ask for advice:Guaranteed Price. And said GP is the same as

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Oregon

ask for advice:Guaranteed Price. And said GP is the same as

Postby Oregon » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:52 pm

Thanks everyone and this board. I will experience the moving service in the next 2 months. Here I want to ask about price quote, from Allied.

We ask for binding price but the Allied agent say thay only have Guaranteed Price. And said GP is the same as Binding price. If you experienced Allied service, please help me to know if the agent said right. We are quite not sure on this. Thanks a lot!

Monkey :(

twalker
Site Admin

Re: ask for advice:Guaranteed Price. And said GP is the same

Postby twalker » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:13 am

Hi Monkey,

I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that it is Allied that uses the "TPG" estimate, and the 400-M Tariff. The TPG is a GNTE estimate, but things like long-carries and stairs can become additional charges, unlike the 400-N Tariff where those are included in the estimate. You're most likely not looking at any serious problems but you should be aware of the differences in estimates and tariffs. If you tell us the agent that you're considering someone here may have experience with them and be able to give you more information.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

monkey

Postby monkey » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:17 am

thanks Twalker!

the agent is prestige moving & storage. Another question is that the Agent using many words to refuse to have a copy of their Tarrif to me. But according to You right and you..... If should be given if custmer ask for. I am not sure anyone here did ask for a copy of tariff before making the deal?

I am pretty new on the industry. Please help. Also please explain the terms you use, like TGP....

moveman

Postby moveman » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:02 am

I hear that Allied TGP is no less no more. A single price. (Please correct me if I'm incorrect) Other agents offer a not to exceed or less. This can be a bit confusing to customers when they hear binding, not to exceed and total guaranteed price between several estimates.

Imangine how mad you would be if you got rid of things or did some packing with the intention to lower your price and the still charged you the TGP price. YIKES! :shock:
Moveman
an honest mover

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:42 am

The Allied TPG (Total Price Guarantee) is a FIXED COST BID. The agency I work for was an Allied agent for many years and I found that this type of quote to be more of an advantage to the van line and agency than to the customer. The final price never goes less unless the customer requests a change order when they delete or sell something which was included in the original quote. Allied had a type of quote called an option #5 which was a GNTE, but it was given a back burner to the TPG for obvious reasons.

Not all Agents for Alled were TPG agents at that time, Some still used the 400 Tarriff. I'm not sure if all are required to use the TPG method today. The "Not to Exceed" quote offered by any van line should be the first choice of any customer planning a move of any kind.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:20 am

You have the right to review their tarriff, but trust me, you don't want them to actually provide a copy to you. It's a large notebook with about 600 pages in it, full of jargonthat laypeople like us won't necessarily understand. I flipped through about 10 pages of one before I gave up.

What they abxolutely MUST provide to you is a copy of a book called "Your Rights And Responsibilities When You Move". This is required by law. It should also have a print date of after May 5, 2004. Older copies are invalid.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:26 am

Moving companies are required to (at a minimum) give you a copy of the portion of the tariff that is applicable to your move. This is built into the 400-N tariff software provided by the AMSA. I'm not sure what software is available for the 400-M tariff, or for TPG estimates but you should still be able to receive a copy. Here is what the booklet "Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move" has to say about it:

Do I have the right to inspect my mover's tariffs (schedules of charges) applicable to my move?

Federal law requires your mover to advise you of your right to inspect your mover's tariffs (its schedules of rates or charges) governing your shipment. Movers' tariffs are made a part of the contract of carriage (bill of lading) between you and the mover. You may inspect the tariff at the mover's facility, or, upon request, the mover will furnish you a free copy of any tariff provision containing the mover's rates, rules, or charges governing your shipment.

Tariffs may include provisions limiting the mover's liability. This would generally be described in a section on declaring value on the bill of lading. A second tariff provision may set the periods for filing claims. This would generally be described in Section 6 on the reverse side of a bill of lading. A third tariff provision may reserve your mover's right to assess additional charges for additional services performed. For non-binding estimates, another tariff provision may base charges upon the exact weight of the goods transported. Your mover's tariff may contain other provisions that apply to your move. Ask your mover what they might be, and request a copy.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Return to “Open Community”