PLEASE ADVISE!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
lorax

PLEASE ADVISE!

Postby lorax » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:30 pm

First, let me say that this is a GREAT site. Wish I'd known about it sooner and I'm definately going to donate - that is, WHEN I GET MY STUFF!

We moved from Seattle to Omaha 11 days ago. Our spread was 3-10 days. No one seems to have any idea where our stuff is. Apparently the driver isn't answering his cell phone and the last contact with them was 5 days ago in Oregon. This is with Atlas who we actually heard decent things about. We've had the usual lies, not returning calls, misinformation etc. My question is - what recourse do we have. If even the moving company hasn't heard from the driver in 5 days, isn't our stuff considered missing? ARGHH! Of course today is Saturday. We both start new jobs Monday so this will be fun. Oh yeah, and we have a 1 year-old!!

Any suggestions?

MusicMom

Re: PLEASE ADVISE!

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:59 pm

The driver has gone AWOL? What kind of things does Atlas say when you call them?

lorax

Postby lorax » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:25 pm

That they aren't able to get a hold of him and haven't been able to since 5 days ago. Apparently they keep trying him on his cell and he doesn't answer or call back.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:19 pm

Which Atlas agent did you use?
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

IMP

Postby IMP » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:18 pm

If it were me - and it's not - and this might be a bit risky - but since Atlas cannot seem to locate their own employee - I would be filing a police report right now for theft. Take your inventories to the local police department with your order for service showing that you were told delivery would be prior to today, and that the company you hired is unable to locate their driver, therefore you have nothing else to consider but that the employee has stolen your property. Hopefully someone has given you the driver's name??????

What is the weight of your shipment?

Has Atlas offered you anything as far as compensation for living accommodations and life's necessities?

Feel free to PM me if you feel more comfortable communicating that way.

IMP

Postby IMP » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:34 pm

And I am SO very sorry that this is happening to you!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:04 pm

Has anyone at Atlas thought about contacting the police in the last state he was known to be in? What if he's lying in a ditch somewhere hurt? Or HAS run off with the truck? This is weird...

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:10 pm

I'm going to post this detailed story from the other thread, I keep missing points, and it's good for us to know our stuff has been finally delivered, and that the driver was not missing or hurt.

Here are some of the highlights

1) they gave us a 3-10 day spread. Not once in that 10 day period did they call us. No updates, nothing. Usually didn't return our calls either and when we did get a hold of them they gave the impression that returning customers calls/giving updates was not something that we should expect.

2) At 7 days we were told our stuff would be here "tomorrow". We were moving from Seattle to Chicago area. Turns out (we found out later) our stuff was still on the west coast.

3) at 9 days told it would likely be here the next day. ditto for 10 days. Again, turns out there was no way that was possible.

4) We kept being told that they couldn't locate the driver (passing the buck). Eventually we called the 1-800 main Atlas number. To their credit, they were excellent. Turns out a delay of 2 days (making it 12 total) had been added to our file. Mitchell never informed of us that at any point. Also, the driver had been told we preferred to move at 12 days (not true). And, turns out the driver hadn't been contacted at all.

5) Final move was at 12 days after about 10 phones calls to the main atlas number. almost two full weeks to get our stuff.

6) also, we suspect that a loader took some jewellery.

7) the customer service agent was not friendly and evasive.

We did love the guy who gave the quote (Don I think his name was) and the loaders and driver seemed nice. They were right on their quote. What I never understand is why they just don't say it like it is. If they were to have said, you know your move is two days delayed it would suck but these things do happen. But we spent about a week thinking our stuff would arrive "tomorrow". The main Atlas people went out of their way to find out what was going on and to tell us to book a hotel they'd pay, buy stuff we needed etc. and apologize. Mitchell did none of that. When I asked what we were to do in the event our stuff was late the customer service rep said to contact 1-800 atlas and not in a pleasant tone of voice.

Good luck!

lorax

Postby lorax » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:23 am

we are supposed to get our stuff today. We spoke to the driver last night who seemed nice and he told us he was informed we didn't want the delivery for another few days. Who knows what the "real story" is - I'm glad he is ok. I seriously worried that he got in an accident or something. Still no word from our original moving company (Mitchell). it wasn't until we started dealing with the main Atlas company that anything started moving at all.

Thanks for all your help/advice.

IMP

Postby IMP » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:42 am

YOU ARE STILL ENTITLED TO DELAY OF DELIVERY.

Hope you check that inventory off very carefully - don't sign anything until you are 100% sure that you have everything and it's in the condition you gave it to them in.

Good luck with your new jobs and the baby - and please follow up when you can.

Return to “Open Community”