MA to CT move w/storage

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

MA to CT move w/storage

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:44 pm

We are moving our family from Arlington, MA to the Hartford, CT area. Our move is complicated by the fact that we need to place our stuff in storage for a period of time (probably about 3 months) before taking delivery in CT. Every single moving company I've spoken with has given us a different story about how we should go about this. Here are my questions:

1. Should we use the same company for the move and storage? If so, should we go with a CT company that will travel to MA to get our stuff and then bring it to their CT storage facility, or should we go with a Boston area mover that will store it here and then deliver it to us in CT?

2. I have been told by Amodio Moving and Storage in CT that "there is no price competition" between interstate movers, and that everyone should be charging the same per pound. Is this true?

3. I have also been told that there is "no such thing as a binding interstate estimate" because ALL interstate moves are done purely on weight. True or false?

4. I have and/or am receiving estimates from the following movers - any feedback?

-Viking - Atlas agent out of Brighton
-Olympic Moving & Storage - Wheaton agent out of Watertown
-Tobin & Sons Moving & Storage - Bekins agent out of Peabody
-Paul W. Taylor - United agent out of Wakefield
-possibly Amodio Moving & Storage in CT - had a very positive conversation with Gary and he told me he'd refer my request for an estimate to a local person they employ here. It took 48 hours for him to get back to me and was extremely condescending and kind of rude. He told me to call back if I wasn't happy with any of my other estimates and couldn't seem to understand why I'd even consider getting more than one estimate (he was the one who told me there's no price competition on interstate moves.) My interaction with Gary was so positive, however, that I am reluctant to completely rule them out. They are a Mayflower agent.

I have an estimate from Olympic that is hourly. I have also been told by Viking that their truck would not be weighed. Tobin & Sons At this point my head is spinning. We need to move at the end of the month, and I am going to have a c section next week, so this is a decision I need to make fairly soon - any help or feedback is appreciated!!

Bos2CT

Re: MA to CT move w/storage

Postby Bos2CT » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:47 pm

I'm sorry, I just realized that I didn't log in before I posted this message so I appear as a "guest" - oops!
Last edited by Bos2CT on Mon May 07, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:58 pm

I think that if you need to have three months of storage it will probably be cheaper to move it into storage facility rather than pay the moving company for storage space. I'll let the moving reps answer that more definitively.

As far as no competition in the interstate markets?!? The moving industry is one of the most competitive industries around. That comment doesn't even make sense. The same goes with the rediculous comment that there is no such thing as a binding estimate. You should definitely be requesting binding estimates, or better yet Binding Not to Exceed (AKA Guaranteed Not to Exceed, or Total Price Guarantee depending on the company). For more information on estimates you may want to read Tyrone's article titled "Understanding Estimates".

I'd say that your choices of moving companies look good over-all but I would definitely drop Amodio from the list since they obviously aren't telling you the straight story about your move.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:20 pm

I agree with what Tim has said. Also, you should look at this thread on Amodio, which is a Mayflower agent - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1333

If you want to get an estimate from a United agent, Humboldt has been highly praised on this board.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:54 am

Bos2CT,

First lets answer some questions that the sells reps seemed to mislead you on, then I will make a suggestion on storage.

I have been told by Amodio Moving and Storage in CT that "there is no price competition" between interstate movers, and that everyone should be charging the same per pound. Is this true?

:arrow: INTERSTATE moves are extremely competitive, so in that regard he has no clus as to what he is speaking of. And the same per pound, well if they are using the same tariff and estimate the same weight and give you the same discount, then yes!! But we know every company doesnt do that.

I have also been told that there is "no such thing as a binding interstate estimate" because ALL interstate moves are done purely on weight. True or false?

:arrow: true in the case of shipments going into SIT (storage in transit) or perm storage. Not true in moves going house to house, or A to B. And yes all interstate moves are done by weight. But not charged by a $$$/pound or cubic ft.

Now let me take out some verbal abuse on you for even considering a company that you felt the sales person was rude and condescending. My god, stop right there, cross his name off the list and move on.

If I were you I would select the company at origin to store my goods, because generally the origin agent can give you a better dealk then taking it to the destination agents warehouse.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:15 pm

I guess we are whittling down your choices. Here is something just posted reporting a bad experience with Bekins - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20277
The person used Tobin as his origin agent.

Bos2CT

Postby Bos2CT » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:47 pm

Thank you all so much for the advice. After a lot of consideration over the past 24 hours, my husband and I think we're just going to move ourselves. We've gotten 3-4 estimates and they've all been in the $4500-5000 range for the move into storage, storage, and the move out. We're lucky that we have family that will house our belongings temporarily, and I figure that if something gets damaged because we've handled it wrong, we'll have A LOT more $$ in our pockets to replace it!! I think that if we book a uhaul and pay a cousin to help + the cost of moving supplies, we can do the whole move for under $1000 - it might be hell, but it will be over before we know it and I won't have a pit in the bottom of my stomach the entire time.

Again, thank you. This site and message boards have made a WORLD of difference!!

Leeann

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:51 pm

Leeann,

I think you've made a wise decision. Anything involving storage is usually very expensive, and the move is actually very short in terms of mileage. My only suggestion would be to use Penske rather than U-Haul. Substantial discounts are available, and Penske has very good reviews. See the sticky on rental van companies at the top of the messageboard.

Bos2CT

Postby Bos2CT » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:39 pm

Thanks for that tip. When I investigated going with Penske, the rate was $150 more than uhaul for a truck that's a foot shorter. Is there something I should know about getting a better rate? If there's insider info on this, please let me know :)

Leeann

blue

Postby blue » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:46 pm

If you book with Penske online, you should receive 10% off the base rental price. Also, if you're a AAA member, you're eligible for another 12% off one way rentals, 10% local. Even with $150 difference, you should easily make that up (and more) just in the quality of truck you'll be getting from Penske. Compare U-haul and Penske at epinions.com. That may help.
Last edited by blue on Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:46 pm

Did you ask for the discounts (AAA, MovingOrbit, Internet, etc.) mentioned on the sticky? Also, I talked with a Penske rep at length recently and I was impressed that they want to make sales and might be willing to match a quote from another company. It's worth calling them to ask.

Bos2CT

Postby Bos2CT » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:50 pm

OK, I called Penske and told them what Uhaul was offering. They couldn't match the price, but they did knock $75 off it, so now the price difference is $75. I booked Penske in spite of the difference based on the negative reviews of Uhaul on this site and the fact that someone in the national sales office told me I should "just relax" and "not worry" about the fact that they couldn't GUARANTEE that a truck would be available the morning of my move. I told the national sales agent that in light of the fact that I was having a baby a week from today and needed to square away the move NOW, I would NOT "relax."

With Penske I at least have a guarantee that the truck will be there for me.

Budget's price also beats Penske - the Budget reviews seem a bit more mixed. Do you think I should consider them?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:38 pm

Tim used Budget and was pleased, but will they guarantee you a truck? In my mind, it would take a lot to outweigh the stellar reviews that Penske has.

Postby 23 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:13 pm

Am I lost here? Why is someone trying to get Penske to charge what U-Haul is charging???

U-Haul has crap, you get what you pay for. Penske has very modern equipment. Sorry about the blurt but you can't expect to buy steak for the price of a hot dog!

Good luck!

Return to “Open Community”