight. The trailers have fiberglass roofs to let the light in so you can load easily. They aren't rough and splintery the way an average "freight box" might be.

Technically you are supposed to set up the bulkhead yourself, but I can tell you from experience that if you're having trouble the driver will help you. The driver wants to get the show on the road, so he's motivated to help. My driver also helped me offload the ramp and load it again after we were finished loading the trailer. Be sure that you know how to install the ramp, though (look at the video on ABF's website), because some of the drivers don't know how.

It's taking down the bulkhead at destination that's more likely to be a problem. Again, however, my driver helped. The problem is that with some of the older bulkheads (the top-bottom style), the load bars get wedged too tight against the sides of the trailer and they're hard to dislodge. The people helping me, working with the driver, finally kicked loose the bottom half of the bulkhead and then they were able to dislodge the top half.

I just wouldn't want people to be afraid to use ABF because of a misconception that the trailers are splintery and dirty and the bulkhead is impossible to install. They aren't and it isn't. OCCASIONALLY a person might get a ratty trailer during the busy season, but judging from the reviews on Epinions, this is very unusual.

HarleyD

Postby HarleyD » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:18 am

Thanks for your feedback, it confirmed our concerns of there honesty.
Ok, tried to find a number or web site for Broadway Express, no luck…anyone have that?
And what does “Don't try to have them back sell it, you would just basically be doing Movex's job in finding yourself a hauler.” mean.
If Broadway Express cannot guarantee an available truck for my needed date, in writing, then I do have a back up plan…you always need a backup plan in these situations! :wink:
To Be Continued…

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:27 am

Hi, Harley . . . you ARE up late (worrying, I guess, which is natural).

The website for Broadway Express is www.broadwayexpress.net, and I think their phone number is on the website. However, as I said previously I doubt whether they will be able to move you because I think they may be booked up just like the majors. Also, because of a non-compete agreement with Movex they aren't supposed to quote on any job that Movex has already quoted on.

I don't know what "back sell" means, either, but maybe 23 was trying to say, don't ask BE to try to find another hauler (freight company) to move you, because that's not their job.

Anyway, I think ABF would be a good backup plan for you, but if you have a better one, that's great! Good luck!

HarleyD

Postby HarleyD » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:24 am

Yea I am a night owl to begin with...but this has gotten me in knots.
Thanks for the url, will contact them tomorrow...ummm, today and see what they say.
To Be Continued...ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz time

Postby 23 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:13 am

Harley,

What I meant about back selling was this:

When you call BE, advise them from the beginning that you already have a load booked with Movex and all you want is their help in hauling it. The non-compete that Diane mentioned is true and BE will not help you if you act like you are getting a quote from them and you already have one from Movex. Also let them know you found them on this site and they just might be able to help.

Also, my back up plan would be to see if ABF can still help, that I think would be the safest plan of all!

HarleyD

Postby HarleyD » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:12 pm

Ok, so here is what has transpired...
I called Broadway express and asked what their availability was for either Friday or Saturday…they basically laughed at me.
I called back ABF to see about getting my original quote/reservation honored.
That was not happening, so they gave me a new quote with an added twist.
The new quote was not that much over the previous one ($25), but all of a sudden I now was told that in NYC the terminal will only give you two hours to move your stuff in once the container is dropped off (Which in my case with a three story house would be impossible). Anything after those two hours would cost me…get this, $56.00 per half hour!!!

So now luckily I have my backup plan…the in case of emergency break glass and do the move yourself plan. Way back in February I reserved a 25’ truck from Penske, got a cheap quote (because it was off season). You see with Penske you can reserve a truck with no deposit at all, reserve the truck for a non peak date (get the cheapest rate), you then get the opportunity to change the move date twice (must be done 48hours prior to move date) so now you reserved a truck for the cheapest time and then change the move date to the peak moving time (or whenever you need it for). And if you find something better, like I HAD with ABF (prior to Movex screwing me over) you can still hold on to the Penske reserved truck all the way up to two days prior to your move date just in case something goes wrong…as in my case!

So the moral of this story is…Use Penske as a backup plan (it costs nothing), never use Movex…cant trust such an important move on a company that just goes out and uses the cheapest company out there no matter if they are reputable or not (Movex is just a broker, just go directly to Broadway Express, they seem very good), not to mention the fact that they will lie up a storm just to get your money in there pockets and finally try to avoid moving during peek time all together.

Will let ya know how things work out with Penske, how the truck is and so on.
Called them up today just to make sure they had it, and they do!
To Be Continued…

Postby 23 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:18 pm

Harley,

I am glad things are somewhat working out for you.

I believe a rep from Movex has been to this site in the past and I am curious if they have been following this.

I kinda thought we would have heard from then by now, but now I just have to ask why I would have thought that.

Anyways, if Movex has read this and has not responded, I would agree that no one else should use them!

Erin

Postby Erin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:49 pm

I am sorry you had a bad experience, Harley. When the truck that originally was going to do my move broke down, it sounded as if it took all day for Movex to find someone else to do the move. Bob our driver actually mentioned that Movex had contacted him about a few moves in NYC, but he turned them down b/c he didn't want to deal with the traffic or the parking or the restrictions there. When I was speaking with Ross from Movex when he had found another truck for us, he said one of the advantages of using Movex is that they have 127 companies working for them. I'm sorry that one of them could not help you. Maybe I should be glad, at the end of the month, someone was able to help me at the last minute. So far, our move has been good (I know that doesn't help you), and everyone has been very helpful and friendly, and I'm sad it could not have worked out that way for you too. Good luck with your move.

HarleyD

Postby HarleyD » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:55 pm

Another thing I should mention, originally on Friday Michael Fountain said they would need 5 business days to guarantee the move date of the 31st. He also said that the 30th was totally out of the question. I then received a contract from Michael which had an incorrect amount of time to load van (was told by Michael I had 10 hours to move stuff in truck, but the contract he sent me said 8 -). When I called back the next day I spoke to another sales person (Rob Isler, Michael wasn’t in on Saturdays), mentioned the incorrect time and asked if it was at all possible to have the pick up on Friday the 30th. Rob said he might be able to get it for that day, and that he would send me a new contract with the correct amount of time and a new pickup date of the 30th/31st (had both on the contract as a pick up date). On Monday, that is when I called and spoke to Michael and then the rest of the story is what I wrote up there in the beginning of this post. (One note, the manager who I spoke to, which was supposed to have called me back wasn’t Jeff Volt but Jeff Voth…)
Now when I sent my contract over on Monday, (before I found out it was just a scam to take my money and they knew they would never be able to honor that pick up date) I received two emails back. One was a letter from the customer service manager, Don Brown, which was a standard letter verifying the information given and telling me the basic stuff on how everything will work and how the pick up will be on the 30th/31st…and another from a Cindy Howe, who is from the operations department (way too many departments involved I say) who said that now all of a sudden they needed SIX business days to ensure the 31st pick up date…thus it just proves to me even further how they will lie through there teeth to get your money…Michael and Jeff told me FIVE and once I send the contract over I get this email that tells me SIX…unreal hu!
Here is here exact words, figure you all would get a kick out of it:

Thank you for selecting Movex to assist you with your upcoming relocation. We have received your contract for you move scheduled 7/30/2004. Because your scheduled pickup date is less than six (6) business days from the receipt of your contract, we may need a bit of flexibility on your actual pickup and delivery dates.
We will make every effort to make sure your relocation takes place according to your schedule. Once we fully assess the options, we will notify you as soon as we can

So this morning I got a hold of Jeff Voth (after 20 questions from the receptionist…they screen all there calls) and told him I spoke to Broadway Express and asked him if he had found a van line to pick up my stuff. He said no and I then asked to please cancel the contract (must be done three days prior to pick up date to get a full refund…thus for me today) He told me to send an email to Cancel@Movex.com and I would receive a confirmation email back…well, did that hours ago and still have to confirmation letter back...thinking they will try to play games and say they never got it, by tomorrow it will be like a $400.- penalty charge…
Unreal…
To Be Continued…

Stuart S

Re: NYC to Seattle via Movex

Postby Stuart S » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:30 pm

"HarleyD",

From your comments it is apparent we did not meet your expectations in scheduling your move, and for that I apologize on behalf of Movex.

While debating the specifics of your moving plans on an internet forum is not the best venue, I feel compelled to touch on a few points. If you would like to speak personally, please call me.

1. Movex has not scammed you. We have not "lied up a storm just to get your money in [there] pockets..." Movex has not collected any money from you.

2. You called in on Friday requesting to move on one of the busiest days of the year. Because Movex has the ability to provide capacity in peak periods, Movex offered you a competitive quote and extra insurance. When the agreement was sent to you, it included a note to return the agreement immediately. We needed the agreement in house because we had a truck in your area and could not assign it without the agreement. The agreement was not returned by you until Monday (and only after we called you). The truck was assigned to a different customer by then and your shipment was assigned a standby status.

Movex has been in business for 20 years. We have a reputation for going the extra mile and taking care of our customers.

Kindest regards,

Stuart Suddath
President
Movex, Inc.

Postby 23 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:24 pm

Stuart,

I happen to work for the largest mover in this country and you are very familiar with it!

We were booked up through the end of July since June sometime and stopped taking orders back then.

Can I ask why you are still accepting orders for the busiest time of the year if you are obviously having difficulty covering them??? Why not be ethical and refer them to ABF in which you know can handle due to their size and availability.

From a business standpoint, it would seem responsible on your part to stop booking when you know you can't cover it!

Stuart S

Postby Stuart S » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:54 am

If you know who I am or anything about my background, you know that members of my family run one of the largest agencies in a major van line. My grandfather was one of the original signers of the document that started the Interstate Commerce Commission in 1933. I am well aware of capacity problems in the major van lines.

The self-service moving industry uses an entirely different business model than the model of traditional full-service movers. Movex focuses on customer satisfaction rather than on limited asset utilization. Currently, Movex still has capacity in selected markets. I am sure that some of the agents of major van lines still have capacity in selected markets as they are required by the van line to keep equipment available for EPU's and Rule 19's.

We are continuing to accept orders in the markets where we still have capacity. We are a responsible company and,based on my experience in the full service moving industry, operate a company with more integrity and customer satisfaction than the major van lines.

There will be situations that arise that will cause customers to be delayed. There will be some difficulties in the busiest times of the year regardless of how many trucks we have available. What we do when those situations arise are what makes us a great company. We consider the customer and do our best to satisfy them.

Please be assured that Movex will NEVER scam a customer. This site was designed by Tim Walker to warn people about the horrible experience of having a "scam" mover load household goods and then extort money out of the unknowing customer by threatening not to deliver the goods until they pay more. In my opinion, it seems to have gotten away from that core mission as far as Movex is concerned. Many of the people who watch this site know that Movex has time and again tried to do the right thing for all of its customers. Customers comment on this site that Movex did a good job. There is not one posting that says "Movex scammed me". Yet, you, Diane, Musicmom, and the gang constantly try to direct customers away from us. I just don't understand why you would do that when we consistently provide good service and do what is right.

If you are concerned about how much money Movex makes for providing this service, I can assure you that it is not as much money as the booking and van lines commissions added into any major van line move.

Enough said.

Stuart S

Postby 23 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:07 am

Stuart,

Thank you for your response. I DO know who you are and I do know your family. I also have family that own a few agents within the same van line you once were involved with.

Service failures will always happen as you and I know. The difference between let's say ABF and Movex is simple, you are the middleman working with many different companies. ABF deals with consumers with no middleman.

We just recommend that if a customer can avoid a broker, then that is the safest way to go (other than moving themselves). Face it, you could assign a load to XYZ Corp. to handle a move for you and without knowing it, their insurance had been cancelled 2 weeks prior. So what happens when that truck burns and there wasn't any insurance.

How can I tell a customer it is ok to use Movex when I can't do research on the company you will broker it out to until 2-3 days before the actual move and that's if you even let them know who it will be. It could still change after that.

Stuart, with the lawless state of the industry and the problems that happen everyday, I feel you might just be doing right, but at the wrong time.

Return to “Open Community”