Any more info. on Von Paris Moving company (in the DC area)?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dcnola

Any more info. on Von Paris Moving company (in the DC area)?

Postby dcnola » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:44 pm

Does anyone have any more information on Von Paris Moving and Storage in the DC area? I read with interest one gentleman's frustration with his experience (from a 2001 move I think), but he didn't provide much detail about what went wrong. Von Paris' DOT number is 88613 and their MC number is 42334. So far everything has checked out from what I can tell, including calling the FMCSA and the references they provided me. They've been in business since 1898 (yes, over a 100 years ago) and they provided me a binding not to exceed quote. Their quote was a bit less than the other two binding quotes I received from Allied and Mayflower.

MusicMom

Re: Any more info. on Von Paris Moving company (in the DC ar

Postby MusicMom » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:07 pm

Without more details, we can't really take much stock in that complaint from 2001.

I have lived here on and off my whole life, and Von Paris has been in the same spot for all of my memory. They are pretty busy, and generally well regarded in the area. I myself have never used them, so I cannot suggest that you do, but you have the best type of quote to get from a mover. Security (on Eisenhower Ave) is another one highly regarded by some of the moving pros here. Which two movers gave you quotes other than Von Paris? Were they BNTE also?

dcnola

Postby dcnola » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:16 pm

Thanks for the response. My other two quotes were binding quotes as opposed to BNTE and they were from Victory Van Corp (Allied) and Ramar (Mayflower). The biggest difference seems to be the weight they calculated - Von Paris calculated 6000 lbs, Victory - 6700 lbs and Ramar - 7900 lbs. Should I be concerned at such a large difference between the 3 quotes? I've been comparing the inventory lists to look for any large discrepancies.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:36 pm

Well, given that it is a Binding Not To Exceed estiamte, and they are all promising you this price nomatter what the weight, then I would go with Von Paris, too. Make sure they also give you a list of prices of the "just-in-case" type prices, such as shuttles, long carries, stairs, etc.

Did any of these guys give you a "Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move" book, and if so, how many pages was it?

dcnola

Postby dcnola » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:00 am

All three companies gave us the Rights and Responsibilities booklet. The version from Von Paris (united) and Allied (Victory Van) was 52 pages and the one from Ramar (Mayflower) was only 32. Interesting. I haven't had a chance to compare the contents.

Today we decided to go with Von Paris. I will report back on how things go. We move the first week in January.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:16 am

52 is the current one, I'm not sure about the 32-page version. The outdated one is about 25 pages long, so all three of them seem to be holding up to that regulation. Just a little nit-picking on my part.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:01 pm

Nola,

Were you able to find where the differences were in the weights from the inventories?

Even though Von Paris has a good reputation in the United System, a driver is a driver and will protest if he feels the sales person missed something or low balled an estimate.

So make sure your comfortable with what is on your inventory furniture wise. If there is a significant difference in box count, they can protest also. So look at packing as well as furniture.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

dcnola

Update on move from DC to New Orleans with Von Paris

Postby dcnola » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:35 pm

I just wanted to report that all went very well with my move from DC to New Orleans using Von Paris. Everything happened just how they said it would, and there were no surprise extra costs added on at any point. To determine whether or not we'd need a shuttle in New Orleans they had a United representative here in New Orleans come out ahead of time and look at the streets around our home to verify the need for a shuttle. From the beginning, the estimated total they provided included the cost of the shuttle, with the understanding that they'd adjust the final cost if the shuttle wasn't necessary. I liked this better than having a lower total with the understanding that the cost might be more if a shuttle was necessary (which is what the other two companies we got estimates from did). Von Paris' move coordinator, Stephanie Murray, was very professional and responsive. I was always able to reach her or my call was returned the same day.

Interestingly, our total weight was 6380, and Von Paris estimated 6000. Both Mayflower (Ramar) and Allied (Victory Van Corp) gave us binding estimates and largely overestimated our weight (7900 lbs and 7100 lbs, respectively).

From my experience, I'd feel comfortable recommending Von Paris. I hope this information is helpful.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:12 pm

It is very helpful, especially to me. This is the first good review of a long-distance mover here in my home area. Glad to hear it all went well.

Happy unpacking! :wink:

Return to “Open Community”