MOVING TO KARLSRUHE, GERMANY

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
HELENAKNEU

MOVING TO KARLSRUHE, GERMANY

Postby HELENAKNEU » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:57 pm

Halo everyone,

thanks for having this site....
My husband and I are moving to karlsruhe in Germany, and I am haivng a hard time finding a good international moving company. I have checked your black list, and eliminated many of the firms I got through an online search. I also checked this site... and found the post of the person moving to the Balkans.
I find the experience of finding a mover very frustrating. Just when I think I am done, something happens. I have hear that most companies in florida are bad, is that true? Also, is it really important to have a binding estimate? some companies I have checked with the BBB only show that htey have a satisfactory record with the BBB, what does that mean?
I would appreciate any help on this, as I have 3 weeks to move and am panicking!

Diane

Re: MOVING TO KARLSRUHE, GERMANY

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:17 pm

Hello,

First, you might want to read the article on international moving by Michael Zlotnik on the "Links" page of this website.

We don't actually have that much information about specific companies because this site focuses on moves within the United States. However, five companies that have been mentioned favorably by professional movers posting here are

Stevens International in Seattle (no website; phone 206-282-9840)
Crown Worldwide, a United company, at www.crownworldwide.com
Gateways International at www.gatewaysinternational.com
Rainier Overseas Movers at www.rainieros.com
Champion International Moving at www.champmove.com

I stress that I have no personal experience with any of these companies and am a consumer, not a mover.

You can see people's comments on these companies if you do a search on this website. People talk about their general reputation, but as I recall, so far no one has used them (except for Champion) and come back to report to us. As a general comment, moving internationally with reputable companies is very expensive and beset by delays, and in some cases people have decided to just mail some boxes to themselves and buy new furniture overseas rather than trying to use a moving company to ship large items.

You might want to start by calling Champion and discussing your general situation with them, since someone moving to the U.K. posted that they were helpful - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2408

Yes, I think it is fair to say that most companies located in Florida are bad or questionable. Do not rely on BBB listings to make your decision. Companies can be listed as having a "satisfactory" status and still be undesirable. Instead, talk to one or more of the five companies listed above.

A warning: Don't use any company that has ANY complaints on the Internet (where there's smoke there's fire) and don't use any "new" company. Two companies that we know are bad are Worldwide Relocations and Globe Movers, Inc. International moving is a real minefield. Don't take chances.

HELENKANEU

Postby HELENKANEU » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:07 pm

Diane, I read this post already, and did the research on this page...

There are a few companies that did not come up and I hope someone here can give me some Info on them?

Based on this site I have ruled out UPakWeShip and Infinity moving and storage.

After a week of calling and searching on line I am left with:
Atlas van Lines International - I spoke with Mark, who seemed nice on the phone, said he would get me an estimate, and that we would set a time for and in house survey. he said he will let me now today, but so far did not. That may be because I needed info on storage in germany and with the time difference that might have taken longer.
Meyers International Van lines (agent of mayflower?)-played 4 day phone tag with their rep steve, who was really nice and kept calling me. they should be from Missouri, and I am still waiting for a quote.
Planet cargo - let many messages with Sheila, who did not call back until I reached her colleague samuel. their quote is high, but they offer free storage in the USA whixch I might need. they charge $15per cu ft, including all packing. but there are insurance fees on top of the cost and a documentation fee totaling $150. That seems high. What do you think?
United van Lines still waiting to hear from them....
Uniworld cargo shipping lines, spoke to helen, who gave me a lot of helpful hints, warning me against florida companies. their quote i got within 2 hours, and says they guerantee to beat any proposal I get from someone else, and nothing about a binding quote. They require prepayment in full. FMC lic. # 17952N
Shamrock moving and storage have been in business since 1977! still waiting for a quote.
Capital van and storage agent of Bekins - so far it is taking them 48 hours to get back to me.
Marlog Cargo USA has 150 cu ft minimium, which I dont think I will fill. They have a FMC license and charge average of $12 per cu ft.
I have also called Gentle Giant, Champmove and Gemini which have been positively reviewed here.
I also wander what kind of control do I have with weighing and measuring everything, what is the standard? How do I know that the boxed are put on a crate utilizing the space, not in such way that it takes up the most space? how do I keep control?
I really appreciate the help...
HELENA N. LORENZ

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:02 am

I would rule out Planet Cargo if it's the company located in the Chicago area (discussed before on this board).

I think you are going to have trouble getting detailed information on your list because the moving professionals posting here are very busy with their day jobs. I would recommend that you choose one company on the list that you feel comfortable with and talk at length with that one company. I don't think you will go too far wrong if you deal with agents affiliated with major van lines. If you have to eliminate some, I would eliminate companies associated with Bekins and Mayflower. Just keep in mind that moving internationally is tremendously expensive and few people can afford to do it unless an employer or sponsoring organization is paying for it. Champion has performed well for at least one person.

weem

Postby weem » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:44 am

Get in home estimates from Allied< North American and United as well as Atlas---make sure they come to your home and provide you with WRITTEN ESTIMATES.. These companies will probably quote based on weight and not cu. feet. Tho reputable they will usually NOT give binding estimates on an international move, but they will provide a weight per hundred pounds.. Make sure that their estimates contain the words "DOOR TO DOOR". Also get quotes on insurance as well. In the meantime consider sending the boxes to yourself via UPS and keeping your furniture in storage stateside if that is a viable option. You can estimate box weight at 35 pounds per box.
These are the big boys and not just forwarders. Also discuss insurance at length.

HELENKANEU

Postby HELENKANEU » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:18 pm

tHANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE GUYS!
I read the zlotnik article, and based on that I guess it is hard to do an international move based on lb. Unfortunately, I will be moving about 1000+lbs, and UPS/FedEx etc charge over $50 per pound... That I don't have. We will be paying for our move ourselves, and are staying there indefinitely. So far we are at around $2400 plus about 3% insurance. most of the companies will do a written quote, but very few will do a binding estimate. One that will do it upon an in house survey is Walkerly Moving in North Ridgeville Ohio. I don't have their exact numbers, and thou their rep did not want to talk to me at lenghth untill he has these numbers, so far so good. the are affiliated with United Van Lines, which seems OK.
I still have a question: How do I control the weight and cuft numbers are correct???
I will update this thread, and let you all know how I am progressing.
Thanks again for the advice.
HELENA N. LORENZ

WEEM

Postby WEEM » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:36 pm

In the industry weight and cu. feet are basically interchangable-----7 pounds per cu. foot domestic and 6 to 6.5 pounds international. The preparing company(sells the move, packs and prepairs the shipment etc) and the delivering company are usually paid by weight but the ocean freight (where most of the money really goes) is paid by space or cbic foot.
A standard overseas container is about 1800 cu feet so you can expect about 1100 pounds max.
The best advice I can give is to get your info on the net but pull out the yellow pages and deal with local agents for the majors -----I never gave a binding estimate on an international and don't know of any reputable company that did. Also full replacement insurance should cost at least $25 per thousand $ of declared value.To estimate minimum replacement value multiply the estimated weight by $5.00 per pound----minimum.

HELENKANEU

Postby HELENKANEU » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:42 pm

THANKS... DO YOU KNOW WALKERLY MOVING/UNITED VAN LINES?
HELENA N. LORENZ

weem

Postby weem » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:57 pm

Unfortunately I do not recognize any of the agents in this post.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:48 am

Helen,

If you find a company willing to give you a binding or a not to exceed on an international move, I would RUN!!

It just doesnt happen. There are way to many factors that come into play on an international move.

I love it when people call me Zlotnik, lol. Reminds me of my army brat days, lol.

In regards to inusrance, on international moves you can pick and chose what you want covered and for how much. So you can save a little there if you wished. But not much since you dont have much going.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

HELENKANEU

Postby HELENKANEU » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:24 am

Did not mean it bad when I calle dyou Zlotnik lol hope you dont mind.
I wander, if they give me a binding estimate, the company cannot exceed that price no matter what, so, and pardon my ignorance, why would that be bad for me? I am getting more and more confused, because every advice says something slightly different. Once binding is good, once it is bad...I know that int'l move is complicated, and a binding estimate possibly excludes customs inspection fees or the possibility of someone beeing on strike and my goods in storage due to that etc... The company that has offered me a binding estimate has been in int'l moving since 1905! and thou I take the BBB with a grain of salt, they had 1 complaint in the past 36 months regarding customer service...
Bottom line, I don't know anymore lol I feel like I am playing thelottery. Maybe I winn, maybe I wont. We are actually considering justthrowing all away, and pay for a few extra pieces of luggage at the airport...
Sorry if I sound pessimistic...
HELENA N. LORENZ

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:35 am

Helena,

The way I understand it, the United agent Walkerly Moving (near Cleveland) is offering to give you a binding estimate if it can come to your home and see the goods you are shipping. Various people are warning you against this.

Please send a PM to "23" to see what he knows about this company since I think he may have some insight.

Postby 23 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:22 pm

I used to work in the Cleveland market and Walkerly sucks.

I would use Movers -R- Us before I would use them. That specific agent has low standards and their office in Wooster was recently terminated by United. I believe they are an Atlas agent now.

Good luck!

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:00 pm

Oh sure, blame it on Atlas now, lol. they sucked as United FIRST, lmao :P . And I just checked Atlas' system and it doesnt show them as one of their agents, thank god. Unless of course, its a new agent as of this month :?:

And Helen, binding not to exceeds are good for interstate moves, intrastate moves and sometimes locals (if you can get one). But like I said, it just doesnt happen with international moves. If you are aware of all the possible extra cost, then it really isnt binding now is it??

And NO offense on the using of the last name, sounds cool hearing it, lol.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby 23 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:46 am

Michael,

This is the agent I am talking about:

The Reed Warehouses

See how long they have been an agent.

Return to “International Moves”