Experience with JK Moving & Storage

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Rib Eye

Experience with JK Moving & Storage

Postby Rib Eye » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:50 pm

I have hired JK Moving & Storage for a local move in Alexandria, Va. Anyone have any thoughts to offer?

They charge $185/hr. for one truck and four movers.

http://www.jkmoving.com

They were recently featured in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38669-2004Nov10.htm

Diane

Re: Experience with JK Moving & Storage

Postby Diane » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:52 pm

They have good reviews here, which you can see if you do a search on "JK Moving" in quotation marks using the Search button above (just "JK" won't work). Thanks very much for the link to the article. Some people have said that they were a little pricey.

Rib Eye

Postby Rib Eye » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:58 pm

Thanks Diane. I did that search before posting, but got snake eyes. I'll try again. The site seems to work better on IE than Netscape. That could have been the problem.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:26 pm

Boy, you Netscape users die hard! :wink:

I tried the search ("JK Moving" (in quotes)) using Netscape Navigator v4.7 and found 17 matches. The site does look a little bit different, but it seems to function properly. The Mozilla Foxfire browser renders the site better than Netscape 4.7, and still found 17 search results. I thought that I had the latest version of Netscape laying around somewhere for testing, but can't seem to find it. I think that "consumer advocate" uses it without any problems that I know of. And, in case anyone is interested, Mozilla 1.4.2 on Red Hat Linux works fine as well. :wink:

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:45 pm

Boy, there goes that tech talk again, Tim! :wink:

From what I have heard (living in Alexandria) is that JK does great work, and prices themselves accordingly. I bet your move will go smoothly. Please give us an update so we can add it to the list of reviews.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:37 pm

What can I say... when I'm not studying, in class, working with consumers, companies, government officials, or the media, then Internet application development is what I do.

To all those scam companies that tell their customers that I'm really just a guy running a moving company and trying to steer business to myself, I say let's try talking protocols, ports, and programming languages! At least one of us will enjoy it. :wink:

Tim

Rib Eye

Postby Rib Eye » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:47 am

Hi Tim.

Not to derail my own topic but I have IE, NEtscape 7.something and Firefox Beta all installed on this work PC and none of them do everything they are supposed to. (Yay for the Mac at home, but boo for the dial-up connection there).

I couldn't get this site to load properly at all with Netscape and Java scripts seem to fail pretty consistently with that browser all over the internet (though right now it is the most fully functioning of the browsers.) Many sites still won't display at all on Firefox (Slate.com, go figure...) and IE only displays images about 2/3 of the time and the back button usually won't work anymore. The IE problems are what led me to download the other browsers, but now I fear I have set myself up for all kinds of conflicts.

I will definitely let people know what happens with JK. Given the horroor stories I have seen here and elsewhere, I am willing to pay more if it means everything goes well and there are no unpleasant surprises.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:59 am

Hi Rib Eye,

That's strange... I loaded slate.com fine with Firefox v1.0. Some of the problems that you're having sound like PC problems that may be effecting your browsers. Have you run anti-spyware software recently such as SpyBot Search & Destroy, and Ad-Aware?

Just a thought off the top of my head.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Rib Eye

Postby Rib Eye » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:45 pm

That might work, but I'l lnever know since I don't have administrative access to download software.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:40 pm

To balance the equation, you should be aware of a a bit of dirt about JK... do a search on this site and you'll find it.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Rib Eye

Postby Rib Eye » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:53 pm

I saw it, researched it and I'm willing to chalk it up to an honest mistake.

No one who actually used JK has had a problem with them though. That plus the personal recommendations I've been given are good enough for me. They are sending a rep out tomorrow night for an in-home estimate for the wrapping up of our crystal/china and our 200 year old secertqry/bookcase.

The rest I'm not so concerned about because it's an hourly rate and a five mile move.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:12 pm

Hey Rib Eye,

I lost my train of thought! I had meant to give you this information earlier, but you might want to keep it handy... You might want to double check with Paul Pugh at the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (804-367-1498). Intrastate Virginia movers are required to have a Household Goods Certificate from the DMV. You may also want to touch base with the Virginia Movers & Warehousemen's Association. The Executive Secretary there is Dale Bennett, and his phone number is 804-358-1448.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:34 pm

Tim, I'm almost positive this mover is licensed as needed. But to be safe, please do check with Mr. Pugh. He's nice.

Return to “Open Community”