revising non-binding estimate

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
CA_Move

revising non-binding estimate

Postby CA_Move » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:20 pm

First let me say that this site has been invaluable to me as I've planned my move from CA to D.C. Though the site advised against it, I went with a non-binding estimate, albeit from a company (Gentle Giant, Atlas agent out of Hawthorne) recommended on the boards here. I was pressed for time and in an unusual situation where I was unable to get more than one estimate. But I asked a million questions and felt comfortable going with them.

The non-binding estimate was based on a 2,000lb load. I witnessed the weighing which came out to 1,850lbs. I've requested that the estimate be revised based on this lower weight. Is this request premature, as my goods are currently SIT? Nancy or Diane please advise.

Also, the agent said that things are really busy/backed up in CA, that they're having to wait on trucks to come back from out-of-state moves. Are you finding that this is the case?

Again, thanks so much for all your help - past, present, and (no doubt) more to come.

Re: revising non-binding estimate

Postby 23 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:48 pm

First of all Gentle Giant was not recommended from this site. There might have been positive comments about them, but this site does not recommend movers.

Secondly, the estimate will not need to be re-done. If Atlas doesn't have a 2000# minimum, especially in the summer, I will be surprised. If you end up paying less for the 150# difference, I am happy for you.

And lastly, did you ask for the SIT at origin??? Trucks are leaving CA everyday, there shouldn't be a reason (unless you needed it) that your shipment should be sitting there for longer than a week. What where the dates for delivery on your estimate/order for service?

IMP

Postby IMP » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:08 pm

While I haven't run any numbers - isn't S.I.T. in the Washington, DC area cheaper than CA?

CA_Move

Postby CA_Move » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:51 pm

First of all, sorry for misusing "recommended." Second, they have a 1000lb minimum. Third, I did ask for the SIT because I hadn't found a place in D.C. yet. I had an extremely small window of time for the pick-up so had to opt for SIT. Hopefully, I should have a place secured by Friday. So, back to my original question: can/should the non-binding estimate be revised? 150lbs isn't much difference but I'd like to do anything to keep costs reasonable for my budget.

Postby 23 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:52 am

Thanks for clarifying!

The problem that I see right now is that you can't schedule a delivery until you have a place. Let's say you find a place this Friday and you call Atlas to tell them you are ready. They will more than likely need 1 full week to schedule the pick up, then an additional 5-12 days to get it delivered to DC.

To answer your question, you signed a non-binding estimate. This means you pay the actual charges. They will not need to re-do the estimate, your final charges will be on your Bill of Lading.

Good luck. And if it were me, I would have had the SIT at dest. That way while you were looking for a place to live, your shipment could have been traveling out there. Then scheduling a local delivery could have happened within a day or so!

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:24 pm

Do NOT use Gentle Giant in Hawthorne. I chose them for my move from LA to Baltimore based on what was said about them on this site. I put my things in storage as you were going to do. When I arrived in Baltimore, I found a place within a week. Within a week and a half of my arrival, I called their agent (Patricia, I'm guessing is dealing with you as well) and gave her the delivery address. That was on the 13th of July. I am still waiting on my shipment to be delivered. Patricia at Gentle Giant lied to me on three separate occasions giving me shipment pickup dates and delivery dates, none of which happened. It has been nearly a month since I gave her the delivery address. When I initially signed my contract with them, she had told me it takes approximately fourteen days from the day you give them a delivery address for shipments to be delivered. I was lied to.

I called repeatedly, and several times was not called back. Each time I did manage to get Patricia on the phone I was lied to regarding a delivery date. Not to mention, she gave me the line about it being backed up as well and not being able to get a truck, which in my opinion was bullsh*t.

My credit card was charged for the move over three weeks ago. I am looking at a final delivery date the middle of next week (from the actual Atlas driver and not Gentle Giant). I am currently in the process of writing a letter to both Gentle Giant and the Better Business Bureau regarding their business practices and to demand some financial compensation for their deceit and blatant disregard for me as a paying customer.

I repeat, DO NOT USE GENTLE GIANT IN HAWTHORNE. Not only are their business practices suspect, but their agents seem to have no idea what they are doing.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:55 pm

Very sorry to hear this, Laurie. I reviewed your first post just now and noted that Nancy had made this comment about Gentle Giant:

I am very familiar with Gentle Giant in our market as a competitor. They have a quality reputation and an involved owner. I would recommend you be sure to get a GNTE estimate and an Order for Service from them ahead of time. All movers and van lines are having service issues this summer. Be sure the dates and price meet what your expectations from verbal conversations are.

It seems to me in retrospect that Nancy was trying to caution you that there could be backups and delays during this busy season and that you shouldn't rely on verbal assurances. I feel your pain, but I would just say that obviously the moving companies aren't trying to delay in delivering people's things. I believe them when they say that they can't get trucks and drivers, because what motive would they have to lie to you? I feel that the amount of business this season has taken everyone by surprise.

In addition, what I take from 23's comment is that people should try to have their things stored at destination in situations like this, because then at least the goods will be traveling cross country while they are looking for a place to live. It's too bad that you apparently weren't informed of this when you booked the move. For that, I fault the sales rep.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:53 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but are there not two Gentle Giants in the DC/Maryland area. One a scam company and one an Atlas agent?

Second I would be curious to ask if they are still charging you for storage. It doesnt sound right that a major would give you an answer of up to 14 days for delivery. Normally they give you spreads, say something like 5-12 days.

And Diane is correct in finding drivers.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:58 pm

Are you thinking of Giant Van Lines?

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:01 pm

Could be, am I????
Michael

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:03 pm

Safer's down, so i tried a search by name on the FMCSA page, and no Gentle Giant in MD. But that is where Giant Van lines, infamous scammer and AMSA member, is located.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:04 pm

Who, incidentally, had its license revoked on August 2.

But anyway, back to the topic.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:09 pm

Ok but which is which?
Michael

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:18 am

I see Gentle Giant in MA, plus this mention of the one in CA. Diane, are there more?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:23 am

To clarify:

Gentle Giant, Hawthorne, CA www.ggiant.com (agent for Atlas)

Gentle Giant, Massachusetts www.gentlegiant.com (unrelated)

Return to “Open Community”