question about agent

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
VickkiStead

question about agent

Postby VickkiStead » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:53 pm

What if I'm looking in my phone book and all I find are local agents for the big movers? Is it the same thing as going through the 800 number or is it like hiring the local? HELP this is HARD :( I've spent days researching movers just to find your site now...

twalker
Site Admin

Re: question about agent

Postby twalker » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:55 pm

Hi Vicki,

An agent will be a local company that has the legal authority to represent the van line. You should be okay, but let us know specifically which agents you're looking at (and which van lines they represent). We'll be happy to verify that they are really van line representatives for you.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

VickkiStead

Postby VickkiStead » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:14 am

Wow That was so quick thank you!!

First we have:

Sorenson Moving and Storage USDOT #077949/ MC-67234 supposedly since 1942 (slightly over the 10 year mark, no?) as an agent for United Van Lines (couldn't find United on the blacklist and they have a fine BBB report)

Next:

Don Hemsted's Van and Storage Inc... DBA... All Seasons Moving and Storage Inc... US DOT 70851 but no "MC" listed :( which makes me think that they only do the local moving and contract out the long distance to their affiliate North American Van Lines

Last one:
Brady's Moving and Storage Inc but they also have only a US DOT 125550 and no MC. Agent for Atlas Van Lines (Atlas was not on blacklist that I could find and they do have complaints with the BBB but not listed as unsatisfactory)

K, now this really is the last one:
Coulter's Transfer and Storage. Agent for Bekins. Bekins MC is 52793 US DOT 76029.... so maybe they dont do the long distance thing either?

And that sumrises all of the listings for cross country our out of town movers that supply my area with offices in Chico. :( Not a lot of options.

Any help you can supply would be most appreciated!!!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:22 am

Vikki, you're in Chico, CA, right? You don't have to stick with companies that advertise in your local Yellow Pages. You could probably go with a company that has an office in Sacramento, for example. In my opinion, you should go for the agent that has the best reputation rather than limit yourself to ones that have offices in Chico. Sorenson does sound as if it might be OK to get a quote from, though.

Where are you moving to, when are you moving, and how much stuff do you have?

VickkiStead

Postby VickkiStead » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:27 am

Wow yes, Chico CA... no one ever knows where that is... That is a good suggestion about checking in Sac.. I was trying to follow the "guidelines" since my internet searches have totally busted. I can't find any sites that have recommendations for movers in Sac. How would you suggest I find out which ones are available (since they arent on the internet) and whether they are reliable? I could go name by name in Yellowpages.com but that doesn't tell me all the info I need.

:) Thanks

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:30 am

Oh, I forgot...

Moving from Chico, CA on or around December 15th or 17th (during Finals week :shock: ) to Winston-Salem North Carolina with 1 bedroom, 1 office 1 cranky husband and 4 felines :roll: to be staying with my parents until we find a house/apartment

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:33 am

You and I are chasing each other around the board. ;-)

The first thing you have to decide is whether you would consider doing a self-move, as you indicated on the other thread about rental vans. (You can save a lot of money that way.) Then, do you want to drive yourself or have someone else drive a truck that you load? If you would consider the latter, I think you would be a good candidate for Broadway Express.

If you don't want to do either, movers on this board can probably suggest a couple more good agents in the Sacramento area to give you some alternatives. I myself know only about Chipman (United) in Sacramento, which people have said is a good company, but you already have a United agent to consider.

I have to go out now but can give you some more advice later if you want.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:24 am

Vicki,

You can check for agents within the systems by visiting their appropriate web sites and doing an agent search.

For example, atlasworldgroup.com would take you to Atlas Van Lines. Unitedvanlines.com would take you to United Van Lines. You get the point.

That will get you quicker to the companies your looking for in the areas your considering.

Because your move is cross country to this beautiful state we call NC, god's country I have heard some locals call it, you should price out all options. I personally think you should look at them in this order, full service (United, Atlas and the others you mentioned), Dianes choices of ABF or BE, and lastly renting a truck and doing it all yourself.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:16 am

Just to summarize, her choices among agents of major van lines in Chico, CA (other than Bekins, which I would rule out) are:

1. Sorenson Moving and Storage (United)

2. Don Hemsted's Van and Storage Inc... DBA... All Seasons Moving and Storage Inc. (North American)

3. Brady's Moving and Storage Inc (Atlas)

Since we have representatives of all three of these van lines posting here regularly, maybe some of them can look into what reputation these particular agents have. If there is a particularly good agent of one of these three van lines in Winston-Salem, that might make a difference, too.

sass

Postby sass » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:40 pm

Vicki, I'm riding on your coat strings here. I live in Paradise and was considering the same agents for a move to Florida. I had a good experience with Bekins in Philadelphia and was so confused by everything I've read that I was just going to go with them (Coulter's) , but I'm watching your thread for Brady's and Sorenson's. Don't know where you got the Hempsted name.

I also have boxes and boxes of books and am considering USPS or UPS. Haven't researched it.
sass

sass

Postby sass » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:41 pm

Oh mygosh, just realized the dates. Too bad. Vicki's gone and I'll never know her decision.
sass

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:45 pm

Yes, it's too bad - we always hope that people will come back and let us know how it went, but often they don't. But I think you'll be OK with Coulter's. If you have very little stuff you might as well just send your books on the moving van. They may have a minimum weight that you have to pay for anyway, regardless.

PS Is Chico really that bad?

sass

Postby sass » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:53 pm

I don't even know WHAT I have yet. This is all pre-garage sale. I own a 2300 sq. ft. home on 5-1/2 acres so I have lots of ground-maintenance tools and I have been a technical writer/student/teacher all my life, so I have lots of books. I am willing to sell most of the furniture, but if I don't I will be taking it, not donating it. But thanks for the heads up on a minimum weight..that makes sense. Who knows what a patio set weighs, though, or a lawn mower for that matter.

Chico is actually a charming little town. I came hear via Pasadena then Guerneville. I kept getting progressively more country as I aged. But Paradise is my limit. I miss a good department store for clothes among many other things. It has been the best place ever to isolate for 2 years and get my master's degree but I'm ready to be amongst friends again and a 24-hr. Safeway.
sass

Return to “Open Community”