One more quote

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
thea0372

One more quote

Postby thea0372 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:33 pm

I have another quote from Jackson Allied, who stated a guaranteed price for 2054 lbs. This is supposing they can get a truck to directly send my times to NY and store it there. Includes everything including insurance, storage, delivery and redelivery. Price is 3300. I asked what if the weight is over the price quoted, and the rep said it would be the same price. Any thoughts??

intheindustry

Re: One more quote

Postby intheindustry » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:55 pm

First of all moving companies do not guarantee anything.

Make sure you receive this quote, with all of it's inclusions, in a binding quote letter. Keep in mind that a binding quote letter will state on the face of the quote letter that it is binding on the carrier.

One other thing, if the moving company comes to your residence to pick up your goods under a binding quote and they feel your weight is going to exceed 2054 lbs they have the right to requote you in writing prior to loading your household goods based on their revised weight estimate. If you do not agree they can refuse the load and your going to have a headache trying to find another mover quickly.

If they load your household goods they cannot change the binding quote.

What kind of insurance are they including? Moving Co's (unless properly licensed to do so) cannot sell insurance.

Bottom line make sure it's ALL in writing! Good luck

thea0372

Postby thea0372 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:58 pm

Thanks greatly for your feedback.

Well the paper is titled:
Guaranteed Price Plegdge and then states Total Guaranteed Price by the final quote. I read somewhere on here, that Allied's Total Guaranteed price is a binding quote. I understand about the insurance... So do you recommended not paying for it and taking a risk?

The other quote I got the other day was from Armstrong united.
That quote was a binding quote based on 3100 lbs and amounted to about 4300.00. Just seems like a lot .

My last and final quote is tomorrow from Planes United. Praying they come in with a competitive quote. I am moving in exactly one week so getting very nervous.

IMP

Postby IMP » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:57 am

TPG from Allied is BINDING - which means binding. If your stuff weighs 500# you pay what the binding price is. I must tell you that an estimated weight of 2054 throws me for a loop. First of all - most moving companies have a minimum of 2100#. Secondly, when doing an estimate, round numbers are generally the norm - so even if they did figure your weight at 2054, it would be estimated at 2100#. That number just throws me for a loop.

Now - a BNTE or GNTE quote for say - 3,000 pounds, if your actual weight is 2,100 pounds then you pay for 2,100 pounds.

As for including storage and redelivery - I have very rarely (like could probably count on two fingers) seen a binding or GNTE quote that included storage. Storage charges are also based on weight - but also on time. There is no guarantee that you will be taking delivery in exactly 30 days. It could be 27 days or it could be 33 days, and the way the tariff is written, storage is charged daily - so for a quote to be binding and include storage, they should be showing up on your doorstep that 30th day. I'm just shaking my head a little on this one.

Insurance/Valuation - no the mover cannot sell you "insurance" unless they have a broker's license (that's insurance broker - not moving broker). My personal opinion is that you should include the valuation if you have belongings that would be at all costly to replace. Consider asking if they have an option with a deductible. Often times the premium is much less with a $250.00 deductible. So if something is damaged and can be repaired or replaced for under $250 you aren't out too terribly much, but if it can't you've got that backing.

intheindustry

Postby intheindustry » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:00 pm

Question for you: Have any of the moving companies given you the handbook "Your Rights and Responsiblilities When You Move"? In the Binding Estimate section it answers alot of your questions - not to mention the entire book is good reading. It explains that even though a quote from a moving company is binding the carrier has the right to BILL you for additional services not included in the binding estimated thirty days after delivery.

FYI: I have read alot of comments about binding and non-binding estimates and I don't know if anyone has hit on this yet: Although it's required for a moving company to release your household goods at destination upon payment of the amount listed in the binding quote, or with payment of 110% of the non-binding quote, it is my understanding that a moving company can still refuse to deliver your goods and request payment for everything (exceeding the above amounts) and the only firepower a consumer has is that you can hold your moving company liable for a delay claim, nothing more. I believe the "good" movers would not do this to a customer but the laws have left a loophole for the "rouge" movers to jump through. Something to chew on.

thea0372

Postby thea0372 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:49 pm

Thanks so much everyone for your feedback. I finally found a mover and feel comfortable with the firm (Planes United). The binding quote was based on 2700 lbs and they estimated $3200 (not including the shuttle in nyc). This includes my storage and valuation (although I understand now what parts of the contract are not binding). This is expensive, but I do have piece of mind. This company does relocation for my firm and I work closely with the relocation team at my firm. So, hopefully they will give me the same service they would if I were a corporate more.

To answer your question, only 2 people gave me the 'know your rights' handbook (both united armstrong and united planes). None of the others did (Ive had about 8 quotes 4 of them in-house) many of them the major van lines.

I will definitely post and let you guys know how the move ended up turning out. My items will be in storage, so I wont really know until december/Jan.

Thank all of you for helping me make an informed decision and also for sending me on the right track. I feel much calmer now.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:29 pm

Hi - I sent a PM to this person today and asked her for a report on Planes United since the 2005 moving season will be here soon and many people are looking for movers in Chicago (reminder: she moved to NYC). She sent me a PM back as follows:

thea0372 wrote:Hi,
Thank you for the follow up. I almost forgot, but I just got my things a few weeks ago....

My service with Planes was GREAT. The service really was impeccable. The movers were fast and careful.

However, I did have one issue. I asked for insurance on 3 items (framed art work) and also asked for boxes for them so I would not be liable if something happened. The front-end movers ended up taking my frames and wrapping them with blankets/foam but did not pack them... I did not know this until my items got to nyc. 2 frames (one antique) were damaged - not badly but not sure if they can be repaired. I also had 2 other items that were broken, but nothing that I am losing sleep over.

I am going through the claims process, but Planes did refund the boxes they charged me for, and they were very empathetic towards the damage. I would recommend them to other friends/family and would also use them again. I was very happy with the service! If I have problems with the claims, ill post another email.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:39 pm

The claim should be honoured if the packing if the art was part of the contract. Your order for service should show a cost for the packing if the picture/mirror carton. If that is the case, and the driver elected not to pack these items, then he accepted liability for the transport of the goods in the condition he received them from you. However....if the company was supplying you the carton for you to pack and you did not do that, you could be deemed neglegent in that you did not properly prepare the goods for shipping. Also how was this listed on the inventory, ie.condition= not packed owner's risk. This is one of those terrible issues that we face in the industry. Knowing the agency you are dealing with, they will probably settle in your favour if it is a small amount.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:01 am

The only other issue I see that she mentioned was she asked for "insurance" on 3 items. I hope she knows and received full valuation on her entire shipment, because van lines do not itemize valuation (except on international moves). And sense one of the pictures was antique, I hope she filled out her high value inventory form.
Last edited by Michael on Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:29 am

True. Again we don't know exactly how this was sold and another example of understanding what is being purchased by the shipper. We could write volumes and still not cover everything.

moveman

Postby moveman » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:54 pm

You know, Fred0844 is right. If the carrier intended to pack the items and did not, they accepted the as is. If they were damaged then the company should settle the claim.

I'm sure this will happen :wink:
Moveman
an honest mover

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:27 pm

It better happen soon, because "Diane" is watching with interest, along with "Jess" and "Melissa" from Armstrong. :wink:

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:23 am

One more thought, although it is after the fact. Perhaps this piece should have been crated. Some ornate frames are wider than the standard picture carton. Picture cartons are usually 3" wide and I have seen some of these frames 4" wide. Also if the frame is ornate carved wood or plaster, the only safe way to transport is in a solid crate, with screws through the back into the stretcher bars or the artwork. This way the frame is suspended inside a solid crate with about an inch all around. Now here comes the mover in me (sorry Tim). During the in home survey the shipper states "I am packing everything." The day before the move calls and says " I need some cartons to pack some pictures." So far no problem. Driver shows up at residence, and guess what, for any of the above reasons, the cartons did not work. Don't have time to get a crate made, what does the driver do? He has 2 options. He can refuse to take the picture, bad customer service = bad mover = post on this message board. He can do what he did, try and do the best job under the situation, take the piece and protect it with what he had available. It is now a claim, if the claim is not settled, bad customer service = bad mover = post on this message board. I am not saying that this is what occurred on this move but it is a situation the industry faces often, caught between 2 wrongs.

Return to “Open Community”