in middle of move w/ Jackson (chicago-NY)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
monica67

in middle of move w/ Jackson (chicago-NY)

Postby monica67 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:22 pm

Hi guys, I've been out of touch due to the ugly reality of moving (ugh) and not having my computer. I wanted to check with people here on the current problem I'm having. Once everything is done, I'm planning a fuller report for you.

But just to overview, the pickup went generally fine. They were late a couple of hours, but honestly, we needed those hours. They were efficient with the loading and pleasant. Our problem right now is that we still don't have an estimate on a delivery date. Jackson assured me that on the pickup day (that was Wed., 28 July) they would give us a narrower window for the delivery. We started out with a window of Aug. 2-11, which is supposed to be narrowed down to a few days. On Friday, Jackson still couldn't give me that, and on my request, they gave me Allied's number so I could talk to them directly. The customer service person simply said they don't have a driver yet and so couldn't give us that narrower window. I got nowhere with her so spoke with the manager. She not only insisted that they could do this (delay giving us this information) but that if the delivery is not made by the 11th, it would be ok ("I don't see a problem" was something like what she said), and that it's not guaranteed. When my sister said that we would need a discount if we don't get our stuff by the 11th, Allied said that would not happen, since it's not guaranteed.

Is this usual? Is there something we can do? They insist they don't have a driver yet (because it's their busy season - can't they plan for this?) and that's why they can't give us a reasonable range of delivery dates. It seems we're at an impasse. We're going to contact them by Wednesday if we haven't heard from them, but I don't know what else to do.

thanks for the help! You guys have been great!

monica
:roll:

Re: in middle of move w/ Jackson (chicago-NY)

Postby 23 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:54 pm

Is this usual? Is there something we can do? They insist they don't have a driver yet (because it's their busy season - can't they plan for this?) and that's why they can't give us a reasonable range of delivery dates.

Monica, they have given you a reasonable range of delivery, the 2nd through the 11th. This is very common to not know exactly when the shipment will arrive. Believe me when I tell you that they are working on your order everyday.

Sometimes if the shipment weighs less than 3500#, you will NOT be entitled to a delay claim for a late delivery. If your shipment weighs more than that, you should get 100% reasonable lodging and 50% of meals. Check with your rep cuz I am not familiar with Allied's policies.

I would just sit back and act like you are on vacation right now. I don't see a need to worry yet!

monica67

Postby monica67 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:13 pm

I'm sorry, but I disagree completely, for two reasons:

Jackson told me that they would give us a narrower window for the delivery on the date of pickup. Why would I not expect a company to do what it says??? Isn't that what this site is about (in part)?

The second is that my sister needs to take off a day of work to move in. If she has a window of say 3 or 4 days (as they said we would), she can at least take a day near the probable date of delivery. This is simply reality. People don't get vacation time at the drop of a hat. They can't walk into work and say I need off tomorrow. I tried to tell Allied that, but they seemed to think it didn't matter. Plus, if it's going to be after the 8th, the delivery will be to two locations, since my sister's apartment will be available to move into. And what is she supposed to tell the Apartment people? I'm moving in some time in the next couple of weeks, but I don't know when? That's just unreasonable, I think.

If it's common to not know the delivery date, then I shouldn't have been promised I would know. They told me they would, and I will hold them to that. I don't think that's unreasonable. And they better be working on my shipment everyday, but I would expect a company to not overbook themselves and to know that they're in their busy season, so that they have drivers for all their shipments. I don't think these are unreasonable expectations.

It's bad enough I had to take the 9 day spread, which, yes, I know is usual, but it's long. We don't have the luxury of acting like we're on vacation. And as long as my stuff is not in my possession I will worry. There are too many horror stories for me to be 100% sure that everything will work out.

In the end, all I'm trying to do is hold them to their word. They said they would give me the narrower window. I want it. Period.

monica
:x

monica67

Postby monica67 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:17 pm

Forgot to ask:

What I really need to know is whether I have any recourse if I don't get my belongings by the 11th. The manager of customer service at Allied seemed to think there wasn't a problem if we didn't get our stuff by the 11th, our promised delivery date. That just doesn't sound right to me. Let me know what your experiences have been with this!

monica

Postby 23 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:20 pm

Monica,

Have you contacted your sales rep yet? I would at least call him/her everyday until you know for sure when it will be delivered.

I am not implying that you or your sister can take a day off at the drop of a hat, just letting you know that you signed a contract with a 9 day delivery window, not 3 or 4 days.

Sorry to be a bug, I just call it how I see it!

What is the weight of the shipment???

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:12 pm

Monica,

23 gave you a reasonable solution to the lateness of your shipment, depending on what Allieds policy is. Most companies have a weight minimum. His example of 3500 pounds and for late delivery is what United has as a minimum and their procedures for late delivery.

In most cases if a shipment is picked up directly by the driver who is going to unload you, then yes, he can narrow your delivery down to 1-2 days within your spread of 2-11. But since your shipment was not picked up by the driver taking it to destination, it falls into the lap of Allieds dispatch to find a driver and get you delivered.

I know that still doesnt help you or your sister.

The sales person should have been more open and explain in further detail to you how delivery dates work.

Also note, if your spread is 2-11 days, and the driver or customer service coordinator call you ahead of time to let you know that even though the driver agreed to say delivery you on the 7th, but for some reason now cannot, yet they still deliver you by the 11th, then they have "quote unquote" delivered you on time. If no contact is made, and the driver failes to delivery you as promised, then he has delivered you "quote unquote" late.

Again it depends on Allieds policy and weight minimums.

Best of luck, and yes, I agree with 23, get on your sales persons' AZZZZZZZZZZ.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”