Chicago to NYC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
betterbmoving

Chicago to NYC

Postby betterbmoving » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:49 pm

Hi,
I am doing a long distance move from Chicago to NYC the end of the month. I need 2 months storage b/c I have not found an apartment in NY yet and I am moving out of my current one in 1.5 wks!

I have gotten a few estimates, and after viewing this website, I am back where I started.

I got a quote from "moving on up" company in Hollywood Florida who had a really cheap price and reasonable storage (totalling $1319, not including some packing/storage for 200.00), but they based the estimate upon 406 cubic feet. I understand basing an estimate upon cubic ft is not good.... Plus they did ask for a 10% deposit and take cash only... I called the DOT and there were some complaints on this firm...

I got an an in-house estimate from Allied Van Lines/Reebie and that quote came out to be about $3100 for about 2700lbs. This did not include insurance and packing charges... Ive seen tons of bad postings on reebie here in chicago...

I also had a call from a broker called megamovers who got a quote from united van lines. This quote was based one 2709lbs and totalled 2576.29 and the 110% estimated charges of 2833.92. This includes storage (which totalled 900.00 due to redelivery)... Ive seen on this site that we should not use brokers...

Also spoke to Moishe's as they have a chicago office. They quoted based on 2650 lbs. New York storage in transit: $2164, Chicago storage in transit: $1654. The higher price in NY is based on re-delivery... I hear mixed reviews on Moishe's.

I am sooo confused and lost!! I have to move my items in 1.5 weeks. I would be soooo thankful if someone could just recommend a reputable long distance mover that isnt going to leave me broke (and betrayed)!

Thanks again for any help!!

MusicMom

Re: Chicago to NYC

Postby MusicMom » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:07 pm

I think you shoud scrap the whole list and start over. I don't normally say this, but given the area in which you live and the short time frame, I suggest sticking to agents of major van lines. Just keep checking up on the number of complaints like you have been doing.

Look to the upper left and click on the cool smiley link to get good tips. It will be expensive, don't try to cut corners here.

Out of curiosity, where is Moishe's "Chicago office" located? Do you have an address or number for them?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:09 pm

Diane is the one with the super memory for who the movers with good reviews are, maybe you could sign up for membership and send her a PM if she doesn't come along soon.

thea0372

Postby thea0372 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:29 pm

U guys are quick! I am the one who posted this listing (betterbmoving). Hopefully Ill get some feedback from Diane.

Also, after reading some posts, I noted Jackson and Armstrong... Ill keep ahunting. Boy, Im getting scared! Its coming close!

Thanks again!

thea0372

Postby thea0372 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:31 pm

Oh - and to answer your question about Moishes in IL:

Moishe's Moving Systems & Storage

2233 S. Throop St.

Chicago, IL 60608

ph: 866-752-6969

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:58 pm

I'll take a stab at it, anyway . . . I agree with MusicMom that you should scrap the whole list.

betterbmoving wrote:I got a quote from "moving on up" company in Hollywood Florida who had a really cheap price and reasonable storage (totalling $1319, not including some packing/storage for 200.00)

Rule out - it is a scammer that has given you a lowball quote.

I got an an in-house estimate from Allied Van Lines/Reebie and that quote came out to be about $3100 for about 2700lbs.

Rule out - bad comments about Reebie on this website and you say you heard them too.

I also had a call from a broker called megamovers who got a quote from united van lines. This quote was based one 2709lbs and totalled 2576.29

Rule out - why use a broker to book you with United Van Lines? You should go directly to United (according to a moverguy I know, Armstrong is the best United agent in Chicago) to get a quote. I recommend that you do just that, as a start.

Also spoke to Moishe's as they have a chicago office. They quoted based on 2650 lbs. New York storage in transit: $2164, Chicago storage in transit: $1654.

Not sure what this means but they seem to be giving you a lowball quote, which happened to a person named Silvia before. I think you can probably do better than Moishe's.

One good thing is that you got an in-house estimate so you know that your weight is about 2700 pounds (about 6 linear feet in a moving van).

Do you live in a place that can be accessed by a large truck or are you in a high-rise in the center of Chicago where you would have to use a shuttle? If your situation isn't too complicated, you might want to consider using Broadway Express for a basic transportation cost of about $1400 according to their website (fuel surcharge and NY city fee included). Then you would have to add probably $100 for the driver to help load and probably another $200 or so for labor to load and unload. Storage for two months would be on top of that, and I have no idea what it would cost but am guessing several hundred dollars. (If you don't know what Broadway Express is, there are nearly 50 reviews and a FAQ sheet on stickies at the top of the messageboard.)

If you're interested in this as an option, I suggest that you call BE tomorrow to discuss it with them because you don't have much time. I'm guessing that the total cost might be around $2500 and you would have peace of mind. They could help you find a place to store your stuff--I think it could even be stored in their warehouse in south central IL. They might be able to send one of their smaller trucks to pick it up, eliminating the need for a shuttle in Chicago.
Last edited by Diane on Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thea0372

Postby thea0372 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:15 am

Thank all of you so much. Diane - thanks to you too!

Well, I did list my name with Broadway express. Only problem is that I would not be able to help unpack and then pack again if when goes to storage so i dont know how all that works...
I am def. going to talk to BE and see what they say.

Also, will talk to Armstrong. Hopefully something works out... Will keep you posted.

I dont think i'd need a shuttle but not sure. My street is fairly residential and is pretty wide.

Thanks again,

becky

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:19 am

Quick note on Moishe's Chicago. They do have an IL license number, according to this ad on 123movers.com.

The address listed on 2233 S. Throop St is a Mini-Storage. (*groan*)

Wonder how they fit in all the desks?

thea0372

Postby thea0372 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:53 am

wow... I am impressed with your research! The interesting thing with Moishe's is that when I called the NY office for prices, they refer me to the chicago office.

This is an amazing forum. If I ever find a mover, Ill be soo thankful to all of you!

I am planning on speaking with:
United Armstrong
Planes Moving - United
Jackson movers
Broadway Express

Thanks to all...

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:42 am

Hi, Becky - glad that things seem to be coming together. Just a few more comments on your list:

According to a person I know who used to work in the industry in Chicago, Jackson Allied used to be good but recently there have been changes that have made it less desirable in his eyes than Armstrong United. He didn't tell me anything about Planes United but others have said that it is good.

With regard to Broadway Express, my estimate above of $200 for loading and unloading labor refers to what you would have to pay to a temporary labor service such as Labor Ready at www.laborready.com to load you in Chicago and unload you in NYC. BE can give you the contact information for Labor Ready. Many people who used BE have hired them and the BE drivers are used to working with them. The unloading and loading in the BE warehouse if BE stores your goods in transit would be handled by BE and included in their price. Be sure to tell BE that you will need storage in transit while you locate an apartment in NYC.

thea0372

Postby thea0372 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:28 pm

Thanks again Diane.
I still need to call BE, but I am thinking it is going to be too many logistical planning with BE. The only reason is b/c I dont know when/where I will be moving in NY, and to hire loading/unloading from the midwest could be difficult for me. I think for piece of mind, using a larger van line that can do it all, might be my best option.

I understand my big expenses might be this whole shuttle situation. I guess i will have to suck it up and pay big bucks. But for piece of mind and a good moving company, I will pay what is necessary. But do not want to get cheated.

I have in home appts tomorrow with Armstrong, and Jackson. I also have an in home apt with Planes. My firm uses Planes for corporate relocation, so hopefully, they would give me the same service I might have through corporate relo. I am in HR and so I also work with our Relo group at my firm.

I feel at least satisfied that I have these 3 appts. and that hopefully I can make a decision this week. I really, really appreciate all your feedback. I cant thank you guys enough for this forum and all your feedback!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:54 pm

Hi, Becky,

What you have lined up sounds very good. If your firm has a contract with Planes that gives you even more protection. From what you describe (wide street not in central city) you won't need a shuttle service in Chicago. However, I believe that most if not all major van lines do use shuttles in most parts of NYC. (I know that I will hear about it from the moving professionals who post on this board if I am wrong!)

I sense that you want and can afford to use a full-service moving company. Therefore the following advice isn't aimed at you personally, but I do want to explain some things for any reader who may be coming along after you who may have a similar geographical and logistical situation.

It is confusing because the whole concept of U-Pack, We-Drive is unfamiliar to most people, and then, within that concept Broadway Express is a very special company. I will just say that things that initially sound complicated are often not so difficult when in the hands of a good company like BE.

If a person is moving from Chicago to NYC and needs storage, BE could normally arrange for the following:

1. Pickup in Chicago, probably by a BE truck that is smaller than a semi. The customer would contact LaborReady at www.laborready.com to help load and would pay separately for that service. The BE driver could also be paid $25/hour to help load (recommended).

2. Transport to BE's warehouse south of Chicago in Effingham, IL.

3. Unload into storage-in-transit by BE workers in their warehouse. Storage there for however long the customer wants.

4. After being notified by the customer, reload by BE workers onto a semi headed for NYC.

5. Transport to the customer's residence in NYC. No shuttle would normally be used because BE delivers all over NYC without using shuttles. (It is "Broadway Express" and has been delivering Broadway stage sets for many years--see photos on the website--and it knows the ins and outs of NYC street situations.)

6. Unload at the customer's residence in NYC by LaborReady or other temporary labor service--again, paid for by the customer. The customer would have nothing to do within any loading into and out of the BE warehouse in the Midwest. That would be handled by BE and included in their price quote.

Again, I am posting the above for general information purposes only.

Good luck on your move, Becky! It sounds as if you have a couple of good options. Please keep us posted on what happens.

thea0372

Postby thea0372 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:52 pm

FYI - I spoke to BE and they actually recommended I work with a larger van line. For them to drive to chicago and take my items to storage would be about 750 and then storage is 160 (which is reasonable), but then the price transportation from Chicago to BKLYN was 1700. And then he told me there could be a problem getting the trailer into certain areas in bklyn. So, I am sticking with the big van lines and hope things work out!

The person I did speak to was VERY nice and very helpful. He did try to go over the different options.

Will keep ya posted!!

Becky

thea0372

Postby thea0372 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:58 pm

I got 3 in house quotes so far and wanted to get some people's opinions... I cant believe how expensive this is, but maybe it is dead-on...

1st Quote: My quote for United Armstrong was based on 3300 lbs. This is for loading the truck, 60 days of storage here in Chicago, and then redelivery into Brooklyn. They provided a binding estimate of 4297.00. This includes everything, including insurance. Rep (who was VERY nice) said that the price could not go over that but could go under. I am packing all of my items except 3 frames. This seems very expensive! Is this right on??

2nd quote: is an over the phone quote but will have an inhouse quote to back it up on Friday. The estimate is for Planes united based on 2800 lbs. He is quoting an estimated cost of 3259.00. This does not include a 400 or so shuttle charge in NY. So, looks like price will be similar based on the weight.

The 3rd is quote I am still waiting on.

I had an in-house quote earlier this week from Reebie/Allied. Their quote was based on 2200 lbs and provided a guaranteed price of 1950.00. However, that does not include 795. storage/shuttle fee/insurance. However, I have heard mixed reviews...

Let me know your thoughts if the Armstrong quote seems like a reasonable amount or if this is the expectation for a big van line.

Also, how much do i need to be setting aside for tips?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:17 pm

Can any of the moverguys comment on this to help out this nice lady?

Return to “Open Community”