Update on my claim

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
PacerFan577

Update on my claim

Postby PacerFan577 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:56 am

History here:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2549&highlight=

Brief summary:
I moved with Atlas from NJ to FL in August and they broke a bunch of stuff. They destroyed a plastic storage tub, sheared the bottom off of a pillar leg on my dining table, and took a chunk out of the side of my entertainment center (which is, of course, heavy duty particle board which I can't see any way to fix).
Note: The damage wasn't caused by poor service from Atlas, I think they did a decent job. Unfortunately, the logistics of my move required my stuff to be handled too many times for something to not break. And that's exactly why you need to get full valuation protection.

Update:
I sent in my claim form for the tub, the full value of the table, and 1/4 of the value of my entertainment center (it's usable but it's value is significantly reduced). I receive a voicemail from Atlas stating they'd pay me the $12 for the tub, and that they were referring me to some furniture repair place for my other two items.

I received the check for $12 in the mail but have yet to hear from the furniture place. On the back of the check, there is a nice little stamp that says "By acceptance of this check, I release completely and forever discharge Atlas Van Lines, Inc. from any and all claims." That's fine, I understand what they're doing here, but they haven't resolved my claims yet so I won't release them yet.

Two questions: First, what do I do about the furniture repair place that I haven't heard from? What happens if they can't fix the furniture? Second, should I just hold the check, or should I add something like "... pertaining to this item. I reserve my rights on existing claims on all other items until satisfactorily resolved."

Thanks guys and gals, I'm almost done with this move.

-Tim

Michael

Re: Update on my claim

Postby Michael » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:42 am

Tim,

Stay on top of them. If you would like me to make a courtesy call I would be more then happy.

Second with particle board furniture, they should have had you sign a waiver form releasing them of liability for that. So you might run the risk of them denying that one.

Let me know how I can help if I can.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

PacerFan577

Postby PacerFan577 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:55 am

Michael -

There wasn't a waiver (that I'm aware of anyway, unless it was buried in the other documentation), and I wasn't even aware it was particle board until I found the missing piece that had conveniently been placed in a drawer. It's not one of those cheapo buy it at the store and assemble it type entertainment centers. We'll see.

Any advice on the check? I think I'm just going to hold it until the furniture is fixed. It's only valid for 90 days, so I hope it doesn't take that long.

Thanks
-Tim

IMP

Postby IMP » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:00 am

Call call call call call - tell the mover that you haven't heard from the repair firm to schedule an appointment, ask for the name, address and phone number of they company that they have hired, and do not under any circumstances cash that check. If it takes 80 days - send it back and ask to have it reissued.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:23 am

Pacer,

I agree with IMP. Like I said stay on top of them. Call every day, morning, noon and night, if you can till you get the response your looking for.

Like I said if I need to make a coutesy call let me know.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:19 pm

Like I said if I need to make a coutesy call let me know.

Cutesy calls are the best! You get a lot accomplished when you're cute. :wink:

Guest/me

Postby Guest/me » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:13 pm

LOL, well you know what I meant, lol.

Return to “Open Community”