Some comments on Ship Smart

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
very disappointed

Some comments on Ship Smart

Postby very disappointed » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:25 am

Hi all,

After doing very thorough research on moving companies for my small California to Ann Arbor move, I decided on Shipsmart because of their efficiency, professionalism, and customer service. However, they have not met up to these expectations .
I was called by Shipsmart on Friday, August 20th and told that my shipment would go out that day and arrive in 5-7 business days. When it hadn't arrived by Thursday, September 2nd, I called Shipsmart to see where my shipment was, and, after being put on hold, was told that my shipment was "going on the truck tomorrow" [September 3rd] -- 2 full weeks after their initial call promising shipment that day.
I asked to speak to the manager who had "gone home for the day," but was assured by Amee that he would call me the next day (Friday 9/3). I did not hear from him, so I called toward the end of the day on Friday and was told by Jessica that she didn't know why the manager hadn't called me and that "everyone had gone home for the three day weekend," so I couldn't talk to anyone until Tuesday. Jessica assured me that she herself would get the manager to call me first thing Tuesday morning. I called AGAIN Tuesday evening ( afternoon CA time), requested to speak with the manager and was put on hold for 10 minutes. I hung up, called back, spoke with Amee, and was finally transferred through to Shipsmart's owner, John.

John said that mysteriously-- and this is a "very rare occurence"-- the bill of lading for my shipment never made it through from thei office to the shipping warehouse. So the warehouse assumed a problem with the payment and did not put my shipment on the truck. Only when *I* called, a full 2 weeks later, was this problem recognized and remedied.

While John was courteous and apologetic, he seemed to assume little responsiblity for Shipsmart's error, chalking it up to "one of those things."

Meanwhile I have no furniture (and won't for at LEAST another week), and the only monetary compensation John was willing to offer was $75 as a "gesture" (out of a $1250 shipment), citing the "small profit margin" of the company. While I don't expect a full refund, it seems Shipsmart would recognize the value of satisfying a wronged customer as worth more than $75, especially considering how a story like mine when posted on a forum as wide as the internet can certainly affect their overall reputation and dissuade any would-be customers.

I would not recommend this company.

Re: Shipsmart a real let-down

Postby 23 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:07 am

Isn't Shipsmart just a broker or do they own a few trucks?

Very Disappointed

Postby Very Disappointed » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:36 pm

Yes, they are just a broker; it wasn't correct for me to refer to them as a "moving company." But shouldn't they still be held responsible to their customer for miscommunication between themselves and the trucking company they enlist?

Postby 23 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:39 pm

They definitely should be responsible for you.

Too many times you see the buck being passed. Sorry bout your situation, glad you can warn others from using this company.

Diane

Re: Ship Smart a real let-down

Postby Diane » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:00 pm

I'm not so sure I believe what John told you. I think it could be on the order of the old "the truck broke down" excuse. The search function is down so I can't research this properly, but I think I remember "blue" saying that with these brokers who use freight companies for small shipments, long delays in delivery are often a major problem. The company waits until it has X number of goods to ship from its various hubs.

I realize that I may have made you feel worse, and I'm sorry about that. A person posting as "Robert" did have a good experience with Ship Smart. Others couldn't even get them to call back with a quote. Their performance seems quite spotty. Although I would not call this type of thing a "scam" but simply poor service, if the president of the company is lying to customers, that is not a company that I would be comfortable using.

I'm changing the title of this topic to make the name of the company two words so it will be picked up better by search engines.

Are you the one who was shipping a pinball machine, by the way?
Last edited by Diane on Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:17 pm

Sorry about the customer service issues with ShipSmart. Were they professional (at least) at your pick up?

The lost paperwork could be an excuse to just cover up the sheer volume of moves at the end of August. It is really hard to any mover to meet delivery dates this summer. I also do not think that any "small move" mover has their own network of trucks. They all use brokers.

very disappointed

Postby very disappointed » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:02 pm

Diane,

You're right in saying this is not a "scam" -- I posted my message in the wrong forum. And thanks for your feedback, and changing the subject heading to two words.

and no, I did not ship the pinball machine! :)

Lucky

Postby Lucky » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:13 am

Well, the incompetence outline above is exactly what I experienced with Ship Smart last summer. They were contracted to move my stuff from Seattle, WA to Chapel Hill, NC. They upped the estimate 50% after loading my meager belongings and then. . . neglected to ship them. When I arrived in Chapel Hill they said there was a paperwork problem-- although my goods were listed as "shipped," paperwork had been proccessed incorrectly. They offered $100 off for the inconvenience.

The goods finally arrived, over two weeks late, and-- lucky me-- Ship Smart never answered my Amex dispute in the time allotted by law. My account was debited. Now 6 months later Ship Smart is pestering me for payment, although now they ae rather desperate, citing North Carolina statutes and Cal. penal codes (a lawyr has informed me that they do not apply). They can't get any money cause I cancelled my card. I am negotiating to give them something, but feel a serious discount is in order, especially seeing that the exact same thing happened to the first person in this thread.

Lucky

Postby Lucky » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:17 am

PS: I might add that the description of my experience, from treatment on the phone to the vocabulary of the reasons for the "unfortunate occurrance" were identical to those of the first person on this thread. Ship Smart is not scamming, but they are not "Smart" either.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:32 pm

My daughter is in the middle of a move with Ship Smart. As with the above posters, there has been a certain amount of miscommunication about pickup time, unexpected raising of the price estimate, and belated widening of the delivery spread. I asked her to book incognito without asking for special favors to let us assess the company's performance fairly. We'll see.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:29 pm

This is the report from my daughter as of June 15, 2005.

If I had known what they were going to do, I could have saved almost $300 by using ABF. At every step along the way they were difficult.

First, when I placed the order on June 1st I told Jessica that I was leaving town soon and could my things be picked up the same day I placed the order or the next day. She told me yes. She also told me that my next communication would be from the actual mover. Two days later on June 3rd, when I hadn't heard anything, I called ShipSmart in a panic because I was about to leave town on June 4th and we had to get them the key somehow to unlock the storage unit where my things were.

Somebody else (Andrea or Angela) told me that she didn't understand why Jessica had told me that, because I was actually scheduled for pickup the next WEEK, on June 7th. And she was like, you know, I'll put you in touch with the actual mover. But I didn't hear anything back. So I called ShipSmart a second time on June 3rd and was put in touch with a third person (Tiffany, I think), maybe the best one, who again said she would put me in touch with the actual mover. I asked for the first two people, but they were "out of the office" again as they had been before.

Anyway, then the third person (Tiffany) put me in touch with the actual mover (Arturo), who was nice, but told me, "Look, I just got your paperwork so don't blame me," but then when I told him the story he said, "OK, I'll try to squeeze it in as an immediate pickup." So bottom line, I put in the order on June 1st, was told it would be picked up on June 2nd at the latest, but found out later that it was actually scheduled for pickup on June 7th, and it was picked up on June 3rd only after I called in a panic saying that I was leaving town on June 4th.

So they picked the stuff up on June 3rd.

Also, when I originally placed the order on June 1st they told me a total transit time of two weeks or at most three weeks. But what they didn't mention was the 7-10 BUSINESS days that they hold the stuff in the warehouse before (or while) they actually weigh it and package it for shipment. I was never offered an expedited or express shipment. The alternatives I was offered were having it delivered to my home or delivered to my home and unpacked.

When they called me on Monday June 13th they told me that the order was going to be shipped out that day or the next day with a price of more than $1100 when I had been quoted $780 by Jessica. They also said it was going to arrive in 5 to 7 days. Today (June 15th) I called and they told me it was actually shipped out on the 14th. It could still arrive within 3 weeks of June 1st if it arrives by June 21st, so they would be living up to that part of what they promised.

But one thing that bothers me about ShipSmart is that everyone told me and is telling me something different. There doesn't seem to be any communication among the people within the ShipSmart office.

Jessica originally quoted me around $780 for 670 pounds based on what I told her I had. When I said, "What if the pounds go up to 800," she said in that case, the cost would be around $850 because the cost per pound would go down. Well, when they called me on June 13th they said that the actual poundage was 970 and the price was somehow more than $1100. I was never told by Jessica that packaging, etc. could add to the weight.

ABF had quoted me $850 for a mobile storage container and I chose ShipSmart because they would pick it up from the storage facility and deliver it to my home, unlike ABF.

My #1 criticism is that they created a huge nightmare by telling me that the shipment was going to be picked up 1-2 days after I placed the order on June 1st, but then I found out that it wasn't scheduled to be picked up until the 7th. The price difference (more than $1100 vs. $780 quoted by Jessica) was also kind of shocking.

What I think would be most productive would be if ShipSmart would regard this not as an attack but as a "market research" effort from which they could learn something. I personally have no intention of blaming anyone for this situation without investigating it more. The customer (my daughter) is seeing certain weaknesses in the ShipSmart operation. Why did she see it this way and can it be corrected?

I guess one key question is why the ShipSmart employees don't seem to be using a computerized system that allows each sales rep to see what has been said previously to each customer. I know that the airlines have such a system, for example.

A second question is how the weight got to be so much more than the estimate--in her case, almost a 50% increase. Does ShipSmart charge for the weight of the pallet and other packaging, for example? How could the customer be better prepared for such a large weight increase and related increase in cost?

A third question--is it worth it to pay around $1150 to ShipSmart for basically home-to-home service vs. $850 to ABF for terminal-to-terminal service? This is something that each individual would have to answer for himself. Personally, I would say, "yes." But what seems to be bothering my daughter is that she wasn't allowed to make that choice. She was led to believe that ShipSmart would charge her less than the $850 quoted by ABF. It's the lack of CERTAINTY and PREDICTABILITY with regard to cost and scheduling that seems to be bothering her, just as it bothers many other people moving today, whatever companies they use. I think that's one reason why the freight companies like ABF and BE have become so popular--pricing is transparent and the quoted cost never increases.

camos

Postby camos » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:19 pm

Oh boy. I have things "enroute" with ShipSmart right now and have noticed the same problems. Never get a straight answer when we call to find out where the shipment is: "I have to contact operations, can I call back?" and have had a couple bad communications.

Our shipment was picked up on May 18th to go to Germany. We were told it would depart 7 - 10 days after they picked it up. On June 15th were told it would be on the plane on Friday the 17th and in Munich on Monday. Called yesterday, Monday the 20th, and were told it's "en route".

Does anyone know where ShipSmart is located? Or how to contact any of the executives?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:27 pm

This is the address of the company (from my daughter's paperwork):

Ship Smart
783 Rio Del Mar Blvd., Suite 9
Aptos, CA 95003

I will be posting an update shortly. Briefly, she got her things in good shape on June 19th. They were delivered by an ABF truck (irony!!). More details later.

camos,

On your shipment to Germany, I don't think a delay such as yours is unusual. There is a moving professional posting here as "hardatwork" who knows a LOT about international shipments. You might want to sign up for membership and send him a PM.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:22 pm

Sorry to hear about your delays with Ship Smart.

Once your are able to contact them again please be sure that they give you the following information so you can trace your shipment.

1. The aiwbay bill of lading number. This is your tracking number for you can verify that your shipment is "enroute" to you. They should give you both the Master Airway Bill and the House Airway. If your shipment is part of a consolidation service, which is only reason there should be any delays in getting your shipment to you, then the Mater Bill of Lading is the Bill of Lading that covers all the shipments being move with yours. Then the House Airway Bill is the one that only contents the information about your shipment. Very important that you have both numbers from them

2. Airlines they used along with the flight details of the shipment.

3. Very Important You must have the contact information for the agent in Germany that is handling the consoildation. The shipment will have to be sent to an agent that handles the paperwork when the shipment arrives in Germany. You need their name, phone numbers, address, and it possible an email address. Once you have this you may be able to trace your shipment with this local agent. Also you may want to contact the local agent in advance of your shipments arrival so you can find out about customs clearance documentation needed and how to claim your shipment.

If you need additional information I would be happy to assist in any way possible.

panic

Postby panic » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:26 am

Hi,
I'm planning to move from the bay area, California to Vancouver. I only have about 30 boxes, most of which are books and papers. Usual movers don't seem to like to move such small amount off stuff. After searching for movers for a while my only choice seems to be Ship Smart. The person, named Jim, whom I talked to on the phone seems pretty nice. But after seeing the discussions above, I start to worry about what may happen to my stuff if I use Ship Smart. Does anyone have any other comments on Ship Smart? Does anyone know any other companies which provide similar services (pick-up, storage, and inside delivery)? Thank you very much!!

a guy who never moved before....

Return to “Report A Scam”