GPS tracking device for the move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Elric

GPS tracking device for the move

Postby Elric » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:16 pm

Greetings,

We happen to have a rather bad experience with a moving company recently when our belongings were transported up and down the country while so-called "logistics" manager was giving us BS about the whereabouts of the cargo. A friend of mine who is a techno wizard suggested to place a GPS tracking device of some sort somewhere inside prior to the pickup. He suggested that one would be able to pinpoint the location of the cargo at any given time and have a printout of the route for, say, possible litigation purposes.

I know, it sounds too advanced and very expensive to implement but I heard stories when moving companies refused to deliver belongings effectively blackmailing the customer who didn't have a clue where his/her stuff was. I have no idea about associated costs or implementation feasibility but it is rather original idea nevertheless. The question is: Would you tell your moving company about the device or would you rather keep it a secret? :D

Regards,

Elric

twalker
Site Admin

Re: GPS tracking device for the move

Postby twalker » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:11 am

Hi Elric,

The devices are around $700+ right now and are dependent on a cellular phone signal. Because of that I wonder about the effectiveness of these devices when they are loaded onto a truck and may be surrounded by other boxes, as well as the metal of the trailer or storage unit itself. I've been checking out these devices off and on for the past few years and I have considered testing them for household moves, but right now the cost seems to be the biggest hurdle to me. Without knowing if they even work I couldn't recommend one of these devices quite yet. It's something that I am definitely interested in though.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:46 pm

Eric,

Many of the majors have GPS systems on their fleets now a days. Some have them on their trucks and others on the trailers. This gives you the opportunity to track your shipment on line.

Of course having the system on the trailer is much better in my opinion then on the truck. Trailers are dropped all the time and picked up by other drivers, thus you could be tracking your driver but not the trailer your goods are in. This is more probable to happen in the summer time then winter.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

adamschneider

Postby adamschneider » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:58 am

You'd need to find a device that could find a good signal through the packing materials and the walls of the trailer. And if you wanted to track it while it was moving, you'd have to get one of the expensive ones Tim mentioned. But, if you only wanted to have a GPS device on-board so you could find out LATER where your stuff had been -- to see if they'd been lying to you -- you wouldn't need a fancy one. However, you would need one with a LONG battery life. I doubt any affordable GPS receiver could stay running through an entire interstate move.

wfay

Postby wfay » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:49 am

Here's a new business idea:

1. Buy a few of those $700 GPS devices Tim mentioned.
2. Rent them to people who are moving for around $10/day or flat $50/wk plus shipping to/from the customer. Add a $1000 penalty for not returning it of course. You would provide some kind of map that tracks the unit etc on your website. And it would all be dependent on the cellular signals, so I'd make no claims about how well the device will work for any particular customer and I'd definitely not offer a full refund if they were dissatisfied.
3. Profit!

Actually its not the world's worst idea! :)
--wfay

adamschneider

Postby adamschneider » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:47 pm

That's actually not a bad idea for a business. Of course, it would be better to just convince people not to use scammers in the first place!

Elric

Postby Elric » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:13 pm

Greetings,

I happen to come across this product in "Wired" magazine that provides overviews for the latest tech devices.

http://www.trimble.com/trimtrac.html

The price is around $160 with $6-$8 monthly subscription. The claim here is that this device uses GPS receiver to pinpoint the location of the object every 15 min, then sends data to a web based surveillance network through a tri-band GSM modem. It is supposed to run for 90 days off 4 AA batteries. I understand it was orignally designed as cheaper LoJack-type anti-theft device so it should work inside the truck as well. I am yet to test the device so I can't speak for its reliability but it does look rather promising.

Regards,

Elric

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:15 pm

It is supposed to run for 90 days off 4 AA batteries

Here's hoping you get your load before this time! :wink:

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:19 pm

Yes, but we're onto something... If you know where your belongings are being held then you have some legal options. Without going into details I think that this is something that I will be looking into testing very soon.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Virahm

Postby Virahm » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:37 am

I apologize for bump the old topic, but I have some interesting observations that I would like to share, maybe this will help someone in the future because once I was on the lookout for useful advice.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Art, like life, should be free, since both are experimental.
Cheers, best erp software dubai
Last edited by Virahm on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:55 pm

We've had an interest in this topic for a long time. As someone who has worked in an RF field, the biggest problem is trying to get a signal through the shell of a moving van. So far, I have yet to see a product that will allow a GPS signal reach a satellite. As far as I know all GPS devices require line of sight to connect and pick up the location of the transmitting device. This makes it impossible for a GPS device to track your stuff, unless the company you're moving with, will share their location with you. This could be done via Web site, or phone, via "Location Sharing" software.

Most moving companies won't do this because:

a. They don't need to and
b. they don't want to

The fear is that the customer will use this information against them, or question why their stuff is holed up in a distribution center, when it should be on the road (this is opinion, of course).

So, as we have it right now, there is no way to physically track your stuff, without the company volunteering this information to you. Personally, I feel like, if only moving companies would share or volunteer this information, it would save them a lot of headaches, as their customers would feel more at ease as to where their items are located, and why.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:19 am

Personally, I feel like, if only moving companies would share or volunteer this information, it would save them a lot of headaches, as their customers would feel more at ease as to where their items are located, and why.
I respectfully disagree. Here's why:
Having planned Interstate moves for over 30 years, I can assure you that the customer is already anxious to begin with, and knowing where his/her load is will not make them feel at ease. Sharing the physical location of our customers' belongings would not save headaches for us, rather it would create them. It would add an enormous amount of unnecessary phone calls from customers who demand something other than what is considered normal routing for us. During the busy season, our customer service staff already has their hands full as it is.

Here's how it works:
Upon booking, your mover will match your load with one or two other loads to fill a trailer (trailers hold roughly 28,000 lbs of household goods). They will provide a delivery spread in order to accommodate all customers, which is the primary way of saving the customer money. The dispatcher plans these loads to minimize time, and miles driven, and the trucks will rarely go in a straight line between your specific origin and destination.

The best solution:
The best thing a consumer can do is simply focus on the dates that the mover and he/she agreed to. Dates should be in writing on the Bill of Lading. If the mover arrives within the agreed delivery window - all good. Nothing else matters. If the mover is late, compensation should be requested for the inconvenience, and where the load is has little to do with the fact that it is late. Never book with an open ended delivery period.

My advice:
Best to save the money you might otherwise spend on a tracking device, and book your move with a trustworthy and reputable mover - with guaranteed dates.
Happy moving :D
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

SmashingST

Postby SmashingST » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:44 am

There is a special app which allows for tracking such things and has a lot of other useful features. Read the description of this app. It can be used for scheduling appointments, requesting callbacks from representatives, and viewing estimates of your technician's time of arrival.

Return to “Open Community”