Bad Experience with Soroghan Mayflower

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
amoswb

Bad Experience with Soroghan Mayflower

Postby amoswb » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:37 pm

I was recently relocated from Tampa to Dallas. I chose to use Sorghan Mayflower out of Illinois due to the reputation Mayflower is supposed to have. I also wanted to have a full service mover this time around. When my movers arrived late, the 1st 18 wheeler had to wait for another driver in another 18 wheeler to show up to help him load and to also give him the ramps, pads and straps. There was no bulkhead wall which I was told would be in the truck. The driver then told me that he was driving my load back to Illinois and the load would be delivered by someone else. My delivery spread was from Tuesday to Tuesday. The Monday before my delivery was supposed to take place I hadn't heard a thing from Soroghan. I called my sales rep and she contacted the driver and he was pulled over by the DOT in Arkansas and couldn't pass inspection and had to get his truck repaired before he could drive any further. I called Tuesday, the driver was still stuck in Arkansas, I called Wednesday, he was still waiting on the repairs. Thursday was Thanksgiving Day, I agreed to take delivery that day as I had no more clothes and all of my dishes were in the moving van. Thursday came and I called the driver and he said that he had a flat tire. He would be in Dallas the next morning very early. They finally showed up 3 days late. In another moving van. The driver told me that my stuff had been off loaded into a Warehouse...Then I looked at my washing machine. All the buttons on the range had been ripped off. I called Soroghan. They sent me a claim form, I was pushed back and forth between them and Corp. Mayflower. 1 month later, I had an estimate for the washer for $292 dollers to fix it. My insurance was 60 cents per pound. I got a check for $120.00. I asked about being reimbursed for the late delivery and having to miss Thanksgiving. They informed me that they only reimburse verifiable expenses for food and lodging. Because I had friends to stay with I didn't have any of that. SO, I got no apology from the company for being late. No reimbursement for being late. The customer service was TERRIBLE. I had to call and call before I got any response back. As far as I am concerned, when a company makes a mistake they need to some out of pocket for it. I would have been even more broke had I stayed in a hotel and bought food everyday....So, I am being punished for not doing that and staying with friends and they are not going to do anything about. How irresposible. How pathetic. Warning to anyone moving with them. Get good insurance because you don't know where you stuff is going to end up, how many times it is going to be moved before you get it. And if they are late, concider yourself out of luck because they will not take responsibility for it. They make you feel like it is your fault for there terrible service. They make you feel bad for having to complain about their terrible service. BEWARE of SROGHAN MAYFLOWER OUT OF ILLINOIS!!

Diane

Re: Bad Experience with Soroghan Mayflower

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:59 pm

Guest,

What is the actual name of this company? I searched the Mayflower website for all agents in Illinois and none had a name resembling the one you mention. Also, I can't understand why, on a move between Tampa and Dallas, your items would have been offloaded into a warehouse in Illinois.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:52 pm

I cant understand why you lived in Tampa and selected a mover in IL, to move you to Dallas? There are plenty of agents representing Mayflower in the Florida area. Doesnt make sense?

The other thing I dont buy is shipping your goods from Tampa to IL then to Dallas. Thats just idiotic. especially just to have them picked up and put into storage. Most companies would have had the local agent pick it up and set in their warehouse until the driver could load it. Not ship it to IL to hold it for shipping.

I did not find any Mayflower, United or Atlas agents with that name, in Tampa, IL or NY.

What they did in regards to valuation, was correct. If this is legit, I just find it hard to believe they picked your goods up from TAmpa, to move them to IL and then to Dallas.

I know the name looks familiar so maybe 23 can shed some light on the company.

I just cant buy the story right now, sorry. And if I am wrong, I will be the first to apologize.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

amoswb

Postby amoswb » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:53 pm

The correct company name is as follows. Also, I am going by what I was told by the drivers.

Soraghan Mayflower Moving & Storage
Tinley Park, IL 60477

The valuation check was sent by Mayflower Corp. Ofc.

amoswb

Postby amoswb » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:02 pm

Also, I called this moving company directly out of the Tampa Yellow Pages. I didn't just willy nilly pick a company from Illinois. They were listed as Soraghan Moving & Storage - Agent for Mayflower Transit. This is the website (www.soraghanmovers.com) but I have never been able to access it. I kept all the emails they sent me though.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:28 pm

This is strange. If you input "Soraghan Mayflower Moving & Storage" on Google, a site comes up saying that it is a Mayflower agent and has USDOT #806768. But none of the links off the home page work. Perhaps it has gone out of business?

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:46 pm

Amos,

And Mayflower say these guys are an agent for them? What numbers do you have for MAyflower, not the agent and the claims department. This i something perhaps 23 can answer in more detail.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:08 am

Wow! I checked their DOT number listed on the website Diane was talking about, DOT#806768. Soroghan Logistics Division. They have current licenses since 1999. THen I clicked on the SafeStat page to see if the most recent Out Of Service isue affecting Amos was listed, and their record is TERRIBLE! This is actually worse than many scammers I've seen!

Driver inspections:

Operating a CMV without a CDL (once)
Driving a CMV (CDL) while disqualified (once)
Driving a CMV while disqualified (once)

OPERATING VEHICLE IN VIOLATION OF LOCAL/STATE LAWS (once)
10 hour rule violation (twice)
60/70 hour rule violation (once)
No drivers record of duty status (once)
False report of drivers record of duty status (twice)
Driver failing to retain previous 7 days logs (five times)

Add to that 7 speeding tickets and a following too closely.

Then the vehicle inspections (count the number of times "brakes" is used):

Driver load securement (once)
39FAILING TO SECURE BRAKE HOSE/TUBING AGAINST MECHANICAL DAMAGE (once)
FAILING TO EQUIP VEHICLE WITH OPERATIVE BRAKES (twice)
No/defective turn/hazard lamp as required (twice)
Axle positioning parts defective/missing (twice)
Stop lamp violations (four times)
Brake tubing and hose adequacy (twice)
Brake hose/tubing chaffing and/or kinking (once)
Inadequate brake lining for safe stopping (twice)
Inoperable lamp (other than head/tail) (twice)
Inspection/repair and maint parts & accssries (four times)
Brake-out of adjustment (five times)

Out of these 28 violations, only four of them were repeat vehicles (two times two trucks), but not for the same violation.

Amos, unless it just hasn't been inputted yet, there is no record matching what the driver has told you about being stuck in Arkansas getting his truck fixed. There is a report from Oct 10 for faulty brakes, but this was in Maryland, not Arkansas. I would think that by this time, the report would be in, it's been over a month. Maybe this was a line they fed you, I don't know.

Are you absolutely sure that the check was sent by Mayflower's corporate office? What was the address is was sent from/ had printed on the check? I think we're all just trying to verify if these guys are who they say they are. I also checked all over Mayflower's site, and can't find their name listed.

The website, www.soroghanmovers.com, is registered to:
Callaghan, Thomas
(TC11233)
t_callaghan@SORAGHANMOVERS.COM
7701 183RD ST
TINLEY PARK, IL 60477-6219
US
Phone: (708) 429-1133
Fax: (708) 429-5203

Then there's this:
TINLEY PARK
Movers recognized

Soraghan Moving & Storage Inc. in Tinley Park, an agent of household goods carrier Mayflower Transit, recently was honored by the van line for exceptional professional performance.

The recognition was conferred during Mayflower's 2004 Convention, which took place in Phoenix, Ariz.

Kindof conflicting reports.

I checked the address using Keyhole, and it is a warehouse with several trailers parked outside, some of them look green. Hard to tell from straight up.

Wait.... If you go to Google and input "soraghan movers", there's more info. Here, (with the same address) they are agents of Wheaton Van Lines, and seem to have at least two problems.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/g ... &no=993015

http://www.avatar-moving.com/kb/wwwboar ... s/563.html (this one sounds like a hostage load situation)

I noticed that both times (and with Amos), they claimed something wrong with the truck as the reason for delay.
Last edited by MusicMom on Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:25 am

And this is why we love Music mom and why this site is so unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

So guest, was it Wheaton?
Michael

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:26 am

PS, Great job of investigating Musicmom.
Michael

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:34 am

It looks like older references from Googlwle place them with Wheaton, but now they are using Mayflower.

They are not listed on either Mayflower or Wheaton's sites.

Is it possible that this company is using the names of the majors without the consent of Mayflower or Wheaton, or is it more likely that Wheaton and Mayflower have missing info in their database? Has anyone tried to call either major to verify that Soraghan/Soroghan is an agent?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:46 am

Their BBB report shows they are members, but the report is being updated, so no other info is avaialable.

http://www.chicago.bbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=3475

It also says they've been in business since 1973, but their license is from 1999. I wonder what their previous license number was?

Also, now when i click on www.soraghanmovers.com, I get an error message. I am forbidden to view this page???

amoswb

Postby amoswb » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:20 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should move forward with this. I have received my check for the damaged washing machine but am still very upset with how I was treated. This outfit was a piece of work....any advice from you folks was be appreciated. Thanks. Amoswb

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:20 pm

Hi - I'm very sorry that this happened to you. Fortunately, it would seem that this company is no longer an agent for Mayflower. Unfortunately, I don't think you have any basis for a delay claim according to moving company rules since your shipment was delivered three days after it was promised (promised by Tuesday, delivered on Friday). If I'm wrong about this, I hope that one of the moverguys will step in to correct me.

If I were you, I would try to chalk it up to experience. You have helped a lot of people by posting this, because people can see once again that if they are hiring a full-service moving company, it's best to hire one that is physically located near the origin or destination point of the move. Otherwise there is little or no accountability.

Your sad story also shows how important it is to have goods delivered in the same trailer they are picked up in, IF POSSIBLE (not always possible with the major van lines during the busy summer months). Transfers, especially into and out of warehouses, are not only expensive for the moving company, they expose possessions to the possibility of damage. Nearly all of the damage that I know about that has occurred with the freight company Broadway Express (it has been very infrequent, very minimal, and the customer has always been compensated fairly and promptly) has occurred when goods had to be transferred for some reason such as a truck breakdown.

I'm sorry to say this, but Mayflower seems to have acted appropriately according to the rules governing the moving industry. Clearly, however, their customer service skills need improvement. You might approach Rich McClure, the CEO of UniGroup, with your story to see whether you get a better response. You might at least get an apology, although I don't think you have any basis for monetary compensation. Mr. McClure has said in People magazine that he is available to help in situations like this:
Rich McClure wrote:If you have a problem, call me. I'm the CEO. My telephone number is 636-349-2560.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:10 pm

I think first you have to make sure they are a Mayflower rep if your going to call Rich. Best thing to do is to call Mayflower HQ's first to imply into whether they are an active agent or not.

As far as the claims and such. You can file one claim, thats it. If you did it on the washer, your done. Unfortunatley. Again, with late claim for delivery, if you filed one claim already your done, so even if they did delivery three days later then Tuesday, if that was your last day in the spread, you cant file a claim, well you can but I am sure it would be denied.

The name always ringed a bell with me as a Mayflower agent, but I couldnt find any info. That is why I asked 23 to step in and see what he could find out.

He is closer to them then I am.

Best of luck,
Michael

Return to “Open Community”