Upack Mobile Container, Labor Ready, and Auto Transport

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
sambhasin161877

Upack Mobile Container, Labor Ready, and Auto Transport

Postby sambhasin161877 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:59 pm

I would like to say thank you to Diane for all the postings on this discussion board, they helped me a lot in my recent move. I would like to share my experiences here to help others in the future. My girlfriend and I moved from Boston to Phoenix and decided to go with the ABF Upack Mobile container. There has not been much on discussion boards about this so I hope this helps some people.

The container we had seemed brand new, so I assume they don't do these often. When we went to fill it up we thought it was too small, but it fit all of our stuff, which was probably equivalent to a 1br apt. We did not put anything too big in like mattresses or couches. Almost all of our furniture came apart, which made it fit much easier. If you have lots of ikea furniture this option is good because they have lots of space on the sides where the 2x4s stick out, but big enough for furniture pieces.

The container was the cheapest method we could find for such a long haul and it actually came a day earlier then expected. Overall it only took 5 business days, which was much better then any company.

One word of advice if you do use this make sure everything is tightly packed inside or that everything inside boxes etc are tightly wrapped. There seemed to be a lot of movement of things, but luckily nothing broke.

When we got to Phoenix we knew it would be hot and with our apt being on the 3rd floor (and steps being outside) we knew we would kill ourselves if we did all the moving. I rented a budget truck, loaded it up, and had people from Labor Ready come the next day and unload the truck. They were good, quick, cheap labor. We tipped them well for their efforts, but it was a very good deal and one can get them soemtimes 24 hours in advance.

Lastly, I had my car shipped out here as we drove my girlfriend's car. I found a company called Autolog, who was about $200 cheaper then any other company. They said my car would take 10-18 biz days to get here. I got a call from them today stating that it would be a few days late, which I didn't like, but at least they did call me. Hopefully the car will be here by sometime next week and everything will finish off like it started!! Thanks again Diane!

Diane

Re: Upack Mobile Container, Labor Ready, and Auto Transport

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:32 am

Thank YOU, guest, for taking the time to describe your move with ABF and Labor Ready. I'm sure that this will help many other people.

I have a couple of questions and comments.

Questions: how much did you pay for the ABF shipment? How much did you pay Labor Ready? I would like to include these details when I post your review in the ABF review thread.

Comments: The mobile container seemed new because this is a very new service that ABF is offering--I think they started it only about 6 months ago. Also, you were really lucky to get the equivalent of a 1BR apartment into the container, since it's only 7 feet by 8 feet by 5 feet, and those are EXTERIOR measurements. I notice, though, that you didn't try to ship a mattress or large furniture, and that you disassembled a lot of the furniture.

For anyone who may be considering this option, it would probably be a good idea to go to the terminal in advance to make sure that the container is large enough for what you have to ship. One person who posted here, "mattinla" (ABF review #7), thought he was going to be able to use the container but when he got to the terminal, he had to shift to a regular trailer because all of his stuff wouldn't fit. And because he was coming in at the last minute, the only trailer available was sort of ratty, although his stuff made it through just fine.

These are some pictures from the ABF website of what the container looks like, so people can see what you mean when you talk about 2 x 4s sticking into the container:

Image Image
http://www.upack.com/equipment/container.asp

One advantage that I see with these mobile containers vs. the regular trailers is that you can count on them being rainproof and you can lock them with a padlock. However, I assume they will be hoisted around with a forklift and that could involve some tilting and shifting of the contents.

I'm really glad that Labor Ready worked out OK in Phoenix. So far, so good with that company. And it's good to know that you got them to come with only 24 hours' notice.

It would be great if you could let us know what happens with Autolog and your car, and include some details (cost, license number/contact info for the company, etc.). I'll be hoping for the best!

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:06 pm

Diane, The ABF move cost us $1640 and labor ready was $15/hr per person and you needed a minimum of 4hrs. We got 2 people and they finished the job in about 2-2.5 hours and took a few breaks because of the weather. Also, I wanted to mention in thanks I did donate some money and I wanted to encourage others to do the same because this website saved me a lot of money and hastle. I will let you know when the car arrives. Thanks!

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:30 am

Sam - I saw where you just posted about your experience on Epinions. Thanks for doing that. I saw where people want to know more about how the whole container thing works and I'll add a comment to your review explaining it. It's sort of hard to visualize without a photo and I think that's why the Epinions reviewers are having trouble understanding what you're talking about. Unfortunately, you can't post photos on Epinions, nor can you link to sites other than Epinions.

My additional comment on your review is at http://www.epinions.com/content_1554811 ... ow_~allcom

Return to “Open Community”