ALERT - avoid Lipsey's Allmoving Services (MI)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
kitbutler69

ALERT - avoid Lipsey's Allmoving Services (MI)

Postby kitbutler69 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:44 am

Anyone ever heard of this company they come highly recommended and I check the references and all good

yogi327

Re: Lipsey's Allmoving Services (MI)

Postby yogi327 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:36 am

I saw your comment and wondered if you ever got a response. I was also interested in this company but was unsure of their credentials.

shadow1401

Postby shadow1401 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:57 am

I recently used Lipsey’s for a long distance move and I had nothing but problems. First they have no semi trucks, so if you have a house full they will shove it into a 24’ truck. They also kept trying to charge me more for things, but I kept emails of what they quoted me. Also charged me an extra $100 for packaging a glass table, when they arrived it still wasn't in a box, but no refund for packaging. They couldn’t fit everything into the truck, so they had to tie stuff to the back on the lift. Not sure how legal all this was because I thought you were only allowed around 5000 pounds in that size truck. We had are belongings put in storage for a month. Now that we finally have it back items are all scratched up, have stains, items are missing, and more. I purchased the extra insurance coverage and I am trying to submit an insurance claim, but they will not call me back. So we have had to hire a lawyer. . SO I WOULD THINK TWICE ABOUT HIRING THEM.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:11 am

Lipsey's looks like a very small company (legal name is Cary Vandermeer) with only 1 truck and 2 drivers listed with www.safersys.org. Its MC (motor carrier) license number is 485382 and it has had authority to do interstate moves only since April 2004. We recommend that an interstate moving company have been licensed for at least 5 and preferably 10 years.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:24 am

Their BBB report opened last December, and in that time a complaint has popped up and been resolved. However, the BBB has gotten no response for basic information. Not a good sign.

shadow1401

Postby shadow1401 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:54 am

Update regarding Lipsey's. I would advise anyone not to use this company. We are in the process of taking them to court. They damaged many of our items and many did not even show up. They even admitted to having them, but offered no resolution. They stopped taking my calls, so we are taking them to court. Please do not use them!!

shadow1401

Postby shadow1401 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:57 am

One more thing that complaint to the BBB was from me regarding our move, it was not resolved there was not much they could do because Lipsey's is not a member of the BBB.

Happy Customer

Postby Happy Customer » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:46 am

I used Lipsey's to move my family in early December and the move went GREAT!!! We moved almost 17,000 pounds and the only thing that got broken was a wine glass. I had no extra insurance and they still bought me a new glass set. I couldn't ask for a better moving experiance.The office staff was great and very helpful. They even took a personal check.
Lipsey's was highly recommened to us and we would recommand them to anyone that is moving. The nice thing about Lipsey's is that they are a small company so you don't have to be loaded with other familys on the truck. I'm sorry about your move, but I will be using Lipsey's the next time we move. :

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:58 am

Just a note that Happy Customer is posting from Kalamazoo, MI, which coincidentally is where Lipsey's is located.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:31 am

You managed to fit 17,000 pounds onto one 23' truck??? HOW????

new guest

Postby new guest » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:15 pm

Hello, is there any recent update on this company? we're considering a move from grand rapids michigan to florida. I would very much appreciate reading recent reports, good or bad.

What they offer seems to fit our time frame well, but i wonder about the $150 deposit. Is this usual?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:31 pm

Small companies like this (it now lists 2 trucks rather than 1 on safersys.org) sometimes do ask for a deposit. I don't think that's necessarily a deal-breaker. However, I am concerned about the complaint outlined above. I would suggest that you look further. If cost is a concern, consider using Broadway Express, which has more than 200 mostly rave reviews on a sticky at the top of the messageboard. Here is an online brochure explaining how BE works. You have to hire workers to load and unload the truck, but it is not a big deal, and you can hire the driver to advise you:
http://www.movingscam.com/images/offsit ... s-0102.pdf
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

shadow1401

Postby shadow1401 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:46 pm

We hired a lawyer, went to court and we were awarded a judgment against them for damages. We still have not received anything from them. We live in Virginia and have hired a lawyer in Michigan to try to collect. It is very hard to understand how they can just disregard a judgment from a court. Please think twice before hiring this company, they are not able to handle long distance moves or big moves. [/b]

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:36 am

Thank you shadow1401 for posting your story, and thank you to Diane and MusicMom for your advice. It provided us with enough concern to investigate further. Here's what we found...

BBB logo used inapprorpriately on their site (they are not members)
BPID insurance cancelled 6/29/06.
I see this statement listed on FMCSA's revocation link:
Auth Type
COMMON
1st Served Date 06/02/2006
Effective Date 07/05/2006
Reason INVOLUNTARY REVOCATION

and this info listed on the FMCSA's authority link:
Auth Type
HOUSEHOLD GOODS COMMON CARRIER
Original Action GRANTED 04/23/2004 Disposition REVOKED 07/05/2006

Not sure what all this means, but I doubt it's anything good. We ended up with a Penske truck and are happy with that decision. I hate to think what might have happened to us without your direction. THANK YOU Movingscam.org for establishing and maintaining this forum.

Diane

Re: ALERT - avoid Lipsey's Allmoving Services (MI)

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:19 am

Thanks for this update and I'm glad that your move with Penske went well. I've changed the topic title to an "ALERT - avoid" and I'll add a warning about this company to my summary post on Michigan movers. Lipsey's is still showing the BBB logo on its website at www.lipseysmoving.com.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”