Local Move: Chevy Chase to Rockville MD

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
papalazoo

Local Move: Chevy Chase to Rockville MD

Postby papalazoo » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:04 pm

Hello,

had anyone had any experience with Commonwealth Movers (USDOT 476249) in Gaithersburg MD? They share the same address with the pricey but reputable (as far as I've seen in this forum) Town and Country moving company. Commonwealth says they have no relationship to T&C, other than leasing space from them and the owners being friends. I don't know if their BBB report is meaningful since it says that they joined in Nov. '04, and it gives also a Columbia MD address.

They didn't give me any rates over the phone, but have scheduled an appointment for an estimate.

We are moving a 1BDR apt. with not much valuable furniture. Both me (back) and my wife (pregnant) are not in top shape for packing and may also use some packaging services.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Lazoo

IMP

Re: Local Move: Chevy Chase to Rockville MD

Postby IMP » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:08 pm

Congrats on the upcoming baby!

You are definitely on the right track getting in-home, written estimates. I would suggest you get at least 3 of those.

Even if they did have a good BBB report, we don't put much stock in those.

I know nothing about this mover - but am sure willing to help you 'cypher the estimates once you have them in hand.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:11 pm

Laz,

I see nothing earth shattering about the company. 9 trucks, 6 drivers. Its a good sign they are coming out to do a visual. I would advise to get 2 more quotes to compare. Local moves are based on the hour depending on how many men and trucks are needed. 3men and a truck can range from 85-105 and up. @ men and a truck can range from 65-85. Depends on the area. Most companies have minimums (time they will work) and a hour travel time.

Let us know what you find out.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

papalazoo

Postby papalazoo » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:11 pm

Thank you for the replies and advice.

Commonwealth were not the only movers I called, of course. But so far they seem to be one of the very few that satisfy the criteria of the "How to find a reputable mover" article. I was surprised how few companies are willing to do a home visit and a cost estimate. Most charge by the hour and they do not want to make a "will not exceed" guarantee.

Lazoo

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:24 am

Laz,

To many factors come into play with local moves. Its based on time not weight. Therefore if it rains, it slows the crew down. If it snows, it slows the crew down. If your not ready (as alot of people are not on local moves) it slows things down.

I know I personally never give guarantees on local moves. To many factors can change. So in my opinion thats not surprising. Also, if your a small 1 bedroom apt, or a small 2 bedroom townhouse, its not surprising that they dont want to come out.

Figure 500 pounds an hour per man. 1000-1250 pounds per room. That should give you a good idea of time. Stairs, long carries, furniture that needs to be disassembled and reassembled, just adds time. Or not doing what you had planned and thought you would do but then decide the mover can just do it on moving day (just happened to me last week) can add time.

Best of luck,
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:28 am

Excellent post, Michael - something I'm sure I'll be quoting a lot in the future! (Do you want royalty payments?)

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:54 pm

Diane,

Thanks for the offer, but this info has been posted many times, not only by me, but 23, IMP, Big Lee and Donna. But hey, sure its Christmas, send me some of that cash. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:10 pm

Who's Donna? Did I miss something? (Maybe that's one of the identities that Tim assumes, sitting in his basement in the dark doing who knows what.)

papalazoo

Postby papalazoo » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:32 pm

Just wanted to close the thread I opened a while ago, now that the move is over. I was pleased overall with Commonwealth Movers and would recommend them to anyone moving within the DC area, if they are willing to pay the $140/hr rate for three men. We moved from a 1 BDR to a 2 BDR about 6 miles away and it took 5 hours in total. I was, of course, charged for the standard 1 extra hour of travel time (i.e., paid for six hours). The crew did take good care of our stuff, was courteous (although communication with two out of three was limited due to their poor English) and very efficient. I felt confident once I saw them start working and was more concerned about mine and my wife's limited mobility (both back problems -- the packing in the last three weeks did not help!) than the ability of the crew to do their job. Moving is always a nerve-wrecking experience, but I had a good feeling about Commonwealth and they delivered. Oh, and their written estimate in early January was spot on!

Lazaros

Return to “Open Community”