TIPPING

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
mspam

TIPPING

Postby mspam » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:58 pm

Does anyone have any guidelines on tipping on a full service move?

In process of moving from Chicago area to Tampa area (assuming all goes well). Bill will be about $4,000.

Any advice?
Pam
Do for others what you want them to do for you. (Matthew 7:12)

blue

Re: TIPPING

Postby blue » Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:11 pm

Tips are not required. Tip only if you are so inclined and only for work that was good to excellent. A simple guideline would be $3.00 to $5.00 per hour per man. For example, if you had a job requiring 3 men 5 hours to load and 5 hours to unload, a generous tip would be $90.00 to $150.00, total. But completely at your discretion. Good drivers and their crews appreciate tips, but should never insinuate they are expecting one. Those that do are the ones to keep an eye on.

IMP

Postby IMP » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:04 pm

That is probably the best advice I've seen on this board on the frequently asked tipping question. Those in power here should cut & paste that one when it is asked in the future.

mspam

Postby mspam » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:18 pm

Thanks for the info on tipping.

The subject of credit card vs. certified check came up also and they informed me (complained?) that drivers are charged a portion of the credit card fee when a customer chooses credit. I'd say that it doesn't sound fair to charge the driver when it's the company that sets that policy. No?
Pam

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:31 pm

What company is this that you are talking about, Pam?

Also, out of curiosity, what was so horrible about the Effingham Ramada?

mspam

Postby mspam » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:41 pm

United Van Lines.

Ramada Effingham was not clean enough for my (and most I suspect) standards. I can stay just about anywhere as long as the place is clean.
But dirt in corners and old (someone else's) hair in bathtub is major turnoff for me. (disgusting)
Pam

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:44 pm

Which agent of United was it, can you tell us? Because I know that Armstrong-United in Chicago is supposed to be very good.

Postby 23 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:58 pm

The subject of credit card vs. certified check came up also and they informed me (complained?) that drivers are charged a portion of the credit card fee when a customer chooses credit. I'd say that it doesn't sound fair to charge the driver when it's the company that sets that policy. No?

The CC fees are charged back all around the company. I am a sales rep and I get a percentage of the fee taken off the top of my booking commission as well as the driver. It really isn't a big deal. If you want to pay by CC, pay by CC. It's one of those costs of doing business.

(Side note, some agents will give a higher discount for paying by cash, and a little lower discount if paying by CC to offset the fees. Then guess who is paying 100% of the CC fees, haha, you! Don't feel bad the driver will be paying some of it.)

mspam

Postby mspam » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:29 am

The agent is Adco Van & Storage of Barrington IL. My friends used them on a move from Chicago to Tampa and were very happy with them.

I'll make a full report on this move when complete.

They are scheduled to deliver on Wednesday. The van is in Tampa now and they have 2 loads to deliver before mine. United has a tracking system so you can see where the van is at all times.
Pam

Return to “Open Community”