Any advice for a DC area mover

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
bradly

Any advice for a DC area mover

Postby bradly » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:26 pm

I have been searching for and researching movers for several days now, and have narrowed my choices to JK Movers, Victory Van Corp. (out of Alexandria), and Beltway movers. I'd love any remarks about any of these companies. Victory gave me the best quote (700.00), but would not see my one bedroom apt. for an in-home estimate unless I was sure I would go with them...I guess I am too small-fry. They did, however, seem pretty sure they could do it for 700 (their minimum charge), and they would not bill by the hour. Both JK and Beltway quoted about 900-1000 for an hourly job, and I was very impressed with their helpfulness and apparent experience-- though only JK movers came to do an in-home look-see. I am moving about 25 miles from DC to Reston, and really only want a company to move the big stuff and a very few cartons-- I'm doing the rest myself. Any advice or comments I'd greatly appreciate.

MusicMom

Re: Any advice for a DC area mover

Postby MusicMom » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:57 pm

If you're already doing some of it yourself, what about hiring two guys from said companies to load your own rental truck, and unload at the other end (or two new guys down there)? Ask the three companies if they will hire out labor by the hour.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:59 pm

I don't think anyone has used Beltway and come back to post, but MusicMom has said that they seem like a reputable company.

As you probably know, "kgreen" used Victory Van recently and was very pleased - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2901. JK Moving was used and liked by "dbrown" - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1535 - and "Rib Eye" was at the point of using them just a couple of weeks ago, so you could send him a PM to see how it went. They have the reputation of being somewhat higher priced than other companies. Someone posted that they merged with Thomas AAA on September 1, 2004 (not sure whether that's true).

Bottom line: I think you would probably be OK with any of these companies, and I would tend to go with Victory Van because we have a recent positive review and the cost is lower.

bradly

Postby bradly » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:06 pm

Thanks so much for your replies-- I was hoping to get input from you two.... I'll be sure to post the outcome of my decision. Anyone else have comments?

Return to “Open Community”