Update on my move to Houston from Seattle

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
seattle-jeff

Update on my move to Houston from Seattle

Postby seattle-jeff » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:22 am

As you know, I am moving to Houston from Seattle. I will try to keep you guys informed on what is happening. So far, I have received estimates from four movers. They all came to my 1-bedroom apartment for a survey. They were all friendly and courteous both in person and over the phone. At this point, I cannot vouch much for the friendliness since obviously they all want my business. We will see if that changes if I move forward. Below are their estimates.

----------------------------------------------------
Atlas Van Lines/Mitchell Moving and Storage

Estimated Weight: 2700 lbs
Transportation Cost: $1902
Origin Shuttle: $354
Custom Packing : $156
Additional Transportation Origin & Destination: $106
Other fees (fuel and IR surcharge): $228
Origin shuttle: $300
Total price: $2693 (appox)

Comments: This price includes a discount of 60%.

Allied Van Lines/Continental Van Lines

Estimated Weight: 2800 lbs
Transportation Cost: $2223
Origin Shuttle: $367
Custom Packing (mirror carton, queen mattress, crib mattress): $139
Total “Guaranteed” Price: $2729.

Comments: They also offer valuation for min value of $15,000 at $181 with 0 deductible. Very similar to Atlas Van Lines. Notice, however, that their estimate does not include fuel/IR surcharge and origin/destination fee. I wonder if they included them in transportation cost.

Wheaton Van Lines/Pacific Movers

Estimated Weight: 3500 lbs
Transportation Cost: $2283
Origin Shuttle: $354
Custom Packing: $170
Additional Transportation Origin & Destination: $134
Other fees (fuel and IR surcharge): $273
Total price: $3200 (approx)

Comments: This price includes a discount of 61%. They offer valuation for a min value of $20,000.

Graebel/Quality Movers

Estimated Weight: 3500 lbs
Transportation Cost: $2143
Custom Packing : $300
Additional Transportation Origin & Destination: $96
Orig fee and dest fee (135): $124
Other fees (fuel and IR surcharge): $256
Origin shuttle: $318
Total price: $3200 (appox)

Comments: price includes a discount of 61%. They also offer valuation for min value of $15,000 at $149 with 0 deductible. Very similar to Wheaton.

Questions :

1: Both Graebel and Wheaton provided a table of measurement listing the size of each item to be moved. Atlas and Allied didn’t provide such inventory documentation. Is this good or bad?

2: Graebel is also charging orig/dest fee (135). What is this?

3: Allied estimate indicates that if actual weight is less than 2800 lbs, the GPP price will reduce by $42 per cwt. What this menas? Is this a standard policy?

4: Wheaton and Graebel estimates are non-binding estimate. If the weight exceed the estimated cost by 10%, I will have to pay estimated cost plus 10% at the time of pickup and pay the balance within the next 30 days. Is this acceptable? Should I instead get a binding estimate?

5: Allied estimate says that the total price is guaranteed. Does this mean that it is binding estimate?

Michael

Re: Update on my move to Houston from Seattle

Postby Michael » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:01 pm

Jeff,

Lets answer a few questions.

1. :arrow: Yes this is always a great thing for a company to do. You quotes are based on what is on the inventory they provided for you. Or should have given to you. I would highly recommend you ask Atlas and Allied for them. If they refuse to give them to you, pass on them. But I am sure they will.

2. :arrow: Actually, Graebel, Atlas and Wheaton charge and origin and destination fee. This off sets the cost of long carries, stairs, and labor cost. This is a normal line cost in the 400 N tariff.

3. & 5.:arrow: Its always been my understanding of Allieds GPP that it is a binding amount. SO if you do have less weight, your cost is not going down. It is in essence a BINDING estimate. Thier GPP is not based on the 400 N Tariff that the other three are using. So it may be hard to compare numbers with the others.

4. :arrow: I would highly recommend you get a not to exceed quote or a Assured Price Protection quote from Atlas. Most companies will give them if you ask. It isnt a standard procedure to give out not to exceeds in the industry and is generally dictated by the agency of the company as to whether or not their companies policies are to give them. And your correct about the 110% non binding. But understand, that is all you have to pay at time of delivery even if its more then the 110%.

I noticed you have a shuttle down twice for Atlas. Is one for Destination?

Weights seem close, but I would definitely want to see my inventories from the other two to compare. More then likely the ones that estimated higher estimated more boxes being moved.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:53 am

Thanks Michael for such useful info. I included Origin Shuttle charge twice for Atlas by mistake. There is only one charge for $300. None of the movers quoted me shuttle charge at the destination.

Agains, thanks for the tips and advice.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:58 pm

Hello,

I asked Atlas to give me not to exceed (guaranteed estimate) but their agent refused the request flat out.

So I guess I would go with Allied. Michael mentioned that with GPP my price wouldnt go down if actual weight is less than estimated but Allied says it would go down by 42 cents per pound. Not much but at least I would have some protection from being scammed if they claim that the weight is more than the estimated. Or would I?

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:07 pm

Jeff,

Read your quote. The GPP is a binding estimate. We have seen on this site and Ihave experienced personally that Allied does not weigh its trucks on GPP. I always knew of it as TPG, total price guarantee. Maybe a GPP is different.

Just let us know for sure to keep us assured.

Thanks,
Michael

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:29 am

Hey Michael,

The Service Order says that if actual weight is less than 2800 lbs, the GPP price will reduce by $42 per cwt. According to Allied agent, this means that if weight is less than estimated weight of 2800 lbs, then the price would reduce by 42 cents per pound.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:53 am

Guest,

Well if it says that then your good. So its not their TPG but their GPP.

Best of luck,
Michael

Return to “Open Community”