Delancey Street Movers--heard they are great!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Delancey Street Movers--heard they are great!

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:35 pm

anyone used them?

they seem like they might be legit.

Diane

Re: delancy street movers?

Postby Diane » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:25 pm

Hi - they have two good reviews on this website. One is by Jon on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237
and the other one is by "Dita" on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2352

You can see everything on the company by doing a search on "Delancey" with an e before the y (the correct spelling). They look good to me, although I might feel slightly more comfortable with them for a move within California than for a cross-country move. You should get references if you're considering the latter.
--------------------------------

:arrow: This is an UPDATE added by Diane in February 2007.

So that people won't have to scroll through this whole thread looking for phone numbers for the various branches, here they are. They are difficult to come by since Delancey doesn't advertise. The people listed are the supervisors and it's a good idea to speak with them if possible. I will update the names as necessary because there is turnover as people graduate from the program and so on.

Delancey Street-San Francisco (phone 415-512-5110) - speak with Greg Harper (head of all five branches)
Delancey Street-Los Angeles (phone 323-890-2300) - speak with Anthony Koop or Dan Jarvis
Delancey Street-New York (phone 845-278-6181) - speak with Jason Young
Delancey Street-New Mexico (phone 505-852-4291) - speak with Mike McHugh
Delancey Street-North Carolina (phone 336-379-8477) - speak with Eric Christou (pronounced Kristo)

As of late 2007, Delancey has a new website with a page on how their moving company operates, here - www.delanceystreetfoundation.org/entermoving.php
Last edited by Diane on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Cali-bound

Postby Cali-bound » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:52 pm

People I know have used Delancey for moves within CA and been very, very happy. However, I don't know anyone who's used them for a cross-coutnry move. I didn't even know they did cross-country moves.

They don't advertise. Most of their clients come by word of mouth.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:12 pm

Just an update - someone posting as "robpower" has just given them another good review for a local move on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19467

sterrno

Re: delancey street movers?

Postby sterrno » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:46 pm

i just spoke with "olie" @ delancy street movers in san francisco {(415) 957-9800} about moving from oakland to boston - they seem to only have one truck that heads east once a month - and their truck for feb was already full......odd.....olie did confirm that they had a interstate license.....hope that helps :shock: :shock:

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:10 pm

They are a small company with a small number of tractor-trailers and they do only a limited number of cross-country runs. Similarly, the branch of Delancey Street Movers located north of New York City does only a limited number of runs to FL. They are not in the same league with agents of major van lines in terms of volume. They aren't going to sound like smooth-talking salesmen when you call because they are real people who have faced tough challenges and survived. However, the reviews on this website indicate that they do a very good job. A couple of people in the industry--including a manager at Delancey Street itself--have told me that damage is slightly higher than average because some workers aren't as highly trained as employees of major van lines but that claims are always paid promptly and fairly.

Here are some threads with other positive reviews of Delancey Street:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237 (several local, 2 cross-country reports)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2352 (several local, 1 cross-country report) - this thread has many details about the company.

Here is a very positive review of the Los Angeles branch of Delancey Street on another website:-
http://www.moverreviews.com/Ratings/100.asp

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:39 am

I have used them numerous times for moves within CA. Very satisfied. Professional and fast. Actual cost was usually under estimate. Once the actual cost exceeded estimate by 2 hours. But they did not charge me beyond estimate. Twice I used other movers for approx same distance and Delancey Street was far better and much cheaper. Highly recommend.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:12 pm

Guest, it would be helpful if you could post a few more details because as it is, it's hard to judge whether your post is legitimate or not. For example, you are talking about CA but posting from NY. If you want to contribute a positive review of Delancey Street, please help us by telling a little bit more about your moves.

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:14 pm

Sure can. Sorry about that. I had used Delancey Street for moves around Los Angeles and also from Los Angeles to Orange County, probably 4 times. They were on time, fast and never charged me beyond what they quoted me despite the fact they brought another guy and it took longer than estimated. One of my moves, I forgot about a storage space i needed moved which was not part of the estimate. I remembered the day of the move and expected to pay more for it. They did not charge me however. They shrinkwrap everything. I have had no complaints with them. I am currently considering using them for a LA to Las Vegas move. They quoted me $2709 for 6000 pounds and that estimate was based on inhome inspection. I must have gotten on some lists or something b/c all these movers I have not heard of are sending me quotes. They range from $700 - $3000. Now that is scary! I am considering renting a truck myself b/c the move is more than I wanted to spend but I feel real comfortable recommending Delancey Street and have no problem leaving them alone to do their job. Other local movers I have used cost quite a bit more, were slower and sloppier with the furniture. I also had my refrigerator damaged in one of the moves with a local mover. I was real bummed!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:16 pm

Thanks for the additional info. That helps. I'm just going to summarize all this material about the various branches of Delancey Street Movers so people looking for a summary can find it more easily. In August 2004, "jkchelse" posted another positive review of the NY branch (which is in Brewster, NY, near the Connecticut line) on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237 :

jkchelse wrote:I've used Delancey street 9 times over the last 10 years and have recommended friends who have used them from NY to CA and NY to FL.
They do an incredible job and are very careful and reliable. Remember that most interstates are based on volume/weight and in all cases Delancey's estimates were +/- 10% with is incredible!

I tipped them each time and received a thank you note from the foundation for the "donation." Talk about honest.

I highly recommend them

This is the actual post by Dita dating from August 2004 referred to above. It's on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2352

Dita wrote:Hi--Last year I moved from Oakland, CA to Maryland. I used Delancey Street Moving and found them to be just spectacular! They are said to have branches in New York and San Francisco. The move took 4 days and there was snow on the ground. These people showed up in uniform (6 men) and packed up my flat, paying careful attention to breakable items. Upon arrival in MD, I gave them a check for the balance--no quibbling over anything! The written estimate was exactly what was charged. All of my things arrived in wonderful condition. Nothing was scratched or broken. I was so happy with them. They are run by the Delancey Street Foundation which helps previously-incarcerated people. They were recommended to me by a parents' organization at UC-Berkeley. They are listed in the SF yellow pages but I had to call Directory Assistance in New York to get their number there. . . .

When they picked up by things in CA, the trucks said "Delancey Street" and so did the uniforms. The people who drove away were the same people who delivered my things to MD. I was skeptical but all went splendidly. http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2352

An anonymous guest then responded to Dita's post on the same thread as follows:

Great to see this thread. I too am going to be making a move from NYC to SF. My boyfriend just used Delancy Street for a local SF move (Peninsula to the city) and after seeing these guys move him my first thought was "god I hope they can do a NYC to SF move for me." They are GREAT. I can tell you that my boyfriend has used them twice in the SF Bay area and that at least 5 of his friends have used them.

They show up on time, their quotes never change, they take better care of your stuff than you do, they pack everything, and they are the most polite people you will ever meet. It was 90 degrees when we moved and they did not stop for a drink of water. We gave them bottled water, which is apparently all they are allowed to accept. (They drank it in the truck on the drive, not in front of us). My boyfriend's landlord watched them move the heavy stuff to make sure they didn't scratch anything, and they never missed a beat. If you are worried about their previous history, do not be. While I obviously can't vouch for every person in the program or how they are for x-country moves, the people we've met and who my boyfriend's friends have met will impress you. They don't talk about their past -- they are there to do a job for you and they do it very well.

By the way, it is not necessary to tip them, but if you do, they will give you a receipt which counts as a charitable donation. Tips are shared among all the drivers and people who are at Delancy Street, they don't go into the mover's pockets. This extra money is used for group activities for the people who live there, such as a baseball game night out.

I believe they have a restaurant in SF but I haven't been there yet.

I shared some of this with "tamarcita" in October 2004 when she had to make a last-minute move from NYC after negotiating with scammers, and she posted as follows - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2741

tamarcita wrote:Tim, Diane, Musicmom...thanks for all your advise. I am going with Delancey in the end. I have used them in SF and have liked them, so I feel comfortable with that. In addition, that is my line of work, so it feels right to be supporting the foundation. I will have to juggle the logistics on the other end (which is what I wanted to avoid), but it is worth it for me. I feel more relaxed about the move and supporting a foundation that I believe in. Yes, I am paying more than I anticpated, but I guess I was being unrealistic. Anyway, I am about to unplug my computor to pack it, so I will let you know how the whole thing progresses when I have internet access. Until then, thanks again . . .

I am borrowing a friend's computor, so an update installment. I used Delancey Street NY. They have don't have very frequent runs, and I think they only go to a few places (but don't quote me on that). I got on the last truck going out to California until mid-December. Also, they have a 30 day window of delivery which also worked for me since I have the storage issue, but I realize that is probably might not work for others.

On my move....so far so good!!! They arrived on time and were really good guys!! I live 3 loooooong flights up, and they didn't complain at all (when I moved out here I felt guilty about them having to climb the stairs because they complained the whole time). They were careful with my stuff and took time to wrap and mark things with care. Originally I was told that the truck would be leaving the end of this week and it might be about 2-3 weeks to get my stuff. But I got a call today, and that it should arrive in California early next week. If I didn't have to negotiate the storage on the other end, they also would have come out much cheaper than the estimates that I got from the reputable companies. My stuff weighed in at 2,000#, so with the extra insurance that I got and the parking ticket (NYC) I will be paying about $2,200. You pay everything at delivery when your stuff is still on the truck.

I got a few estimates 2 days before my move:
Wheaton/Flatbush: $3,100
Allied: $2,900

Anyway, once again, I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions during this move. I will let you know how it all goes when I get on the other end. But so far, I would say Delancey long distance is 2 thumbs up

So, by my count as of today that makes about 8 unsolicited positive reviews of the various branches of Delancey Street. Some people also referred to multiple good experiences that their friends had. This is a very large number of recommendations considering that Delancey Street doesn't advertise whatsoever. It is a larger number of recommendations than any conventional moving company has on this website except for University Van Lines (Atlas) in Rahway, NJ, and All Star Moving in Brooklyn, NY. (Broadway Express and ABF have more, but they are freight companies.)

I am giving the phone numbers for the various Delancey Street branches below - they are difficult to come by since Delancey doesn't advertise:

Delancey Street-SF (phone 415-512-5110) - speak with Greg or Ollie
Delancey Street-LA (phone 323-890-2300) - speak with Aaron
Delancey Street-NY (phone 845-278-0314) - speak with Meredith

The branch in NY is near Danbury, CT, and it doesn't do much interstate moving. People from the NY area who cross the country with Delancey are usually moved by Delancey Street-SF or Delancey Street-LA trucks that are looking for backhaul (return loads going back to CA). From what I understand, Delancey usually sends only one truck a month across the United States, so people who want to move with them should book with them early.

Also, here is a recent post about Delancey from someone posting on the Berkeley Parents' Network:

Between my spouse and I, moving offices and homes, we have probably done a dozen moves with Delancey Street in the last 10 years, and the experience has always been terrific. They are incredibly honest, very reasonable and FAST. They never exceed their estimate (it's guaranteed), and usually come under the estimate by quite a bit. They will pack your stuff, and they are faster than you can imagine.

My last move was from a three story live-work space, and they had me packed in 2 1/2 hours! I couldn't believe it. Takes so much of the pain out of moving. Their system is set up so that there are double checks of all kinds, and they take turns being in charge of a job, so chances are most of your movers are also supervisors. Because they are a rehab organization, they will not move liquor, but unless you have quite a hobby, packing your own box of that stuff is no problem. As I recall, they are not allowed to take tips, either, so on big jobs we have gone to a local deli and gotten great sandwiches and sodas for them

Actually, they ARE allowed to take tips (I asked a supervisor), but he said he thinks customers may get a receipt enabling them to take a tax writeoff for the tips--he wasn't sure.

Diane

Re: Delancey Street Movers--heard they are great!

Postby Diane » Sun May 15, 2005 11:19 am

Sad to say, "jkchelse" who is quoted above has just posted a bad report on (I think) the NY branch of Delancey Street - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237 This is the first review we have that is definitely linked with that branch. It says that after almost a dozen good moves, "jkchelse" had several bad experiences recently, possibly related to a turnover of personnel in NY.

In view of this report, I think it would be best for people to stick with the SF and LA branches of Delancey Street Movers for now. Many Delancey moves from the East Coast to the West Coast are return trips by trucks based in SF and LA anyway.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 20, 2005 11:17 am

Re-posting comments on the Los Angeles branch of Delancey Street posted by "allan" on 5/19/05 -
allan wrote:Here's my experience with delancy street locally. We sold our house in Beverly Hills and moved temporarily into a duplex. (We are moving to Atlanta this summer). Dealancy street was recommended by my RE broker. They came out a couple of weeks before and gave me an estimate. On the day of the move there were 3 movers. The boss who was a terrific guy was named Sammy. The were extremely courteous and careful with our stuff. Some stuff was wrapped not only in blankets but in shrink wrap to protect it. Nothing was damaged. They were on time and they came in at under the estimate. I tipped them $100 and was very satisfied. I highly recommend them here in the Los Angeles area. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4368

This is the 9th positive review of the company. Delancey is now tied with both All Star Moving in Brooklyn and University Van Lines in Rahway, NJ, for number of positive reviews on this website.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:07 pm

Re-posting a recent post about Delancey in the Berkeley Parents' Newsletter:

We used Delancey Street Movers for two moves in the past six months. Both teams were extremely efficient, polite, and professional. One team literally ran in and out of our house as they loaded the truck, saying they saw it as their daily workout. They loaded our 1300 sq ft house in under an hour! The price was very reasonable and they DO accept tips (to amend a previous posting by someone who said they don't). The only difference is that they send you a letter listing the tip amount as a donation to their foundation.
Happily Moved (twice
)

Also, I got the following message from Jayson Berger, a higher-up at Moovers, Inc. and a former participant in the Delancey Street program, regarding the NY branch complained about by "jkchelse":

In regards to the Delancey Street Movers in New York I have found out that the guy who was in charge of the moving company durring the time of the complaint has been replaced by Jason Young who I told you about. I am sure that they are doing everything to Delancey standards once again and there shouldn't be any complaints.

So, although I think a bit of caution is still in order regarding Delancey-NY, it sounds as if the company is aware of the situation and has tried to correct it by bringing in a new person (Jason Young).
Last edited by Diane on Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:32 pm

Re-posting three recent favorable postings about Delancey on this website, to keep everything together -
divina7 wrote:4/3/05 - Delancey!!! I have used them and they are great. Very professional and my in-town (SF) move ended up being less money and less time than estimated. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3839
stevan wrote:6/24/05 - I used Delancey Street 3 times when I lived in San Francisco and they were professional and competitevely priced. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4938
yiwca wrote:6/25/05 - I just want to share my moving experience from San Diego, CA to Redwood City, CA recently with Delancey Street Movers.

My appointment was at 10:30 am on Wednesday (May 25), but the movers arrived at 11. This was not a problem, though, because at 10 am the office called to inform me that the movers were going to be 30 minutes late due to traffic on the freeway. My stuff weighed slightly less than 2000 pounds, which is their minimum, and it cost me $907, which was right within their range of $800-$1000 for the minimum weight (they couldn't do in-home estimate since I was from San Diego).

When I first called, they said that delivery would take 5 to 7 days, but my delivery day was actually Saturday (May 28). Amazingly, the San Francisco office called me on Friday evening saying that my stuff had arrived, so that was only two days. I arranged for delivery on Saturday at 9 am. They arrived right on time and delivered my stuff, all safe and accounted for.

Overall, I had a smooth moving experience and I wouldn't hesitate recommending Delancey to anyone.
- http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4952

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:14 am

Re-posting a favorable report by someone who used two workers from Delancey Street-LA just to load a Broadway Express truck for a cross-country move:
mnemonides wrote:7/23/05 - We hired two guys from Delancey Street to come, and then two guys that work around the neighborhood doing odd jobs, at less than half the Delancey Street rate [$20/hr with a minimum of 2 guys for 2 hours]. We had a lot to move, so it seemed like a good idea, and it worked really well. The Delancey Street guys were VERY fast and conscientious, and packed everything very well--I don't think I could have gotten half our stuff in, but we ended up three feet shorter in the truck than we had originally thought. That alone saved us more than the cost of paying the guys. . . . all in all [I would rate] Broadway Express 10, Delancey Street 10++. - www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4942

This is an idea to consider, although another person posted that Delancey isn't always able to supply workers unless it is also doing the actual move.

Return to “Open Community”