recommendations

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Lynne212

recommendations

Postby Lynne212 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:36 pm

hi

has anyone heard of the following companies, and if so has it been good or bad?

- All american van lines
- American Home moving & storage
- Pinnacle moving
- Stevens worldwide van lines

also, what is an ISO9001:2000 registration?

thanks!

MusicMom

Re: recommendations

Postby MusicMom » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:58 pm

Do you have DOT/MC numbers for any of these? I know Stevens is one of the smaller major van lines, so you'd actually want to fnd out the specific agent you'd be dealing with.

What towns are you moving from, and to? You should be looking for movers in the town you're moving from, and do not use any mover that contcts you as a direct result of inputting your information into a moving website (specifically van.ines.com, 123movers.com, and others).

Safersys is down right now, so the simplest route of geting information can't be used. I'll see if I can locate these companies through other means, and report their records to you.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:09 pm

This should answer your question about All American Van Lines:
http://www.oig.dot.gov/item_details.php?item=1015

American Home does not appear to have an interstate license. They might have an intrastate one, but oyu'd have to call the New York Public Utilities Commission to check on it. From the hits on a Google search, I do not believe they are a legitimate mover.

I can't really tell which Pinnacle Moving is the one you're talking about. There' seems to be references to one in Alabama, Arizona, and PA (which has court transcripts for reading here.

I'll double check all of this when Safersys is back online. Tell me which agent of Stevens you are thinking of using.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:46 pm

Lynn,

ISO 9001 is an international standard that sets companys apart in regards to how things are done. Everything within their systems has a function, a way of it being completed. From registering an order to requesting specific functions be accomplished within a company. There is a paper trail.

Just for example and its a silly one, but maybe easier to understand. Lets say I want to ask that our company change its policy on how we pack. I first have to write up the request and give it to the appropriate party, who in turn looks over the document before forwarded it to the appropriate party.

There are standards for everything. From how to pack, to how the warehouse is maintained and cleaned. Initially there are monthly reviews and scores maintained.

Personally I think its great for companies to be ISO 9001 registered and qualified. It provides standards for companies in which to run their business. Most international companies that use American companies will only use ISO 9001 registered companies. But does it make them any better then a good company that isnt registered, no not really. Very few companies are registered ISO 9001. Its not an easy thing to get going and maintain and pass for that matter.

In my opinion its like a sales person that tries to sell himself/herself as CRC (Certified Relocation Consultant). Are they any better then ones that are not certified, in my opinion, no they are not.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”