Moving from Redwood City, CA to The Woodlands, TX

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
wbell

Moving from Redwood City, CA to The Woodlands, TX

Postby wbell » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:05 pm

Earlier today, I received in-home visits from Atlas Van Lines (Peeters Transportation) and United Van Lines (Chipman Relocations). Of the companies I called, they were the only ones to respond promptly and willing to schedule an in-home estimate. I need to have the movers pick up my belongings next week (27th or 28th), so time is of the essence.

I am also having my car shipped to Texas, but I'll post that information later.

My questions are:
1. Anyone have any experience with either of these companies?
2. Any suggestions as to other companies I should call?

If anyone is interested, I'll post the key numbers from the estimates after I receive them later today.

Warren

Michael

Re: Moving from Redwood City, CA to The Woodlands, TX

Postby Michael » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:15 pm

Warren,

Both are good companies. So I think your safe there. Discuss with eachone their capabilities of shipping your car. Both companies have the ability to put your car on the same truck as your household goods.

And yes, please do come back and post your numbers. It never hurts to completely understand what your getting. Well of course unless you do already.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

wbell

Postby wbell » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:41 pm

Good suggestion Michael. I planned on shipping my car via an auto transport company and have received several bids ranging from $700 - $950. I would post their names & prices, but don't have that information with me. I'll ask the moving companies if they handle cars.

Atlas' bid just showed up. According to them, my stuff weighs 4,000 lbs. and their binding estimate totals $3,454. Major components: $2,420 trans. charge, $242 fuel surcharge, $444 to pack, $116 for a second P/U, $11 to unpack, etc., etc.

Bid from United is supposed to arrive later today.

What does the Item 60 IRR and Item 135 fee represent?

Warren

Postby 23 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:23 pm

What does the Item 60 IRR and Item 135 fee represent?

IRR is the insurance related surcharge and should be 4% of discounted linehaul.

Item 135 is extra labor I believe. Been awhile since I have seen an estimate. What amount is the item 135 charge? If that isn't right, I would bet it is either the origin or dest fee.

wbell

Postby wbell » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:36 pm

IRR is the insurance related surcharge and should be 4% of discounted linehaul.

Correct, it is shown as 4% (of the trans. charge). In this case, $96.81.

Item 135 is extra labor I believe. Been awhile since I have seen an estimate. What amount is the item 135 charge? If that isn't right, I would bet it is either the origin or dest fee.

They charge $55.68 on the orig. and $67.04 on the dest. for Item 135. That's a bit surprising since they are picking up from two locations but delivering to only one.

Thanks for the explanation.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:49 pm

Is the item 135 based on weight or hours? I think it is the origin and destination service fees. It is on every shipment and changes due to what county and local cost level you are moving to and from. It is to compensate drivers more for loading in metropolitan areas where labor, parking, etc costs are higher.

me/michael

Postby me/michael » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:13 pm

Warren,

I believe what your seeing is the orig fee and dest fee. Not ex labor. I believe its item 35 not 135. You will see the same thing from United.

Best of luck,

wbell

Postby wbell » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:21 pm

The Item 135 fees are calculated based upon weight (4,000 lbs.). The orig. rate is 1.39 and the dest. rate is 1.68.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:55 pm

I checked the 400 N, and they are your origin and destination service fees. These are not option, but are a required line item that will be included in any estimate based upon the 400N tariff.

Postby 23 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:16 pm

Nancy is good!

Just be thankful you aren't moving to Canada, then the dest. fee would be around $16/cwt. Very Very expensive.

Anyways, I wish you luck!

wbell

Postby wbell » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:40 pm

United's estimate arrived an hour ago and their non-binding cost is $3,525 ($3,878 @ 110% of estimated charges). Key segments: $2,270 trans. charge, $331 for containers and packing, $409 for shuttle (more on that later), $204 fuel surcharge, $100 extra labor, etc., etc.

The biggest difference between the two bids is how they will handle picking up my goods from a storage facility. I took both reps to the facility (not at the same time) so they could see both the place and items to be moved. The rep for United said she had been to the place before and that their trucks (18 wheelers) cannot fit in the facility's lot. They will have to use a shuttle and that will cost an extra $409. When I called Atlas' rep. to ask if they needed to shuttle, she said their 18 wheelers could fit in the lot and that it wouldn't be a problem. Is Atlas being too aggressive or United too conservative? Does the United rep really know something, or is she just pulling my leg? Is the Atlas rep making an risky guess? Would Atlas try to charge me for a shuttle later if their truck didn't fit?

Other than that, the bid are relatively close. Not only is Atlas between $90 - $400 lower, but their bid is binding. Of course, part of the price difference is due to Atlas' est. weight for my goods being 124 lbs. lower than United's.

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:43 pm

I would plan on having a shuttle if I was you. Is one company being to aggressive, and the other being to conservative, probably yes. However i can not tell you how many times the sales person has told the customer. We can get one of our trucks in there no problem, then i couldn't. Or no way we cant get one of our trucks in there then i did. (sometimes i suprise myself) It depends on a lot of things starting with who you get for a driver. Does he have a conventional or a cab over truck, does he have a 53 a 50 or a 48 foot trl. Is the turn or back in from the left side or the right. How wide is the street or alley, where are the cars parked? Basically if there is a chance of a shuttle, it is better to plan on paying for one and not having to then the other way around.

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:08 am

Huh? I don't think I've ever been more confused that I am after reading that last post.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:30 am

Well that didnt confuse me and he/she makes some great points.

First and formost, it is the drivers call as to if he/she will need a shuttle. Because the sales person does not know of the EXACT truck coming to pick you up, it would be best to guess on the high side, "yes a shuttle is needed", then to say no way a shuttle is needed.

Lets say for sake of arguement, that a shuttle is needed, then yes you will be charged for it. Then you go through the whole process of signing an addendum and so on.

Lets say the driver can get his/her truck into the storage facility. Well then United does not charge you for the shuttle.

So I guess you have to decide on which side you want to error on.

One thing to do is ask the storage management if they have ever seen an 18 wheeler back there. But the thing to leep in mind is not all 18 wheelers are the same size. Most standard 18 wheelers are 65-67 feet long including the cab.

So I would tell you to ask the atlas agent to quote you on a shuttle. In this industry its better to have overestimated and be wrong, and cost the customer less. Then to underestimate and be wrong and charge the customer more.

And believe me from personally experiencing shuttles where I didnt think one was needed, or my quality control manager, the driver has the right to call for the shuttle or refuse the shipment. And that happen to me with a United driver.

So errrrrrr on the side of the shuttle.

My suggestion anyway.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

wbell

Postby wbell » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:49 pm

Thanks for the comments.

I stopped by the storage facility this afternoon and the rep on duty said 18 wheeler trucks can fit into the facility's lot. He said moving companies have been able to bring the big trucks inside the lot and navigate around the building without a problem.

The movers will be arriving tomorrow morning, so we'll see what happens.

Return to “Open Community”