Great move with Sterling Van Lines

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
nowhere

Great move with Sterling Van Lines

Postby nowhere » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:19 pm

I posted earlier about my intra-state move within California, from Southern CA to the SF Bay Area (330 miles). After meeting with and talking to some larger agents/companies and some curbside/pallet movers, I decided to go with Sterling Van Lines - http://sterlingvanlines.com. This was my first experience with movers, and it was so surprisingly easy. It came in under estimate with no additional charges, everything is present and in very good shape (minor scratches and tape residue on some items), everyone at Sterling was helpful and accessible, and everyone was on time. I don't know that I could expect anything more.

As for the details: I had to arrange this move in a bit of a hurry. I first called Sterling two weeks ago. Very quickly, Sandy the Sterling rep was able to give me a good estimate of $1,200 for #2,000, address all of my questions, and schedule pick-up for the following Tuesday, with delivery the week after that. I was given the option of a binding price for a set list of items, or to go by weight. I opted to go by weight and it came in closer to #1,600, even though I ended up moving more items than the original list. The cost included a short stairway and shuttle at pick-up, and no hourly charges as my furniture did not require any complicated disassembly. The movers arrived exactly in the middle of the windows I was given by dispatch on both the pick-up and delivery days.

My only (minor) concern through the whole process was unfortunately, due to the rush and some delay in document preparation, I was not able to get the contract prior to pickup. Aside from that, I am very pleased with the experience and will call them again the next time I move. Thank you to everyone posting here, both in response to my post and the others I was able to search in the archives - it was a tremendous help and very educational.

Side note: I am now planning a small move (a few electronics and appliances, maybe 10 small boxes) from the SF Bay Area to Hawaii. I don't know that Sterling does this type of move very cost effectively; I think their costs come to around $2/pound. From my research, it looks like freight forwarders or USPS parcel post would be the best option, since I don't have enough for my own 20 foot container. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Return to “Open Community”